yconic - Queens?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queens?

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred
Been reading many previous threads here.
I wonder something: why is it that people have the opinions they do about subjects at certain universities?
Specifically, engineering.
Waterloo I can understand - everyone loves the coop program.
What makes engineering at Queens or McMaster or UoT so compelling?
Why, specifically, do many people want to go to Queens for engineering?
All the blurbs they write about their programs on their respective
websites basically all tell you the same thing (read: nothing).

Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of broodp4 broodp4
Queens is an awesome university all round. It's like the higher prestige version of Western(with the exception of Ivey). Many people don't go to queens for engineering, you think lots go there because they admit very few students into engineering compared to the other universities. Of course this means smaller classes which many people like. Plus it's a safe and quite good place to live and study and is not as intense as uoft. Although I would never wear a queens shirt, cuz that would be lame, especially if ur a guy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

>Queens is an awesome university all round.
On what grounds? I'd never even heard of Queens until I started really caring about applying.
What makes Queen a good university all around, and what makes it a higher prestige version of Western?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
School spirit, level of education, etc. If I recall correctly it has fairly high student satisfaction (Western wins on this one though). It just seems like they're the most recognized engineering schools in Ontario. They all have fairly respectable programs but every school is different in a sense. If I wanted to actually have summer vacation I wouldn't go to Waterloo for example. If I wanted to live in Toronto I'd go to UofT. If I valued school spirit, parties, and a strong first year general I'd probably go to Queen's, Western or McMaster. That's just my personal opinion though. I find the rigor/drop-out rate of UofT incredibly intimidating, and I probably wouldn't be well-fitted at Queen's, Western or McMaster, so Waterloo is my first choice. Besides, I'm fairly set on what type of engineering I want to do, and my parents are a huge fan of the co-op program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imaginaryengineer imaginaryengineer

Its propaganda. I swear they mention it about a hundred times here at uoft. We are number one in canada...blah blah blah. Its very irritating.

Although I would never wear a queens shirt, cuz that would be lame, especially if ur a guy.

+1000000
Plus there mascot is a pole.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of EngStudent741 EngStudent741

Many people don't go to queens for engineering, you think lots go there because they admit very few students into engineering compared to the other universities. Of course this means smaller classes which many people like

There are about 650 engineering students in each year at Queen's, though I'm not sure how that compares with other schools. Class sizes vary. First year ~250 (though I had one that was ~400). Second year they dropped significantly, mine were all about 50.

School spirit, level of education, etc. If I recall correctly it has fairly high student satisfaction (Western wins on this one though). It just seems like they're the most recognized engineering schools in Ontario. They all have fairly respectable programs but every school is different in a sense.

Well said. And though there are a number of different rankings, if you look at the recent Globe & Mail student satisfaction survey Queen's took the top place for all small/medium/large universities (enrolment 4000+). Link Here.

+1000000
Plus there mascot is a pole.

The pole you're referring to is a tradition which is part of Frosh Week for engineerings. The mascot at Queen's is a bear.

More info on Queen's: Queen's Viewbook
Queen's Engineering: Engineering Prospectus

Hope some of this helps. Good luck picking a university!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Looks like UWO is mostly taking the top place. Queens is taking a few though. Not as many as you made it seem. Interesting how everybody seems to love UWO.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@rightsaidfred wrote
Looks like UWO is mostly taking the top place. Queens is taking a few though. Not as many as you made it seem. Interesting how everybody seems to love UWO.

I'm just trying to post something constructive. I didn't mean to make it seem like anything more than exactly what I said: I saw the heading 'Student Satisfaction', and looked at the grades. Queen's has an 'A' which is the top grade for any small/medium/large university. Western has an 'A-', also a good rank, and I know a number of people who are happy there.

Though, just for fun, I will point out that if you add up the various letter grades and say that B+ is 1 better than B, A- is one better than B+ etc., you will find Queen's scores about four higher than Western. But I definitely could have added that up wrong, and at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter (you may choose not to put any stock in those ratings anyways).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah that's actually kind of interesting. I didn't think Queens was so well. It's also interesting that you're an actual student there saying that. That makes applying there more compelling.

How do they deal with repeat courses, do you know?
The website says they just take the highest grade, but my guidance counsellor says they average the repeat and the original.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The website is right, they do just take the highest grade.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Oh is that so?
Huh. If Kingston wasn't so cold, maybe I'd apply there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lolapop wrote
Actually, I believe for Queen's Engineering specifically they take both marks of the repeated course and average it. For every other program however, they take the highest mark.

It used to be that way, but they've changed so that all programs are now just taking the highest mark for repeated courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Slasher61 Slasher61

@rightsaidfred wrote
Been reading many previous threads here.
I wonder something: why is it that people have the opinions they do about subjects at certain universities?
Specifically, engineering.
Waterloo I can understand - everyone loves the coop program.
What makes engineering at Queens or McMaster or UoT so compelling?
Why, specifically, do many people want to go to Queens for engineering?

Queen's and their egotism is heard around the country which somehow makes them the "best" at eveything in Canada..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of k3u k3u
would my chances of getting into queen's be slightly higher if i attended the recent QLEAD conference ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@k3u wrote
would my chances of getting into queen's be slightly higher if i attended the recent QLEAD conference ?

I doubt that would affect it, though it would be one more thing to put on your PSE!

Was this helpful? Yes 0