yconic - Queen's? Waterloo AFM-FM? Rotman?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queen's? Waterloo AFM-FM? Rotman?

A photo of leaves02 leaves02
Debating between these schools, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks alot!

:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of hairykangaroo hairykangaroo
Most will suggest queens, however if youre looking for a challenge with greater rewards, choose rotman.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@hairykangaroo wrote
Most will suggest queens, however if youre looking for a challenge with greater rewards, choose rotman.

"a challenge with greater rewards".. could you be more specific?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Queen's
AFM
Rotman
...if it were me choosing

They aren't that far apart. Examine which school you would prefer (rez, campus, social life, atmosphere, people, etc.)

As hairykangaroo noted, Rotman would be a challenge with potentially big rewards, although Queen's and AFM also offer some pretty big rewards. Can't really go wrong.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@leaves02 wrote

@hairykangaroo wrote

"a challenge with greater rewards".. could you be more specific?

Those that are at the top in the Rotman program do very well in terms of jobs and salary. They are essentially the cream of the crop.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do you guys mean Rotman is a more intense program? Sounds to me that Rotman gives more rewards than Queen's and AFM, in terms of what though? its reputation?

I don't know if i'm right, but I thought Queen's Commerce generally has like the best business reputation in Canada, and Rotman has the highest international recognition?

In terms of school atmosphere, neither Waterloo nor Queen's is perfect for me.. like I thought Queen's might be too spirited for me, but Waterloo seems too depressing.. I'm visiting UT this weekend.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hairykangaroo hairykangaroo

@leaves02 wrote
Do you guys mean Rotman is a more intense program? Sounds to me that Rotman gives more rewards than Queen's and AFM, in terms of what though? its reputation?

I don't know if i'm right, but I thought Queen's Commerce generally has like the best business reputation in Canada, and Rotman has the highest international recognition?

In terms of school atmosphere, neither Waterloo nor Queen's is perfect for me.. like I thought Queen's might be too spirited for me, but Waterloo seems too depressing.. I'm visiting UT this weekend.

Rotman is definitely the most intense in terms of curriculum difficulty, arguably the most difficult out of any undergrad business schools in canada... which is why I think a lot of applicants tend to steer away from the program. However if you can manage to be among the top students in the program with good ECs, you can apply for a full-year internship in ur third year or perhaps study abroad. However I think queens and afm provide greater opportunities for recruitment during your undergraduate studies.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PaperPen PaperPen
UT is in the middle of downtown Toronto. I've always thought of it as a commuter university, since there isn't much of a set campus; there are a lot of buildings/stores around and in the campus. The buildings are old, crumbly and has asbestos. Of course, this depends on where on the campus you will be. I haven't sensed much spirit from UT.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
Hotmail put the rotman commerce may newsletter in junk mail

computers are so smart!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
Queen's is the clear winner here, way more opportunities and will just give you the best experience. Obviously choose Queen's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GoBarca GoBarca

@leaves02 wrote
like I thought Queen's might be too spirited for me

are you serious?? lol ppl want to go to queens/western for intense school spirits and ur avoiding it? any specific reason?

for those who say "youre looking for a challenge with greater rewards, choose rotman..Those that are at the top in the Rotman program do very well in terms of jobs and salary. They are essentially the cream of the crop.".. it doesnt matter if its Rotman or not, if your the top of the program (queen's, waterloo, rotman...), u get decent interviews anywhere regardlessly ... otheriwise go to a school that provides you with better alumni network, recruitment and so on ..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
In terms of the program itself, Rotman and Queen's are pretty much on the same level.

In terms of recruitment, it varies with what you want to do, but for accounting Rotman is better and for Finance Queen's is better.

In terms of social life, it depends on you. If you were a social outcast in high school, and I don't mean any disrespect to anyone, then chances are you won't be that social in University either. However, if you are extremely social, well it still depends on you. You will always be able to find people who want to party at UofT, but it is true that most of them will be hard workers and will only want to party when there's no work to be done or whatever.

In terms of the campus/residence, I like UTSG better but that's just me.

In terms of the overall city environment, obviously Toronto.

In terms of price, I think UTSG is a bit cheaper, not sure.

In terms of international reputation(outside of North America), then I believe Rotman is the better one.

In terms of difficulty, I think Rotman is the clear winner lol. The drop out rate is 30% but is expected to decrease a bit.

If it makes your decision any easier, I'd choose Queen's over Rotman if I had applied. Sadly, my dad hasn't ever heard of it and so he didn't want me to waste $40 to apply.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GoBarca GoBarca

@Daruki35 wrote
In terms of the program itself, Rotman and Queen's are pretty much on the same level.

LOL
Was this helpful? Yes 0