yconic - Question about OSAP and Residence
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Question about OSAP and Residence

A photo of Katzel Katzel
Okay so my friend told me something that worried me today..

He applied to St.Lawrence college, and told me that OSAP would not give him money for residence since he lives in Kingston and is within 40KM of the school.

Is this true? I want to go to Queens next year; I live in Kingston, and I was hoping to get my residence costs covered by OSAP.

It just doesn't make sense to me , what if your parents were to kick you out after high school? You are expected to have all of the money for residence?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
OSAP doesn't cover residence, but it does consider the cost of living as well as the costs of tuition. So usually you'll get a bit extra beyond your tuition that could go towards residence if you needed it.

Keep in mind OSAP is there to SUPPLEMENT your already existing income and savings. The Ontario taxpayer shouldn't be paying for all of your schooling.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Katzel Katzel

@ARMY101 wrote
OSAP doesn't cover residence, but it does consider the cost of living as well as the costs of tuition. So usually you'll get a bit extra beyond your tuition that could go towards residence if you needed it.

Keep in mind OSAP is there to SUPPLEMENT your already existing income and savings. The Ontario taxpayer shouldn't be paying for all of your schooling.

You didn't really answer my question.. My friend told me that if you live within 40 KM of the school you plan to attend, OSAP will not give you ANY money for living expenses since they assume you will continue to live at your parents house. Is this true? What if a student was forced to leave their house?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
No that's not true. Ask your friend to cite their claims if you're not sure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
mods, please do not delete posts that actually have relevant and have correct information i.e. my post on this thread which got deleted for no apparent reason.

https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal/en/PostsecondaryEducation/OSAP/Help/FAQs/index.htm
look under "I don't live with my parents, how will this affect my OSAP?"

If you’re a student living away from home during the school year, and your home is more than 40 kilometers from your postsecondary institution, OSAP will assess your application using a living away from home allowance. This allowance includes food and shelter. If your parents live within 40 kilometers of your institution, your assessment will be based on an at home living allowance, which doesn’t include food and shelter. There are appeals available for students with extenuating circumstances who must live outside the family home.

Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of Katzel Katzel
Thank you very much, Nyx. And I don't know why your post would've gotten deleted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HorseGirl84 HorseGirl84
you have to fund your first and second payments for residence..I am in the same boat,your best option is to save all your income to pay for start-up costs,textbook/supplies ect.

OSAP will not pay your whole way through college,so look at grants,and such as-well as your actual employment.

I am going to SLC in the fall-Kingston as-well and we get OSAP in September 60% and January 40% so basically it is split in two payments.

hope that helped a bit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0