yconic - Queen's Residences
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queen's Residences

A photo of infantis infantis
Really leaning towards Queen's right now, I've already been admitted for the Science program. Just wondering what the best residence is. I don't really care if it's a single or double room. I'm more interested in where the best balance is, in terms of the social scene and proximity to classes(specifically science buildings).
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of americanbeauty americanbeauty
I can't tell you the proximity to science buildings, but I know the most desired residences are Leggett and Watts because they are single with a shared bathroom and fairly new. In terms of social scene they're a little quieter, but you'll still have parties. They are on the main campus so you will have easy access to other buildings.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725
Take a look at the map:

http://residences.housing.queensu.ca/our-buildings/virtual-tour/

It's hard to tell which residence will be close to the science classes because in reality there are several buildings that your classes could be in. In terms of proximity, obviously you want to be on main campus. As you can see though, all of the res buildings are really close together, so it won't make too much of a difference. One of my brothers lived in Vic hall (the X shaped one) and loved that most of his classes were right across the street since he was a physics student (I think a lot of physical sciences are held in Sterling). My sister lived in Ban Righ which was nice since it's pretty centrally located. A lot of science courses are in the biosci complex, which is on the far east side of campus.

Just a heads up though, you don't actually get to choose which building you're in, just the room type. Watts and Leggett are the "nice" ones which have singles with a shared bathroom, most of the others are singles/doubles, and the triples are in Vic. Pretty sure Addie and Ban Righ are all female.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ariadne89 ariadne89
Everything is very close (ie. 10 mins or less) to classes/library/cafs except for Waldron Tower and the West campus residences. First year bio and chem classes are mostly in bio-sci and chernoff, physics and engineering are usually in Stirling. Legget is by far the best residence because it has semi-private bathrooms and is newer, but most people won't get into it (it's randomly done by lottery). The social scene is pretty party hardy in all of the residences, so don't worry about that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of willeh willeh
I went to the Queens march break open house and had a tour of the whole school, including the residence. The campus looked kinda dull, but I figured that's probably because it was still winter so there was no green at all, just grey buildings everywhere. The buildings themselves did look pretty good. The campus is pretty small, (I went to UofT too and there's a big difference in size). It probably would only take 10mins walking to get from one end of the campus to the other, so the position of the residence doesn't really matter that much. The residence building I toured was dorm style, the building was pretty clean and nice, but I felt that the double room was a bit too small for two people, the bed and desks took up most of the space. But I'd say it's still manageable. There were a lot of bathrooms/washrooms though, on one side of a hallway there were rooms and on the other side there were all single bathrooms/washrooms, it almost looked like each room had its own bathroom/washroom, so there's no worries of sharing the bathroom with the entire floor.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ariadne89 ariadne89
Sounds you like saw Vic. There isn't a bathroom for every room, but overall it's not too bad. In the Vic wing that I lived in, each side of the hallway had five bathrooms (three with showers, two with just sink and a toilet), for I think about 16 people on our side of the hallway. In the mornings or on Friday evenings when everybody was getting ready to go out, you would sometimes have to wait for a shower, but a lot of people will switch to showering at night or randomly in the afternoon to avoid the busier times. Aside from the morning rush, it's rare to have to wait to use the bathroom. However, in a way you are pretty much sharing with your entire floor (within your wing), because it's not like people only use the bathroom that is closet to their room. Most people just use any shower or bathroom that is free, and that often means people from one side will go to the other side of the hallway and vice versa, so don't get the idea that you only have to share the bathroom across from you with one other person.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725
Ariadne (or anyone else who has lived in Queen's res), did you find it to be excessively noisy?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ohbirdd ohbirdd
Do students usually get one of their top three choices in the residence application?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of finnska finnska
People definitely usually get one of their top 3 choices. Not sure if you can still change your preferences but there is in a way to tweak it. For example, if you are really set on getting a single room and don't care what residence you are in then you can rank your top choices as all different types of singles (single, single - female/male residence only or single w/o meal plan).

Next thing I'll say, as cheesy as it sounds, residence is what you make of it. I lived in Victoria Hall this year and despite its reputation as being the "party rez" etc. it really wasn't bad at all. I loved my time there. No matter what res you are in (with exception of the study floor) it will get noisy from time to time. Vic is one of the louder residences, but this is only because you have 800-900 people living in the building. In addition, the only time it might be "excessively noisy" is during the weekend at night, but chances are you are going to be going out or hanging out with friends at this time anyways.

Also really don't worry about the distance from residence to any building on campus, the farthest building that you will have class in is 10 minutes at most (that's walking very leisurely). It may be hard to see on the map but Queen's campus is quite small and it's perfect when you have an 8:30 class and you live in Vic hall and you just have to cross the street to get to class :P.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ohbirdd ohbirdd
Thank you Finnska! So excited to move in this September!
Was this helpful? Yes 0