yconic - Question about co op
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Question about co op

A photo of stylo stylo
I was wondering for most universities that provide co op, how hard would it be to get job? Would I have to move to the area where the job is? Essentially how would co op work? Ive done research on this topic but my parents grilled me on this recently and I found myself not knowing most of the answers in depth. If there are any current engineering co op students who could give some input that would mean a lot. Thanks !
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@stylo wrote
Essentially how would co op work? Ive done research on this topic but my parents grilled me on this recently and I found myself not knowing most of the answers in depth. If there are any current engineering co op students who could give some input that would mean a lot. Thanks !

I'm not an engineer, but I did the whole co-op shenanigans thing.

The idea is, you have a particular time set aside that you will be working for school credit, and you somehow have to find an appropriate job for that period. The process varies from school to school.

Here's an idea of how Waterloo's co-op system works...

A bunch of jobs get posted to a job board site called Jobmine. Students upload their resumes to the site, and then apply to all of the jobs they're interested in. Over time, the employers will then decide whether or not they want to interview students. For the successful student, he or she will proceed to an interview with someone from the company they applied for. A few weeks later, the employers will rank each of the students, and then the rankings will open up to students. This is when the students find out whether or not they got an offer, a ranking lower than the job offer, or were not ranked at all.

Alternatively, students can try to arrange employment on their own, outside of the Jobmine system. This can be more difficult but also more rewarding.

@stylo wrote
I was wondering for most universities that provide co op, how hard would it be to get job?

It's most difficult in your first semester, when you don't have very much experience. At Waterloo, students jump into the job market right after their first year, or even their first semester.

At other schools, it's a little easier, because the co-op program doesn't start until later years. Students will have more academic experience, as well as some summer opportunities to accumulate more experience, so it would be easier in these programs.

After that first job, it becomes much easier to get employed.

@stylo wrote
Would I have to move to the area where the job is?

Well, yes. Don't apply for a job in a place you wouldn't want to move to. Many employers will actually provide you a stipend if you have to move a large distance, which is nice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bscit Bscit
Wanted to add to the question.
1. What if we dont get a job. What would we do for that term?
2. Will residence be refunded if you move for your coop?
3. What is the farthest that you have seen someone move for coop?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@Bscit wrote
1. What if we dont get a job. What would we do for that term?

You keep looking until you find a job; minimum work term length for credit is 12 weeks. If you can't find a job, at Waterloo, you fail the work term. At other universities, I'm not sure what the consequences are.

@Bscit wrote
2. Will residence be refunded if you move for your coop?

At Waterloo, you pay only for the terms in residence that you're going to be on campus. So you wouldn't need a refund.

@Bscit wrote
3. What is the farthest that you have seen someone move for coop?

I know of people who moved to California or China from southern Ontario. Tons of students work in the USA, at least for CS students, so a move to somewhere as far as Cali is pretty common.
Was this helpful? Yes 0