yconic - Question about program before Ivey
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Question about program before Ivey

A photo of nananami nananami
Hello all,

I'm sure this topic has been brought up many times but I just can't seem to find enough information about it so I'm starting this topic again.
What would you say is a better option to go into? BMOS or Social Science (Economics) before Ivey (AEO status)? I've heard many varied answers from people, so I just want to get more general opinions.

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of CityBoy CityBoy
BMOS is easier so less stress in maintaining that 80 avg. Heard it's kinda useless though.

Econ is a bit harder because it has some quantitative courses like financial econ, calc but I heard it helps you out for Ivey but it is generally harder than BMOS.

I would choose Econ, BMOS is gonna make you lazy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CityBoy wrote
BMOS is easier so less stress in maintaining that 80 avg. Heard it's kinda useless though.

Econ is a bit harder because it has some quantitative courses like financial econ, calc but I heard it helps you out for Ivey but it is generally harder than BMOS.

I would choose Econ, BMOS is gonna make you lazy.

Ohh. Doesn't being in BMOS give you more time to be involved in extracurriculars then?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CityBoy CityBoy
I don't think it makes a huge difference. But yeah you're right I guess since the course load is easier..you get more time to do extracurriculars.. but like after you have AEO it's not like you neeed extraordinary ECS or something to be considered.. you have high school to thank for that..just a few should be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Alexkesz Alexkesz
If i were to do first year again I would definitely pick econ over BMOS. Mos 1023 was my lowest mark last semester, the class itself is a lot harder than people expect. My ideal schedule for first year would be. Econ 1021/22, biz 1220, calc 100/1301, PoliSci 1020 E and some other class that your interested in. although the math requirements are a bit harder if you good at math its a better choice for sure, as well from what i've herd at a few clubs econ at ivey is basically just drawing curves. I also hear nothing can really prepare you for ivey
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BuffaloSoulja BuffaloSoulja
Makes no difference. Social Science will be kinder to you in terms of marks if you choose good electives. In terms of Ivey prep, Id say Econ is the best.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I heard the second year courses are really intense though compared to bmos courses. dunno if that's true.
and that one of the maths is really challenging..I think 1501 right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of fullforceRC fullforceRC
I signed up for MOS. I'm going to try and explore as much as I can in my first two years... probably take some electives in political science or something. Is MOS really that useless? Does it not help provide a basis for Ivey?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@fullforceRC: Yea, I was thinking the same thing cause you get to take more business related courses and other electives so you can explore more...

Also, does anyone know what the second year courses for socialscience econ are like? Like has anyone who's reading this taken these courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IveyRecruiting2011 IveyRecruiting2011
One thing to consider is that no program will prepare you better for Ivey than another. Statistically speaking, there is no correlation between one program's students performing better than another's.

When deciding between programs, choose one that you're passionate and enjoy studying in (it'll make studying late at night easier); this will likely end up being a program that you excel in.

Another thing to consider is how you brand yourself. There are a ton of people who graduate from good business schools around the world, but what makes you different than anybody else? One area is differentiation is another program you studied before Ivey, if you're passionate about a certain functional area think about what other programs would be complementary.

Good luck to you all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks everyone for your replies!
I think I'm still gonna go for BMOS because I can take more electives for different courses!
Oh btw, Finance and administration is because discontinued right? Is Finance for MOS the same thing?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Serendipity Serendipity
I'm also considering MOS with Ivey :) heard it's relatively easy and will give you time to engage in extracurriculars (as opposed to engineering).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Serendipity: whoa your list of offers is really impressive lol! Looking forward to seeing you at uwo if we both decide to go there!

Is anyone in second year bmos or econ here? I'm really interested to know how the courses are like in both BMOS and Econ.
Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0