yconic - Question about grade 12 course marks
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Question about grade 12 course marks

A photo of maynards maynards
retake accounting just in case. it can be used as a backup and it will boost your overall gpa
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of bubblepenguin bubblepenguin
retake accounting just in case. it can be used as a backup and it will boost your overall gpa
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
No one is going to care about your accounting mark after you're other courses are sent. All the admissions people care about is the average the computer tells them you have.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
That 60 will likely affect your chances of early acceptance, and universities may have to wait until you have more completed courses until accepting you. Universities look at your top 6 whenever possible. This means that until you have 7 courses, the 60 will be calculated into your overall average and bring it down dramatically. For this reason, it's really good that you have other completed gr 12 courses already though!

In the long (important) run, it won't affect very much. It's generally not a good idea to take courses that aren't part of your core (accounting isn't a required course for any undergrad I know of). This is because some universities don't take your changed mark or take an average of the two marks you got. If you really wanted to upgrade your mark, you should've done it over the summer as opposed to during the school year. Also, you should investigate if you truly do you want to go into business if you don't have any interest in accounting and you thrive in courses like biology!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

bubble, but i read somewhere that universities take marks for people that retake courses? even if its not in top 6? is this true?

and immaculatedx, thanks for the advice, however. do you think before getting my 2nd semester midterm(which will have my final top 6), that the top universities will put my application to the side because they saw such a low mark before the final check where they see my actual top 6 average? i'm just really worried and don't know whether to retake.

i am quite confident that my other marks will be in the low to mid 90s next year as i've done it before, this accounting mark just feels like a scar to my transcript :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@onlymatthew wrote
That 60 will likely affect your chances of early acceptance, and universities may have to wait until you have more completed courses until accepting you. Universities look at your top 6 whenever possible. This means that until you have 7 courses, the 60 will be calculated into your overall average and bring it down dramatically. For this reason, it's really good that you have other completed gr 12 courses already though!

In the long (important) run, it won't affect very much. It's generally not a good idea to take courses that aren't part of your core (accounting isn't a required course for any undergrad I know of). This is because some universities don't take your changed mark or take an average of the two marks you got. If you really wanted to upgrade your mark, you should've done it over the summer as opposed to during the school year. Also, you should investigate if you truly do you want to go into business if you don't have any interest in accounting and you thrive in courses like biology!

thanks matthew, do you know this process of determining marks through experience? I really want to get into the top tier business schools because I know that will lead to promising career, which is why i'm giving up on my science. I do enjoy business courses, i just had a really rough time with accounting due to several reasons :S.

I hope what you said was indeed true, that accounting will be ommitted once 7 marks(including prereqs) are completed, (which will be like, in mid april) :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@maynards wrote

thanks matthew, do you know this process of determining marks through experience? I really want to get into the top tier business schools because I know that will lead to promising career, which is why i'm giving up on my science. I do enjoy business courses, i just had a really rough time with accounting due to several reasons :S.

I hope what you said was indeed true, that accounting will be ommitted once 7 marks(including prereqs) are completed, (which will be like, in mid april) :/

Yes, it's from personal experience I had last year. It didn't happen to me, but I talked to a guidance counsellor about it and that's what they had told me. It makes sense and is reasonable of the universities, so don't be too worried! The only other thing I can imagine would concern you would be the supplementaries you have to write.

Also, I converted from science to business too! You're on the safer, more materialistic and more commonly walked path now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

alright thanks alot matthew. yea, i figured that too :P business is more reassuring than going into sciences and having a slim chance at med school, haha. so you reckon i can still have a good chance in getting into QC or ivey? given that my essay and ecs are good
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@maynards wrote
alright thanks alot matthew. yea, i figured that too :P business is more reassuring than going into sciences and having a slim chance at med school, haha. so you reckon i can still have a good chance in getting into QC or ivey? given that my essay and ecs are good

That was exactly my mentality, haha. Also, once I took biology I realized that I hated biology. This was also a pretty big factor in deciding my career field.

And yes, obviously yes... I know people like going on forums and getting reaffirmed about their chances, but you asking that is kind of ridiculous. If you have a 93-95 and "stellar ECs", you OBVIOUSLY have a good chance of getting into both of those programs. Imagine everyone below 93~ and have average EC's, they're probably defiling their trousers at the sheer thought that someone like you is worried about admission. Don't be dissuaded by the anomalies that get rejected with those credentials.

If you want some cushion for entrance into QC, go for Chancellor's scholarship. Generally, few people know about it and if you get the nomination from your school, then you have an automatic admittance into QC provided that you get 87+. To get the nomination, harrass your guidance counsellors before anyone else does. Also, QC doesn't verify your EC's, so if you're feeling particularly desperate, make stuff up as you feel necessary! I didn't do it, and it'll probably scar you morally and leave you feeling guilty for the rest of your life, but consider it a kickstart to the real business world.

If you want some cushion for entrance into Ivey, don't worry. You'll get in. Despite being a presumably "top tier" business program, they sure do accept a whole whack of people. If you have decent EC's and about a 91 and don't get into Ivey, you're likely being victimized of a hate crime.
Was this helpful? Yes 0