yconic - Queen's PSE Activity Hours
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queen's PSE Activity Hours

A photo of CCromwell CCromwell
Hi everyone,

I'm filling out my PSE and supplementary application for Queen's Commerce and it asks for involvement in extracurricular activities and the number of hours that you've devoted over the year.

The thing is, it only gives you space to list five activities. I'm involved in A LOT of extracurriculars and I have big leadership positions in most of them (president, VP, founder, etc.) but since I'm involved in so many things most of them only amount to about 2 hours per week for the school year. I have only like 2 activities that are more than 150 hours over the entire year. Does this completely take me out of the running? How much do they look at the hours compared to the essays?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm sort of in the same situation for this one, although I didn't have to do the PSE/Commerce essay since I was a Chancellor's nominee.

Now that I'm starting my Ivey and Schulich applications though I'm wondering the same thing... how much do the hours really matter? For example, in my Chancellor's app, I wrote what I have been told by past winners is a really strong essay based on an activity that I did for only 50 hours last year and about 180 hours this year. Do they look down on this?

Anyone who has been accepted to Queen's/Ivey/Schulich/any other business school care to weigh in on this one?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The amount of time put in an activity makes a difference but what makes a bigger difference is what you do with that time.

For example, saying that you are a general member for club 'X' and spending 10 hours a week at meetings (if it was possible) would not be beneficial.

Universities (especially in the states) LOVE devotion and passion to an activity. Just pick the five extracurriculars that you have the most passion for. These do not have to be the most time consuming.

Both of you should not worry too much about this and should just pick your best extracurriculars and write about them. They will probably not be your deciding factor for acceptance.

For the Chancellor's nomination, just pick your strongest activity.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CCromwell CCromwell
Okay cool, thanks so much for your help!

Just out of curiosity though, how many hours/week would you say is reasonable to devote to extracurriculars and work? I don't have a job but I'm putting in about 25h/week for ECs, which to me feels like a lot. But then on here I see people saying that they work 20h/week with 20 extra hours of ECs.

Are these people exceptions, or are they the norm for people who actually get admitted to the top business schools?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CCromwell wrote
Okay cool, thanks so much for your help!

Just out of curiosity though, how many hours/week would you say is reasonable to devote to extracurriculars and work? I don't have a job but I'm putting in about 25h/week for ECs, which to me feels like a lot. But then on here I see people saying that they work 20h/week with 20 extra hours of ECs.

Are these people exceptions, or are they the norm for people who actually get admitted to the top business schools?

The amount of devotion is more than enough for acceptance into any Canadian business university.

People on studentawards are keeners. 25h/week is enough devotion to be a strong contender for the Chancellor's Award. What is more important is what you do in that 25 hours and how you write about it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0