yconic - Queens Vs. McMaster Vs. Western Vs. Waterloo
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queens Vs. McMaster Vs. Western Vs. Waterloo

A photo of HereisGianni HereisGianni
Hello!

I'm a Grade. 12 student that has applied to the schools listed in the subject.
I have applied to Queen's Science, McMaster Health/Life Science, Waterloo Life/Health Sci (Co-op) and Western Health Sci.

My Grade. 12 average is around 93% and I have been offered admissions to:
McMaster Life Sci, (Health Sci is still pending)
Waterloo Life/Health Sci (Co-op)
Western Health Sci

I am pretty sure I will get accepted to Queen's Sciences (at least I have my head up high). But I am curious as to which of these schools I should accept the offer to (I want to go to Med School, obviously)

I know McMaster Health sci is prestigious and unique, although I haven't heard much about their Life Sci.

I applied to Queen's because I love the campus and my big brother goes there :)

Waterloo I hear has a great co-op program which offers experience in the field of study, which is important.

And I just recently visited Western and I loved it, although I was reading some threads and noticed the Health sci is more of a social sci, and biomed is the way to go...
Which also brings up the question, would I be able to switch into bio med if I accepted the offer to the health sci? (1st year)
Note: I really liked Western, but due to the fact that I mistakenly applied to Health Sci instead of Bio Med which is more medical science.. has disrupted me from going there.

Any tips, I'm very nervous on what school I should accept, to me this is a critical decision!!! (As well as to others) but for me its an anxiety case! All help is appreciated!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
If med school is your dream, you definitely want to go to a school that's going to allow you to maintain a high GPA.
I would say Western would be the best choice of all the places you applied to, but like you said, Biomed is a better program there than Health Sci, I actually didn't even know they had Health Sci at Western.
I think Waterloo would be a good second choice and the hardest would be Mac/Queens.
But if you choose Western, make sure you hang around the right kind of people.. I hear that it's quite the party school.
:P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
If med school is your dream, you definitely want to go to a school that's going to allow you to maintain a high GPA.
I would say Western would be the best choice of all the places you applied to, but like you said, Biomed is a better program there than Health Sci, I actually didn't even know they had Health Sci at Western.
I think Waterloo would be a good second choice and the hardest would be Mac/Queens.
But if you choose Western, make sure you hang around the right kind of people.. I hear that it's quite the party school.
:P

Yes Western is great, and I planned on accepting the offer until I realized the Health sci is more of a social sci. Do you have any idea if I would be able to switch into the biomed program? Or would I have to take health sci first year then switch into biomed second year, and if that would be the case is that a big deal?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Well, I don't think it really matters right now what you get admitted to.
From what I know and have been told, most science students take the same general science courses the first year.. so the 100 level chem, bio, phys, math.. etc..
And then they declare their "major" in second year, so I doubt it would matter what program you got admitted to to start with.
Different story if you're switching faculties, but since you're in the same faculty, it shouldn't be difficult.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh ok I see
It's just that my friend applied to and got offered an admission to the Biomed at Western. If we both go there we'll most likely be 'roomies'. If I was in Health sci and he in biomed, would we have similar schedules?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy
The health science and biomed first year programs at Western have very different schedules, for example health science first year courses are:

Health Sciences 1001A/B with a mark of at least 60%;
Health Sciences 1002A/B with a mark of at least 60%;
Biology 1222 or 1223 (also known as the "easy" biology)

while the biomed first year courses are:

Biology 1001A and 1002B
Chemistry 1100A and 1200B
Calculus 1000A or 1100A (plus another mathematics course second semester)
Physics 1028A/1301A and 1029B/1302B

If you want to go into the medical science after first year, you can't get into it with your first year health science courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well I just re-applied for the Biomed, I hope I get in!

Btw, thank you for the tips/advice !
Was this helpful? Yes 0