yconic - QUEEN'S!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

QUEEN'S!

A photo of foreveryoung foreveryoung
so the commerce office says we can switch around out sections, meaning we can basically pick our profs, so for current QC students (or anyone who knows anything about it), who would you pick and why?

COMM 103 - Libitz or Bissonette
COMM 111 - Wang, Boland, or McConomy
COMM 161 - Nediak or Thompson

Thanks! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
35 replies

A photo of QCman QCman
well everyone will feel differently about profs, based on their learning style and preferences.

Personally i prefer
Libitz( i had him)
McConomy(Had him for 121,I think boland might be good too, wasnt a fan of wang had her for 111)
Thompson(had him too)

obviously i didnt have all the profs so i cant really say which one is better than the other, but you cant really go wrong with most and i think my list is the one that most people would prefer.

What i can tell you is that Libitz and Thompson are more light hearted than Nediak and Bissonette. McConomy is an excellent professor and can throw in hilarious jokes. However his pace of speaking can be a bit slow and dull for some. Also he is quite intimidating but i think as a learning experience, he provided the best. I cant comment on what boland is like because i dont know much about him.

For first semester i dont htink the profs will vary very much. The only really big difference in profs will be in the second semester when you have 151. The 2 profs ( Miners and Coppers) teach a very different class, one is fully case reading based(Coopers) the other is a mix of everything(Miners). One is a light hearted class(Miners) and the other is hardcore grilling cuz Coopers is really intimidating ( like makes some people cry intimidating) be honestly i think most people loved the class and learned a lot from it, i wish i had the chance to experience it. Coopers was supposed to have retired this year but apparently he says that all the time so who knows, he could still be there for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@QCman wrote
well everyone will feel differently about profs, based on their learning style and preferences.

Personally i prefer
Libitz( i had him)
McConomy(Had him for 121,I think boland might be good too, wasnt a fan of wang had her for 111)
Thompson(had him too)

obviously i didnt have all the profs so i cant really say which one is better than the other, but you cant really go wrong with most and i think my list is the one that most people would prefer.

What i can tell you is that Libitz and Thompson are more light hearted than Nediak and Bissonette. McConomy is an excellent professor and can throw in hilarious jokes. However his pace of speaking can be a bit slow and dull for some. Also he is quite intimidating but i think as a learning experience, he provided the best. I cant comment on what boland is like because i dont know much about him.

For first semester i dont htink the profs will vary very much. The only really big difference in profs will be in the second semester when you have 151. The 2 profs ( Miners and Coppers) teach a very different class, one is fully case reading based(Coopers) the other is a mix of everything(Miners). One is a light hearted class(Miners) and the other is hardcore grilling cuz Coopers is really intimidating ( like makes some people cry intimidating) be honestly i think most people loved the class and learned a lot from it, i wish i had the chance to experience it. Coopers was supposed to have retired this year but apparently he says that all the time so who knows, he could still be there for you.

thank you sooo much

edit: I think Coopers did actually retire tis year, because only Neville and Miners are listed as teaching 151.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Okay so I totally forgot to ask about the winter term courses...

COMM 112 - McConomy or Shearer
COMM 131 - Kolsarici or Thomas
COMM 151 - Mienrs or Neville
COMM 162 - Rogers or Jenkin

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Okay so I totally forgot to ask about the winter term courses...

COMM 112 - McConomy or Shearer
COMM 131 - Kolsarici or Thomas
COMM 151 - Mienrs or Neville
COMM 162 - Rogers or Jenkin

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
are the midterms/finals relatively the same for each course or do they vary teacher by teacher?

lets say I don't really like the teaching style of my teacher and I go to a different section but same course every single class, will it affect my mark negatively?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman
as far as i know the mid terms were the same for all sections for all classes with the exception of OB (151) this was due to the way the classes were taught. Now there is a new ob prof, and i have no idea how they will teach it and weather or not they will make a different exam from Miners.

For second year.

112: Dont know who shearer is so i cant say, McConomy is good, a bit intimidating and can be a bit slow to listen to.

131: cant really say, just pick one, some people like who they had some didnt and thats all im going to say.

151: Dont know who Neville is, he doesnt seem to be on the faculty list so im guessing he is new, i liked Miners class and he is a chill guy, i found his jokes a bit corny and annoying but lots like them.

162: Rogers is a nice fun guy, alright prof, dont know who Jenkin is.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
Thanks for the help, do you have any general recommendations or tips on setting up the schedule? Like for two weekdays I only have one class, so instead of having that I was thinking of balancing everything out so I don't slack. Do you think having a day off is necessary? I have some classes that are at 4:00-5:30 would that affect extra curricular opportunities? What was your usual daily schedule at QC? Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman
i would try to have classes in a block , and personally i preferred to have classes after 10. Because in commerce we spend less time in class, its useful to keep time in afternoons so you can arrange group meetings. Personally i had a schedule in second semester where i went to class 2 days a week. This gave me tonnes of free time to do what i wanted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Two days? That's so sick, but I would probably slack if that happened to me. Okay I will go with your word and take a day off. Just curious, every day how much would you spend on school work? Was it tough to balance out extra curricular, networking, and school work at the same time? For a position in a club, like for an example let's say I'm the "Sponsorship Co-ordinator" or something like that for a conference, how much work do I have to put in every week for that extra curricular? Sorry for all the questions haha, thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman
haha, im the wrong person to ask, my study ethic is questionable. I can tell you that i went to 2 conferences this year, played squash once in a while and went out partying at least 2 times a week all year apart from exams. Next year im an executive for 2 committees (and will be helping out with frosh week so all of you will see me in the first week) so i will be busy with that for sure. Actually i already started work on the Queens Consulting association this summer. To be honest, i never read my text books or made any notes. I literally sat in class and did first year form memory of what was said in lectures or by skimming the profs slides. I could do it but i dont think most people are comfortable with that. And honestly i probably should have put more effort into studying because i dont like having an average grade which is what i have right now. I would honestly suggest reading your textbooks and writing your own notes. Even if you are literally writing the same thing in the textbook its useful because that kind of processing in your brain helps you memorizing things better ( more effective than typing as well). If you go over your class notes and the textbook notes ( or read and make notes before you go to class so listening in class is more effective) will help you learn concepts better and will still give you time to do things.

Never in the year did i ever feel crazy swamped with work and supper stressed with work loads but im also hard to stress. I also apparently work really quickly, i never had any long nights or any stress throughout my IB high school career.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

How many extra curricular is manageable to do at Queen's? I honestly want to join QCIA, QCTC, QFAC, QBET, DECA and already have an external commitment. I guess it wouldn't be manageable to do all of those with the QC workload. How many extra curricular did you have and the most others? Okay so when you say average grades, what is considered "average" at QC? Did you find any internships first year, or better where are you working this summer if you don't mind me asking.

@foreveryoung: We don't have a feature where we can see the other available classes for our courses right? It's only during our enrollment appointment when we can you use the swap feature? How's your schedule looking?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@goldmansachs wrote

@foreveryoung: We don't have a feature where we can see the other available classes for our courses right? It's only during our enrollment appointment when we can you use the swap feature? How's your schedule looking?

If you use the "Search" feature then it'll show you all the COMM courses and all the different sections, and the time and the prof are also listed there.
It's pretty good, I have fridays off first term but not second so I'm gunna try to change that, and there's a few profs I wanna switch around 2nd term. So hard to choose an elective though! How's yours?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ohh thanks! Mine is alright, so you are going to take Fridays off? I have like a day where I have three classes in a row so definitely have to change that. What elective(s) are you leaning towards?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah, more sense for when I'd come back home to visit, at least there'll be things to do with my friends who live here :) plus that means I can do whatever on Thursday nights.
You have like 10 minutes between classes though (I think) so it shouldn't be too bad..
I'm stuck between DRAM 100 (intro to theatre), FILM 110 (film, culture and communication), and POLS 110 (intro to politics and gov't). Decided what you're taking yet?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman
having free Thursday nights is key, Thursdays in kingston are OSAP thursdays, $2.50 drinks at kingston bars.

Goldman, honestly thats a lot to take on n first year and you probably wont be able to do it. If you wanna try, go for it, i aint stopping you. and in commerce average is considered 75%
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Business1234 Business1234
fck me, i just looked at my schedule, it looks like crap.
does anyone want to help eachother out figure out courses etc?
hit me up facebook
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=hp
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@QCman: ahh good to know :) and thanks for all your help!

@Business1234: i hope you know you just linked to the home page lool

btw any other QC students out there with opinions about profs? :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xfl300 xfl300
[quote=foreveryoung]Okay so I totally forgot to ask about the winter term courses...

COMM 103 - Libitz or Bissonette - I had Libitz, very easy going and cool guy. Bissonette is the former CEO of Kingston YMCA and has more real life stories to tell in class compared to Libitz. You might have Bissonette again in fourth year for COMM 401, so not a bad idea to get to know him in first year.

COMM 111 - Wang, Boland, or McConomy - I had Boland and eventually became his TA. Super nice guy, well respected and probably the longest severing prof at QSB. If you plan on going the accounting route, you'll be seeing a lot of McConomy. He's well liked by students and would come out to parties once in a while to mingle with students. Great prof.

COMM 161 - Nediak or Thompson - Thompson hand's down. Great teacher, funny guy and makes the course very entertaining. From what I hear, he's also a VP at Scotiabank.

COMM 112 - McConomy or Shearer - You know about McConomy. I had Shearer for COMM 112, she might seem a little unorganized at times but she's very intelligent. I learned a lot from her. Can't go wrong with either.

COMM 131 - Kolsarici or Thomas - Don't have a clue, I never had any experience with either.

COMM 151 - Mienrs or Neville - Also don't have a clue.

COMM 162 - Rogers or Jenkin - HA. They teach the same course? They're married actually. One of the married couples that are teaching at QSB. Rogers is my favorite prof, his lecture are by far the most interesting. He will go on a tangent sometimes, but the stories he tells you are ground shaking. He goes the extra mile to make sure students get the material. I could say the same for Jenkins. Can't go wrong with either.

Hope this helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xfl300 xfl300
[quote=foreveryoung]Okay so I totally forgot to ask about the winter term courses...

COMM 103 - Libitz or Bissonette - I had Libitz, very easy going and cool guy. Bissonette is the former CEO of Kingston YMCA and has more real life stories to tell in class compared to Libitz. You might have Bissonette again in fourth year for COMM 401, so not a bad idea to get to know him in first year.

COMM 111 - Wang, Boland, or McConomy - I had Boland and eventually became his TA. Super nice guy, well respected and probably the longest severing prof at QSB. If you plan on going the accounting route, you'll be seeing a lot of McConomy. He's well liked by students and would come out to parties once in a while to mingle with students. Great prof.

COMM 161 - Nediak or Thompson - Thompson hand's down. Great teacher, funny guy and makes the course very entertaining. From what I hear, he's also a VP at Scotiabank.

COMM 112 - McConomy or Shearer - You know about McConomy. I had Shearer for COMM 112, she might seem a little unorganized at times but she's very intelligent. I learned a lot from her. Can't go wrong with either.

COMM 131 - Kolsarici or Thomas - Don't have a clue, I never had any experience with either.

COMM 162 - Rogers or Jenkin - HA. They teach the same course? They're married actually. One of the married couples that are teaching at QSB. Rogers is my favorite prof, his lecture are by far the most interesting. He will go on a tangent sometimes, but the stories he tells you are ground shaking. He goes the extra mile to make sure students get the material. I could say the same for Jenkins. Can't go wrong with either.

Hope this helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xfl300 xfl300

Hope this helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of unigirl123101 unigirl123101

COMM 103 - Libitz or Bissonette - I had Libitz! He was awesome! I have heard great things about Bissonette too though, so maybe just keep whichever one you are assigned?

COMM 111 - Wang, Boland, or McConomy - I had Wang for 111 and hated her. She was awful. Had McConomy for 112, and he was alright haha. Heard excellent things about Boland. So, Boland or McConomy!

COMM 161 - Nediak or Thompson - Thompson was AMAZING. best math teacher I have had in my life to date! I was always horrible at any math, and I had no problems with Thompson!

COMM 112 - McConomy or Shearer - Only had McConomy, can't say anything about Shearer.

COMM 131 - Kolsarici or Thomas - I had Thomas and she was good :) Kolsarici taught one of my classes and I hated it!

COMM 151 - Miners or Neville - I had Miners, he was good. Lots of videos amd stuff, and the lectures weren't dry...this was nice, but I found it left a lot to the readings too...

COMM 162 - Rogers or Jenkin - I had a different prof for half the semester (Levin) who left on mat leave, then Rogers came. He was good, but stats was really a lost cause for me anyway!

Good luck! Don't stress too much about profs. You can switch sections for a while into the year, so if you don't like the prof, switching shouldn't be a huge issue!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you so much xfl300 and unigirl! :)

btw anyone have any advice on which elective i should take?
Drama, film, or poli sci?

Also, did you guys have any 3 hour lectures for commerce courses. if so, would you recommend them or no?
Sorry about all the questions :$
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of unigirl123101 unigirl123101

@foreveryoung wrote

Also, did you guys have any 3 hour lectures for commerce courses. if so, would you recommend them or no?

Drama and film - one of my besties is a drama/film major and from what she's told me, first year drama and film are really easy and fun!

I would avoid poli sci...I've heard there is a lot a writing and I know there are tons of readings!

Other popular electives for commerce are geography and health...they are both super easy!

I had a 3 hour lecture for comm103 and i loved it! It was interesting enough that I wasn't super bored, and it freed up my week SO much! I felt like I had wayyy less class than others, even though I didn't. Plus, I found that I was more awake and alert from 6:30 - 9:30 at night than I EVER am in the morning :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xfl300 xfl300

@foreveryoung wrote

Drama, Film, Geography, Health, Math and Writing. Can't go wrong with any of those. If you take Math it opens up Econ electives in upper years. I'd recommend Math because it's almost identical to First year Calc. COMM 161.

3 Hour lectures aren't bad. You get it over with in one shot. Plus, you get breaks and usually leave early.
Was this helpful? Yes 0