yconic - QUEENS OR WESTERN... the great debate
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

QUEENS OR WESTERN... the great debate

A photo of illusive illusive
I seriously need help deciding between Western (Biomed with IVEY AEO) or Queen's (Science).
Please please provide as much feedback as you can. All opinions matter.
Thanks in advance!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of freebird freebird
I was in this exact situation two years ago (minus the Ivey). Queen's offered me more money, but I got a better vibe from Western. Since the programs are similar, I chose the university I felt would be the best fit for me personally. While that may not be the way most people choose, I have never regretted my decision for a second. Since I've been at Western I've become really involved in the sophing community, which has provided tons of opportunities for personal growth, and has made Western feel like home. That is far more important to me than the details of the degree I'll walk away with. That being said, there are opportunities at every university to get involved with the community if you seek it out. So really, I think you will be happy at whichever university you choose. That's probably not what you want to hear when you're trying to decide, but it's true!

If you are more concerned about the degree/program, then Ivey clearly distinguishes your two options, and I'm guessing you already have enough info about the two programs to know the pros and cons (if not, then make a list), so it comes down to what you may want to do in the future. This may be difficult to anticipate at this point, and I'm trying not to be biased, but if you aren't sure exactly what you want to do, then which keeps more options open for you?

I'm sorry that this is just a lot of me rambling and probably not a lot of useful suggestions. But like I said, I went with my gut and it's worked out beautifully!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17
I firmly believe that Queen's and Western are pretty much the same school, in different places which appeal to completely different types of people. That's a major reason why there's such a rivalry between the two schools.

I, like freebird, chose Western because of the unbelievable vibe I got from the school when I visited. My choice was between Western Health Sci/AEO and Queen's Commerce, I was accepted to both, but I just felt completely at home at Western and I didn't get that from Queen's. I strongly recommend you visit both campuses and make your decision that way, because you will have a preference for the feel of one school over the other.

I haven't regretted my university decision for a second.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of selly3PO selly3PO
Wow! You're exactly like me, and like the other two above, I've decided Western over Queens for Biomed with AEO. My parents went to attend the information night for Ivey (because I was busy studying) and recorded it for me.

Personally, I think you should visit both school first.
Then it comes down to what you want in life.
I've never taken business before, but I am open to the idea of doing Ivey because it builds leaders, despite what you decide to go into in the future.
It also provide me with a back up if my ultimate plan of going into med school fails.

Western is also closer to home, for me.
It depends. What bothers me is Western's reputation as a party school because in a way, it brings down the great school that Western really is.
I think if people got to know the school better and see what it has to offer, they'd realise that Western is actually a great choice.

Queens is more tight knit community, a medium sized university.
Western is a larger university, with a more city-like feel.

When I went to the open houses, I enjoyed both atmospheres. However, the people at Western were more welcoming and friendly whereas the people at Queen's didn't seem to care too much about us.

Both are great schools. But sit down and think about it.
And make sure whatever decision you make you're able to know that that's what you want and nothing is holding you back.

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 04matt04 04matt04
I'm in (or was until a few hours ago) a similar situation as you; except that mine was between Western Biomed & McMaster Life Science. I live near Hamilton, so I know the Mac campus and the city of Hamilton VERY well, and I attended May@May - I was pretty sure that I wanted to go to Mac by the end of May@Mac.

HOWEVER, today I went to visit Western, and I absolutely fell in love with it the second I stepped on campus. Trust me, if you visit both campuses, your decision will be made so much clearer. And when you do end up visiting, go with your gut instinct - other people's opinions are great, but if you can't see yourself living there happily for four years, then why bother?

ps, you'll probably love Western, and London is a cool city.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of illusive illusive
Ahh, thank you guys so much for your help! I'm still torn but I'm now leaning more towards Western. I really need to find time to visit both campuses.

Does anyone know if it's possible to minor in global studies/international relations at Western?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
^ No. You can take courses in that subject area though. Having a minor doesn't count for anything.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emotycka emotycka
Actually you can minor in global studies. I have a friend who is doing an honours spec in health promotion and a minor in global studies. She's going to end up with a Bachelor of Health Science.(The minor is offered through Huron, but Main campus students can still take it) They have one in globalization too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
You have Ivey AEO status with Western. Thus your admission to science at Western is vastly superior. Standing alone, both science programs are fairly comparable and can be boiled down to your preference of university. Both universities are equipped with a medical school and a fairly high standard of academia. Both universities make significant cuts to their initial pool of students in first year. Both universities do have people that end up in medicine and other "high profile" careers.

However, if you are intending to gain some sort of additional business knowledge or even a double degree, Western is definitely a better choice for you. It also might be interesting to note that Queen's does offer a minor program as well. I'm unsure of the logistics for minoring with a science degree (I've only ever investigated it for their commerce program), but you'll still be able to have a diversity of academic interests at Queen's.

I won't comment on the social aspects and overall environment of either university, since you likely have already formed your conclusions about each university.

Consider what you want to do with your degree. If the answer is strictly medicine, the Ivey program might not be the highest priority to you. In pursuing a science degree though, it's very good to keep your options open in the scenario that you don't make it into professional school (or even graduate school). Conversely, your GPA might be noticeably lower in trying to juggle a double degree, which in turn hinders your chances to get into medicine. It might be a balancing act and require an additional year to complete your double degree, but I would personally suggest Western.

Also, this is just your undergraduate degree. It's not so much the undergraduated you go to (particularly for science), but what you're able to do with it personally. Pick an environment in which you will thrive the most, and you can't go wrong. The success of your future is ultimately determined by you, not your degree.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emotycka emotycka

@onlymatthew wrote
You have Ivey AEO status with Western. Thus your admission to science at Western is vastly superior. Standing alone, both science programs are fairly comparable and can be boiled down to your preference of university. Both universities are equipped with a medical school and a fairly high standard of academia. Both universities make significant cuts to their initial pool of students in first year. Both universities do have people that end up in medicine and other "high profile" careers.

However, if you are intending to gain some sort of additional business knowledge or even a double degree, Western is definitely a better choice for you. It also might be interesting to note that Queen's does offer a minor program as well. I'm unsure of the logistics for minoring with a science degree (I've only ever investigated it for their commerce program), but you'll still be able to have a diversity of academic interests at Queen's.

I won't comment on the social aspects and overall environment of either university, since you likely have already formed your conclusions about each university.

Consider what you want to do with your degree. If the answer is strictly medicine, the Ivey program might not be the highest priority to you. In pursuing a science degree though, it's very good to keep your options open in the scenario that you don't make it into professional school (or even graduate school). Conversely, your GPA might be noticeably lower in trying to juggle a double degree, which in turn hinders your chances to get into medicine. It might be a balancing act and require an additional year to complete your double degree, but I would personally suggest Western.

Also, this is just your undergraduate degree. It's not so much the undergraduated you go to (particularly for science), but what you're able to do with it personally. Pick an environment in which you will thrive the most, and you can't go wrong. The success of your future is ultimately determined by you, not your degree.

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheLaw TheLaw
Western is Bestern.
Was this helpful? Yes 0