yconic - Queens/Western snobs?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Queens/Western snobs?

A photo of KingSpades KingSpades
I'm not accusing Queens or Western of being snob filled schools but I have heard from a handful of people that both these schools have a substantial number of snobby rich kids. Does anyone have any evidence of snobby presence at Western or Queens?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
34 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I think I only met one in my four years at Western. He was on my floor in residence.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hard07 hard07
what do you expect, they're white.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy

@KingSpades wrote
I'm not accusing Queens or Western of being snob filled schools but I have heard from a handful of people that both these schools have a substantial number of snobby rich kids. Does anyone have any evidence of snobby presence at Western or Queens?

I met a group of snobby rich kids last year... They all lived in Huron College.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BusterBaxter BusterBaxter
You will meet/see quite a few well-off people, but 95% of them won't be snobs.

Huron is Huron.. When you visit Huron you will have a gut instinct of whether you belong there.
But keep in mind some of those "snobby, rich kids" are actually truly good people, but often misunderstood because of the privileges they have. This is fact.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround
Huron is basically every rich Jewish kid from the Thornhill area, Chat, and Crestwood. These will be the kids you will consider "snobs". There will be a substantial amount of kids from Crescent and UCC but you probably won't be able to tell who they are unless you ask them (I am sourcing Toronto private schools). I went to a private school and 70% of the kids who graduated went to Western. There is a substantial private school population at Western. But really, its just Toronto kids. We aren't all snobs you know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Western is mostly composed of people from Toronto/GTA. Anyone who couldn't afford to move away from home is at U of T, York, and Ryerson. Those Toronto kids who are at Western are there because they could afford to go away from home, so, right away, most of them must at least be from fairly well off families. Rich kids are going to hear Western and Queen's' reputations for being fun schools, and they're probably going to be fine with moving away from home, so a lot of them end up Western and Queen's. The snobby kid I talked about in my first post in this thread was in university just to get a degree and have fun while doing it. He was essentially guaranteed a job at his dad's business, and - what made him a snob - he wasn't ashamed to admit that.

Appleby (in Oakville) is actually the private school I know the most people from.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
The snobby kid I talked about in my first post in this thread was in university just to get a degree and have fun while doing it. He was essentially guaranteed a job at his dad's business, and - what made him a snob - he wasn't ashamed to admit that.

Appleby (in Oakville) is actually the private school I know the most people from.

Just because he has a guarenteed job at his Dad's business and he wasn't ashamed to admit it means he's a snob? Or are you implying that he looked down on others and thought he was superior based on this fact?

I am in University to get a degree and have fun while doing it. I also have a pretty much guarenteed big 4 co-op spot pending an interview. Does that make me a snob? :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17

@kiddinaround wrote
Huron is basically every rich Jewish kid from the Thornhill area, Chat, and Crestwood. These will be the kids you will consider "snobs". There will be a substantial amount of kids from Crescent and UCC but you probably won't be able to tell who they are unless you ask them (I am sourcing Toronto private schools). I went to a private school and 70% of the kids who graduated went to Western. There is a substantial private school population at Western. But really, its just Toronto kids. We aren't all snobs you know.

Actually, Huron is only 9% Jewish. "Jew-ron" is a stereotype.

Also, I would say that Western is half from Toronto, 15% from out of province, and 35% from tiny southwestern ontario towns.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kiddinaround wrote
Just because he has a guarenteed job at his Dad's business and he wasn't ashamed to admit it means he's a snob? Or are you implying that he looked down on others and thought he was superior based on this fact?

That is what I was implying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@beyondsection17 wrote
and 35% from tiny southwestern ontario towns.

Haha. Like London, Windsor, and K-W?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
It's not so much Queens/Western folk as Private School folk. They tend to be pretty wealthy, with a guaranteed future.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@beyondsection17 wrote

Those too, but also towns like Delhi, Leamington, Tilsonburg, Stratford, Strathroy, Exeter, Listowel, Goderich, Owen Sound, tons from Sarnia and Chatham, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@beyondsection17 wrote

Those too, but also towns like Delhi, Leamington, Tilsonburg, Stratford, Strathroy, Exeter, Listowel, Goderich, Owen Sound, Hanover, tons from Sarnia and Chatham, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kiddinaround wrote

Attending a private school defiantly doesn't mean one is a snob. I'm form Toronto and I have met kids from some of the schools you named and some of them truly are unbearably snobby. I don't really think it would be an issue though but I can see there being many wealthy students at Western. Huron just sounds awful.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@beyondsection17 wrote

@beyondsection17 wrote

Those too, but also towns like Delhi, Leamington, Tilsonburg, Stratford, Strathroy, Exeter, Listowel, Goderich, Owen Sound, Hanover, tons from Sarnia and Chatham, etc.

I can tell you're from Toronto. I tell people in Alberta that I'm from a small town (I just got used to Toronto/GTA friends referring to Sarnia as such), and they get the idea that it is like 500 people or so. Then I tell them that it's like 80,000 people, and they correct me by saying that that would make it a city. And they're right; it is.

London, Windsor, K-W - those are definitely medium-sized cities.

I actually know quite a few people from Western who are from Northern Ontario. I think that's just because I'm a rednecky-type person, so I'm naturally attracted to other rednecks, and only the redneckiest of rednecks come out of Northern Ontario.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@beyondsection17 wrote

@beyondsection17 wrote

I can tell you're from Toronto. I tell people in Alberta that I'm from a small town (I just got used to Toronto/GTA friends referring to Sarnia as such), and they get the idea that it is like 500 people or so. Then I tell them that it's like 80,000 people, and they correct me by saying that that would make it a city. And they're right; it is.

London, Windsor, K-W - those are definitely medium-sized cities.

I actually know quite a few people from Western who are from Northern Ontario. I think that's just because I'm a rednecky-type person, so I'm naturally attracted to other rednecks, and only the redneckiest of rednecks come out of Northern Ontario.

You're good!

And yeah, I've met a surprising number of people from Northern Ontario too. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@KingSpades wrote

Huron just sounds awful.

It is. It really is. I visited two friends there last year twice. The 2nd time I left early. Nothing against jews either. My best friends is jewish. But Huron is just overpopulated with em. And its true that all jews know eachother. Just adds to the annoyingness.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It's always good to have Jewish friends.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Omok Omok
:cyclopsan

well, i'll be a troll here and mention that i'm going to Queen's in September, and I got a 2.5K bursary while doing it. O:

There are probably a lot of kids like me who doesn't come from a rich family background, and just really want to attend Queen's...

There are surely snob kids in all schools, us normals or below normals will just have to suck it up and make friends with those who are better than snobs. :DDDD (whatever snobs it may be...O:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kiddinaround wrote

@KingSpades wrote

Huron just sounds awful.

It is. It really is. I visited two friends there last year twice. The 2nd time I left early. Nothing against jews either. My best friends is jewish. But Huron is just overpopulated with em. And its true that all jews know eachother. Just adds to the annoyingness.

Do most of the JAPS (jewish american princess) attend huron or is there a large jewish presence all over the UWO campus. Not that it matters b/c I love jews, I'm just curious.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PeoplesChamp PeoplesChamp
Both Western and Queen's are predominantly known for being a school for upper middle-class white folks and not to mention both hold two of the top business programs out there in Canada. Western Ivey, and Queen's Commerce. A predominant upper middle-class population combined with the preppy kids in these top notch programs result in snobby kids thinking they're the crap.

Cheers,
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx

Western is mostly composed of people from Toronto/GTA. Anyone who couldn't afford to move away from home is at U of T, York, and Ryerson. Those Toronto kids who are at Western are there because they could afford to go away from home, so, right away, most of them must at least be from fairly well off families. Rich kids are going to hear Western and Queen's' reputations for being fun schools, and they're probably going to be fine with moving away from home, so a lot of them end up Western and Queen's. The snobby kid I talked about in my first post in this thread was in university just to get a degree and have fun while doing it. He was essentially guaranteed a job at his dad's business, and - what made him a snob - he wasn't ashamed to admit that.

Just because someone goes away to school doesn't mean that theyre a snobby rich kid. A lot of people are paying their own way through school and their parents have nothing to do w it (whether they could afford it or not)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx

@beyondsection17 wrote

@beyondsection17 wrote

I know a few from as far as Ottawa, Thunder Bay, etc too. As well as a bunch from small towns near Hamilton (although that may be considered GTA - not sure). A lot from St Thomas too
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of treecows treecows
^Queen's does have a lot of small town kids though haha. It's like 50% are from cities, the other half are from small/medium sized towns. Kids from big cities aren't bad at all from my experience, the worst are the ones from small-medium sized towns who were hot stuff back in their hometown, and carry that attitude to university and it's just uh.. no.

Queen's definitely has some very privileged students, but snobbiness isn't really an issue. There's a lot of sheltered kids, and its a pretty conservative student body, but nothing too terrible to deal with. No one has ever like rubbed their wealth in my face. Sometimes I'm like shocked at how much money people throw around, but I've never personally experienced true snobbiness. I've been more irritated by people who think they're superior because they're not as well off, and pass you off as some daddy's little rich girl.
Was this helpful? Yes 0