yconic - Queen's vs. UWO vs. U of T vs. Laurier
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queen's vs. UWO vs. U of T vs. Laurier

A photo of Quickstrike Quickstrike
Which of these is best for Arts + has a good social life?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
72 replies

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17
They're all pretty much the same, except not UofT for a social life.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of clairec21 clairec21

@beyondsection17 wrote

I wouldn't say that. Western and Queen's have different types of social scenes than Toronto.
Since Queen's is in a university town, most of the partying is done in rez.
At U of T, most partying is done in clubs and bars. Just get a good fake and you'll be good to go.
I mean honestly, you're in TORONTO. How can there be no social life?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele

@clairec21 wrote

@beyondsection17 wrote

I wouldn't say that. Western and Queen's have different types of social scenes than Toronto.
At U of T, most partying is done in clubs and bars. Just get a good fake and you'll be good to go.

Exactly! This is what bugs me when people say that U of T has no social life. You're living smack in the middle of one of Canada's biggest and most diverse cities (assuming you're at St. George). If you can't find something to do, it's YOUR fault.

Just my opinion lol...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@steele wrote

@clairec21 wrote

@beyondsection17 wrote

Exactly! This is what bugs me when people say that U of T has no social life. You're living smack in the middle of one of Canada's biggest and most diverse cities (assuming you're at St. George). If you can't find something to do, it's YOUR fault.

Just my opinion lol...

I'd like to point out that neither of you have actually been UofT students yet.

I honestly wish you both the best of luck.

PS: Most of the partying in university is done in bars too. Only first years live in res, remember? And even they get tired of res parties by halfway through the year. :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom

@beyondsection17 wrote

@steele wrote

@clairec21 wrote

@beyondsection17 wrote

Just my opinion lol...

I'd like to point out that you are not a University of Toronto student either.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@littleroom wrote

@beyondsection17 wrote

@steele wrote

@clairec21 wrote

@beyondsection17 wrote

Just my opinion lol...

I'd like to point out that you are not a University of Toronto student either.

That's very true, and I'm sure every situation is different, but I've known many incredibly social people who have gone to UofT all excited to be in the Toronto scene, and have come to terms with the reality that people who go to school in a commuter town go to school in the morning, go to class, and go home to study - and are rarely interested in anything else.

I hope it's different for you - but talk to me in January and tell me if I'm wrong.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@beyondsection17 wrote

That's very true, and I'm sure every situation is different, but I've known many incredibly social people who have gone to UofT all excited to be in the Toronto scene, and have come to terms with the reality that people who go to school in a commuter town go to school in the morning, go to class, and go home to study - and are rarely interested in anything else.

I hope it's different for you - but talk to me in January and tell me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, I definitely don't expect the partying to be on the same level as Western, but I have a few friends at U of T who said they had an amazing time. And like you said, I'm sure every situation is different.
The commuting thing does kinda suck, but personally, I've had four years of house parties so I am ready for Toronto nightlife. I'm not really dependent on rez parties and wont be bothered by the commuters. That's just me though!

And I just realized Laurier hasn't been mentioned, haha.
I used to live in Waterloo, so I know Laurier parties a lot.
Academically, it's seen as subordinate to UW by basically everyone in Kitchener-Waterloo. It's often referred to as "the High School down the street" from UW.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ernierap ernierap

@beyondsection17 wrote

Whaa?!?! I've just finished my 4th year at U of T - it is an awesome school, awesome campus, AWESOME social life :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kdesjardins kdesjardins
U of T is a graduate school. Your merely just a income to them for taking undergraduate studies, plus there overall admission average is incredibly low for the hype the school creates.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

@ernierap wrote

@beyondsection17 wrote

Whaa?!?! I've just finished my 4th year at U of T - it is an awesome school, awesome campus, AWESOME social life :)

What were you taking if you don't mind me asking? :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
U of T is the best for Arts out of the above in terms of program and reputation, but the worst for social life.

Now the definition for "social life" is subjective. To some people, "social life" means getting drunk every weekend and MUST having lots of parties. To others, "social life" means just being able to meet nice people. U of T is fine for the latter, but you don't want to go there if you expect the best grades AND to party a lot.

But to be honest, if you REALLY want the best future, I would stratch out social life as part of your criteria or at least weigh it less lightly. To become a top student (whcih is necessary for some goals, such as being an investment banker or pursing graduate school), you're going to be studying for the majority of your free time, making the social offerings of the school largely irrelevent since you'd be busy studying anyways.

Yes, for some areas, networking is important so you would want to meet people, but at the same time, if you want only the best, you probably won't have much time to party.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Emaad13 Emaad13
If you want to go to a graduate school after Undergrad...don't go to U of T! Way too difficult to get a high GPA (which is all graduate school care about). Go to Western or Queens! (western, in my opinion, is better)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom

@Emaad13 wrote
If you want to go to a graduate school after Undergrad...don't go to U of T! Way too difficult to get a high GPA (which is all graduate school care about).

Actually, this is wrong. Graduate schools care about a lot more than GPA. Some also require you to complete and submit your performance on standardized tests (American schools need this especially). They also require letters of recommendation. Here is where UofT really comes to your advantage. We have world-class faculty. Would you rather have someone speaking confidently about your abilities who is publishing in leading journals and is esteemed in his/her field, or someone who isn't that well-recognized in academia? Finally, your research experience is very important for graduate school. You are not going to graduate school to continue getting good marks, you are going to graduate school to add to the amassed knowledge in your field. This is done through research, and those who show more ability in doing research will be more considered. Again, UofT is great for this. There are many research opportunities, and to repeat, you'll be doing it under esteemed professors.

As for GPA, yes, it's very difficult to do well here. Even people who are doing well here will tell you that. That is one disadvantage to UofT. But, know that everything I listed above can compensate for a lower GPA (although you will still need a respectable GPA to apply to graduate schools).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I know for Law School, they only look at GPA and LSAT score,and for MBA they only look at GPA and GMAT score. Other graduate programs follow a similar principle. Yes, some programs ask for EC's and stuff like that, but that can be done at Western and at U of T.

For letters of recommendation...I agree with you, U of T professors are much more acclaimed and prestigious, but Western professors are also highly acclaimed (not as much as U of T though). But that is only one aspect of the grad school application, of which GPA and test scores, and sometimes EC's, are the things that are taken into consideration the most in an application.

Honestly, if this was Life Science or something, I would say go to U of T (better reputation) but for Arts, Western is where you should go!

Considering social life...Western is definitely better (and I'm pointing this out because that is one of the things Quickstrike is considering. U of T is a commuter school, so its difficult, but not impossible to have a social life. Downtown Toronto is only good for the club life, but Western is more SOCIAL as people interact.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@Emaad13 wrote
Honestly, if this was Life Science or something, I would say go to U of T (better reputation) but for Arts, Western is where you should go!

Considering social life...Western is definitely better (and I'm pointing this out because that is one of the things Quickstrike is considering. U of T is a commuter school, so its difficult, but not impossible to have a social life. Downtown Toronto is only good for the club life, but Western is more SOCIAL as people interact.

Life Science is probably the worst thing to do at U of T, considering how many students are in it and how competitive med school is.

Why are you so hell-bent on Western? Queen's is better academically, and the social lives are pretty comparable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^LOL I never said anything about Queens...yes it is a great school, and would also be a better option than U of T. And I have stressed this, that this is just MY OPINION. Stop getting all bitchy, I'm just giving my views on the situation.

About U of T, I don't really know what is good there, I just gave a random example (of a program better at U of T than Western)Im just comparing U of T and Western, and Western is better if you're planning to go to grad school.

The way you randomly brought up Queens suggests that you're pretty hell bent on Queens (but you're going to go there, so Bias is expected) and I'm planning to go to Western...so that explains that :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zion wrote

Why are you so hell-bent on Western? Queen's is better academically, and the social lives are pretty comparable.

Actually, Queen's isn't better academically - they're pretty much identical. But if you reeeeeally want to dig into the academic details, UWO had a higher overall incoming average grade than Queen's did for 2010 - higher than every Canadian school but McGill, actually.

But yep, social scenes are pretty comparable too. The two schools have a very different feel to them though; they attract different types of people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Why is everyone determined to convince everyone that their school is better?:scratch:
Seriously, it's undergrad. If you're going for Arts and Sci, anywhere will do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@clairec21 wrote
Why is everyone determined to convince everyone that their school is better?:scratch:

Very true. I think people are more concerned about "doing right" by their school, or repping it than anything else. For example, I had no interests in posting that until I felt like my school was being misrepresented, and I had to set the record straight. :)

If you also notice, in my post I make it very clear that UWO and Queen's are pretty much identical, just appealing to different people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@beyondsection17 wrote

@Zion wrote

Actually, Queen's isn't better academically - they're pretty much identical. But if you reeeeeally want to dig into the academic details, UWO had a higher overall incoming average grade than Queen's did for 2010 - higher than every Canadian school but McGill, actually.

Maclean's ranked Queen's third in Canada and Western ninth. Obviously they're not that identical.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zion wrote

@beyondsection17 wrote

@Zion wrote

Maclean's ranked Queen's third in Canada and Western ninth. Obviously they're not that identical.

Macleans ranked Acadia 1st a couple of years ago, I've stopped caring about their rankings. As should everyone - instead, visit the schools and see where you fit best, or where you like being. It's an undergrad, and when it comes down to it, a BA is a BA.

EDIT: This. http://oncampus.macleans.ca/education/2010/11/10/where-do-i-belong/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Yeah, when I was going into first year, Western was ranked #3 (in the Medical Doctoral ranking). I don't think it changed that much over the last few years.

Also, the Maclean's rankings is such a bad way of rating the quality of undergraduation education. LOOK AT THEIR METHODOLOGY.

A better indication of how well you will be educated are the student surveys - Maclean's does one, as does the Globe and Mail.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of poeticallydemented poeticallydemented

@clairec21 wrote

+1

I've spoken to a lot of people who say that the actual academia in regards to undergrad is generic wherever you go - people choose their different schools for the 'feel' and where they feel most comfortable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of poeticallydemented poeticallydemented

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote

Also, the Maclean's rankings is such a bad way of rating the quality of undergraduation education. LOOK AT THEIR METHODOLOGY.

+1

In 2006 22 Canadian universities refused to provide information to Maclean's because their ranking system was so flawed, including basically every single school mentioned here (U of T, Western, Queen's, etc.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
Queen's and Western both do very well in student surveys. So yes, go where you feel is the best fit for you. I was just putting in a vote for Queen's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0