yconic - Queen's or U of T?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queen's or U of T?

A photo of laurarner laurarner
I got into Queen's, Waterloo and Laurier. I'm still waiting on U of T, I do expect an acceptance. :P

Where should I go? I love Toronto and I love the U of T campus. But my family wants me to go to Queen's.

Downsides, upsides?

My average last year was in the high 80s, right about now it's around 84%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

A photo of MattUK MattUK
You make it sound like there's a choice!
I'm not sure what you want to do, but U of T is probably the better school. :thumright
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of eddyhe eddyhe
my average is also around 84%. Toronto is the best:bom:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MattUK wrote
You make it sound like there's a choice!
I'm not sure what you want to do, but U of T is probably the better school. :thumright

Yeah. I talked to my guidance councilor today, and she said U of T is the better choice... Kingston doesn't do it for me at all. Maybe I'll do grad school there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 6x7 6x7
U of T, you kidding me for even asking that question?

Lol, just kidding- but no, really, choose U of T.

Check the programs, the alumni, the Nobel Prize winning professors, amazing research programs, and extra-curriculars, HART HOUSE! U of T has so much to offer, even a list of language courses (They event each Finnish, 15 cases and all!). Plus, Toronto has so much to offer as a city- more internships and opporunity for jobs etc. :)

The college system also makes it more prestigious, if that's what your are heading for.

Also, it's one the top internationally ranked universities in Canada (tying with McGill for top in Canada).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ Half of what you listed should really only matter to grad students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725
If your only reason for wanting to go to Queen's is that your parents want you to... then don't go to Queen's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 6x7 6x7

@ktel wrote

Ah, you're right. I'm just trying to list as much as I can though! Who knows if the OP wants to do grad school or not? Either way, a diploma is not enough these days. Internships, and EC's matter just as much. U of T is great for networking, as well as having diverse programs as well <- That's what I am trying to say. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I want to double major in Fine Arts and something along the lines of Equality and Diversity. I'm not sure Queen's has those.

I'm just saying, I keep being attacked by Kingston-pushers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@6x7 wrote

@ktel wrote

Ah, you're right. I'm just trying to list as much as I can though! Who knows if the OP wants to do grad school or not? Either way, a diploma is not enough these days. Internships, and EC's matter just as much. U of T is great for networking, as well as having diverse programs as well <- That's what I am trying to say. :)

A much better way to put it. Obviously I love U of T, am going there now for grad school, but thinks like prestige, endowment size, research funding, famous professors etc. aren't going to affect the average undergrad too much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 6x7 6x7

@ktel wrote

A much better way to put it. Obviously I love U of T, am going there now for grad school, but thinks like prestige, endowment size, research funding, famous professors etc. aren't going to affect the average undergrad too much.

That's true - and I think I got ahead of myself there ahahaha!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AgriGen AgriGen
Queens will be much funner.

Uoft will have better academics.

Great schools either way :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RhiannaJK RhiannaJK
I've been accepted to U of T and plan on going next year; I absolutely love Toronto and the U of T campus! Queen's has a beautiful campus as well, but you're going to get a much more interesting experience in Toronto than you will at Kingston in terms of city life. Kingston is a very nice place (I've lived there my whole life), but I wouldn't say it's fantastic enough to be one of your main reasons for going to Queen's. U of T is superior in terms of academics so that, in combination with the fact that you seem to like its location and campus better, should give you your answer. ;)

Definitely don't go to Queen's just because your parents want you to! They say school you go to for undergrad doesn't matter much anyway, so you might as well go to the one you personally will like better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Omok Omok

@laurarner wrote
I want to double major in Fine Arts and something along the lines of Equality and Diversity. I'm not sure Queen's has those.

I'm just saying, I keep being attacked by Kingston-pushers.

Kingston's, alright. I'm a toronto native, and it was really disappointing to me (at first) to be thrown to the middle of no where....=_=; (but once you get use to it, it's quite homey). We have all the amenities you would ever want/need, with less of a variety. But it's still, meh, you know, just, beautiful kingston. ;)

On the topic though:

If you want fine arts; don't come to Queen's.

Why?

Our department was canceled this year. =_=; haha. There's no longer any fine arts program at queen's university. woot. :l

;)

one last dorky remark to boost my Ego:

Queen's is harder to get in than UT, and by flawed logistics, it means Queen's is better. Kaythxbye. :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of icey icey

@laurarner wrote
I got into Queen's, Waterloo and Laurier. I'm still waiting on U of T, I do expect an acceptance. :P

Where should I go? I love Toronto and I love the U of T campus. But my family wants me to go to Queen's.

Downsides, upsides?

The UofT campus was a huge factor in my decision as well :cheers: (I'm a 4th year student majoring in Physics and English). Learning environment is very important, and so is the city you're going to be living in, in my opinion. You'll be just next to a whole host of restaurants and shops and bars and so on... :D. While both Universities are great, from what I'm hearing in your post, it sounds to me that you really want to go to UofT. I really think you should follow your heart - you are going to be the one doing the degree, after all, not your family :).

You mentioned that you were interested in double majoring; the great thing about UofT is that it's really flexible and you'll be able to tailor your program to take the courses you want to, as long as you satisfy all the requirements by the time you graduate. You also mentioned you were interested in studying something along the lines of Equality and Diversity. UofT has a lot of great, interdisciplinary programs focusing on equality and diversity! For instance, there's Equity Studies (which includes courses focusing on Disability Studies if you're interested in that, but also global food equity and social advocacy), offered through New College. There's also Sexual Diversity Studies, a whole host of cultural studies (East Asian studies, African Studies, Slavic Studies, and what have you), ... I took a sexual diversity studies course and really enjoyed it :).

Unfortunately, since I don't go to queen's, I can't give you an opinion on that!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SKHL SKHL

@laurarner wrote

Downsides, upsides?

Echoing many of the comments here, I don't think anyone can properly compare Queen's and U of T unless they've spent a part of their undergraduate education in both institutions. Speaking from my experience at U of T, I have absolutely loved it. Toronto is an amazing city, I'm very happy to have moved here from across the country, the U of T campus is amazing and very integrated in the city, while also having a distinct campus feel.

Research is more graduate-focused, but that being said there are a multitude of opportunities for undergraduates to get involved in research at U of T. And star professors do teach at the undergraduate level here - I have had some great professors teach my classes, and hope to encounter many more in upper year courses.

And as others have said, it's probably not the best idea to go to a school simply because your family wants you to go there. You'll enjoy a place best when it's the one you want to go to!

Which college did you apply to?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of UofTStudent UofTStudent
I had a similar experience in grade 12 when trying to decide where I would go to university. A number of my aunts and uncles went to Queen's and were on me constantly about picking it because it was the best. While I liked Queen's and I was offered a pretty big scholarship to go there, and I had all these people telling me I should go because of their amazing experiences, I still couldn't seem to shake the feeling that it wasn't the right place for me. It was the first university I visited and I loved it when I toured it, so always thought that I would end up there, but when I visited U of T and did a tour at the college of my choice, I knew that U of T was where I was meant to be. My aunts and uncles loved Queen's because it was right for them, but the U of T was right for me for a number of reasons. Personally, I would suggest you go on tours at both of your choices if you can to determine how you feel at each campus. For me, being in an amazing city with so many cultural experiences available to me outside of the beautiful U of T campus where I could see myself living and going to class was what made it right for me. Whichever choice you make, I would suggest that it might be helpful to determine what your criteria are for what you would deem a good university experience. I wanted a big city environment that would enrich my academic experience, but there are many other factors that can be appealing to different people; the choice is yours, that's what's so great! Best of luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kathleenUofT kathleenUofT

@laurarner wrote

Downsides, upsides?

The University of Toronto is a great school! I am in my third year at UofT St. George campus and I love it here! Does your family have specific reasons for wanting you to go to Queens? If you feel strongly about going to the University of Toronto (and I’m glad you do!!) You can counter their argument in saying that the quality of education at UofT is unparalleled by any other in Ontario. The professors who teach you are the leaders of their academic fields and you will have access to numerous research and leadership opportunities making you a more competitive candidate when entering the work force. In addition, I feel like the social scene is far more diverse at UofT than at queens. Because the University of Toronto is located in the downtown core you are not limited to JUST bars and residence life. Being downtown allows you access to all the unique things the city has to offer in addition to residence parties and bars – so really, you are getting the best of both worlds. You can expect to hear from the university of Toronto in April and May so hang in there!
Good luck! Hope to see you next year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SKHL wrote

@laurarner wrote

Downsides, upsides?

And as others have said, it's probably not the best idea to go to a school simply because your family wants you to go there. You'll enjoy a place best when it's the one you want to go to!

Which college did you apply to?

I applied for New as my first and University as my second.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ariadne89 ariadne89
Definitely pick UofT. Queen's doesn't have the programs you want. As Omok said, our fine arts program has been cancelled entirely and it doesn't look like they will be reinstating it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jason202 Jason202
Queens is better than U of T for Commerce ( business programs )

but not in social sciences in terms of academics, but queens students

are recruited not only based on their academics but their E.C. and the essay.

U of T has more programs to offer and Toronto is a great location.

Kingston is not so great compared to Toronto but it still has everything you need.

For better networking in arts and science, choose queens

For better academics, choose U of T.

Either way they are both good schools but i don't like u of t because its all individual play and its hard to achieve amazing GPA.

Was this helpful? Yes 0