yconic - Question about becoming a CA through Laurier
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Question about becoming a CA through Laurier

A photo of universityapplier universityapplier
There is BA Econ And Accounting, and theres BBA

what are the differences in regards to becoming a chartered accountant?
does one program have more of the edge, and if so how?
I am going into BA Economics and Accounting and am wondering what is my best option on becoming a CA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

bump
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Both programs are fully-accredited by ICAO. Honours Ec has more economics courses and less business courses than BBA, but in the end they take the same accounting courses and both will get you your CA. BBA students get more recruitment and are more sought after, although Honours Ec is still good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote
Both programs are fully-accredited by ICAO. Honours Ec has more economics courses and less business courses than BBA, but in the end they take the same accounting courses and both will get you your CA. BBA students get more recruitment and are more sought after, although Honours Ec is still good.

now you say they are more sought after, how different is the reputation? you mind giving me an example? (please do not compare them to fruits, i never get that comparison)

THANKS
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@universityapplier wrote

@g93 wrote

now you say they are more sought after, how different is the reputation? you mind giving me an example? (please do not compare them to fruits, i never get that comparison)

THANKS

Bentley vs BMW :P

Remember, this does not mean that you can't achieve success from the Honours Ec program. It just means that BBA will be recruited more and will provide you with some more opportunities - you will have to search a little harder for them in Honours Ec.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@universityapplier wrote

@g93 wrote

THANKS

Remember, this does not mean that you can't achieve success from the Honours Ec program. It just means that BBA will be recruited more and will provide you with some more opportunities - you will have to search a little harder for them in Honours Ec.

haha cool, so if i dont get coop, ill have to find an internship out of university or will the university help me find one. Also, can i find the same coop in year 2 after my undergraduate?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@universityapplier wrote

@g93 wrote

@universityapplier wrote

@g93 wrote

THANKS

haha cool, so if i dont get coop, ill have to find an internship out of university or will the university help me find one. Also, can i find the same coop in year 2 after my undergraduate?

f you don't get co-op, you can try applying for a summer internship (a job as a student) at accounting firms. The school might have some recruiters and the career center might be able to help out a little, but most of the recruitment/assistance will be focused on the BBA program. If you have connections though getting an internship will be much easier.

Do you want to rephrase the 2nd one?
Was this helpful? Yes 0