yconic - Question about residence move-out date in april? The DAY AFTER THE EXAM?!!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Question about residence move-out date in april? The DAY AFTER THE EXAM?!!

A photo of lillybeans lillybeans
Hi everyone,

I will be attending McGill university the following year. Never lived in residence before, so I don't really know how it works except that my contract ends in April.

Apparently, I'm supposed to move out the day after my exam. But!!! I'm gonna be a hobo because how can I move out in one day? That is A LOT of stuff to pack and a lot of stuff to move. Also, it's during exam time, I'll barely have time to think about finding a new apartment. The day immediately following my last exam is INTENSE. so...

1. Do I have to find an apartment/condo ahead of time, before my exams?
2. How can you manage to find a place to live/get the moving done while studying for your exams?
3. Say I find an apartment on April 1st. Where do I live?? In residence, or in my new apartment? At that point, I will be paying both the rent for the apartment and residence, won't I?

Sorry, I know I may be complicating things, but I am really worried. I don't know how university is going to work out. Gosh, it's hard being an adult =/
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@lillybeans wrote
Hi everyone,

I will be attending McGill university the following year. Never lived in residence before, so I don't really know how it works except that my contract ends in April.

Apparently, I'm supposed to move out the day after my exam. But!!! I'm gonna be a hobo because how can I move out in one day? That is A LOT of stuff to pack and a lot of stuff to move. Also, it's during exam time, I'll barely have time to think about finding a new apartment. The day immediately following my last exam is INTENSE. so...

2. How can you manage to find a place to live/get the moving done while studying for your exams?
3. Say I find an apartment on April 1st. Where do I live?? In residence, or in my new apartment? At that point, I will be paying both the rent for the apartment and residence, won't I?

Sorry, I know I may be complicating things, but I am really worried. I don't know how university is going to work out. Gosh, it's hard being an adult =/

I am a first year in residence right now. I have to move out at the end of april. i have to bust outta there EXACTLY 24 hrs after I complete my last exam. What i plan on doing is staying up all night packing everything since i have a lot, too. It's gonna be tight, but I think it's def. doable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
lol OP youre not even there yet... it depends on how strict your dons are because usually they dont check, i mean people are studying still.. if youre lucky, your roommates will still have exams so you still have some time to move stuff out. i think youd have to hand back your keys but your roomies would still be able to let you in.

edit - oh wait. if youre living traditional then yeah, youre at a disadvantage. if you cant find a ride home that day then i'd say book a hotel or stay at another friend's room whos still on campus. you really shouldnt be worrying about this right now haha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of treecows treecows
At McGill most people figure out their housing in February-March, so you won't be househunting during exams.

Most universities don't care when you leave, they put in that 24 hour thing kind of just to make it an incentive not to hang around. If anything, they allow you to stay longer if you put in a request due to extenuating circumstances. I would expect McGill to be much more lenient on their 24 hour policy as most of their students have to fly out to get home.

Most leases start May 1st or Sept 1st. Move in then. What you do in between your last exam and May 1st is up to you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
All night packing session is the only way to go. Sorry.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of meghie meghie
Lol what are all you guys talking about?? I'm in first year (in rez) at Mcgill and you definitely do NOT have to move out the day after your last exam. Your lease expires at the end of April so it doesn't matter when your last exam is. My last exam is April 26th and I'm staying until the 30th, which is move-out day. Exam period ends on the 28th so in the worst-case scenario you will have two days to pack up all your stuff.

By the way, where did it say that you need to leave the day after your last exam?? :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx

@lillybeans wrote
Hi everyone,

Most people look for houses in like January that way they have a place to move their things into, usually May 1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lillybeans lillybeans
Thank you everyone who helped. I know it's too early to worry about it, but that's because I'm from Toronto and I've got no relatives/friends in Montreal. I don't know ANYONE in Montreal, and by the time I go to university, I will have ZERO relatives in Canada.

Thanks for the clarification. On McGill's website it says April 30th is the move-out day? According to the calendar, it is immediately preceded by the exam dates.

Lilly
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of meghie meghie

@lillybeans wrote
Thank you everyone who helped. I know it's too early to worry about it, but that's because I'm from Toronto and I've got no relatives/friends in Montreal. I don't know ANYONE in Montreal, and by the time I go to university, I will have ZERO relatives in Canada.

Thanks for the clarification. On McGill's website it says April 30th is the move-out day? According to the calendar, it is immediately preceded by the exam dates.

Lilly

The last day for exams is the 28th and move out is on the 30th. Are you going to be staying in montreal for the summer? If so, start looking for an apartment around January - February. That is when the listings are posted for May 1st lease-start dates. My lease starts on May 1st so I am staying until then and then moving my stuff into my apartment. Also, if you need to stay in rez a couple nights after April 30th it is only $30 a night.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ghana1994 ghana1994
We look for our apartments in Feb-March, right?
But I'll be going home (to India) for the summer, so do I leave some stuff in my apartment and then travel home, or do I come back at the end of August, and them move in with all my stuff?

And do most McGill students live in apartments alone? or do they share with friends?
Any idea how much cheaper the apartments are compared to the rezs?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly

@ghana1994 wrote
We look for our apartments in Feb-March, right?
But I'll be going home (to India) for the summer, so do I leave some stuff in my apartment and then travel home, or do I come back at the end of August, and them move in with all my stuff?

And do most McGill students live in apartments alone? or do they share with friends?
Any idea how much cheaper the apartments are compared to the rezs?

Usually, after first year, they live with their friends in the McGill ghetto. Apartments are sooooooooo much cheaper than the residence halls and Montreal is extremely affordable in terms of housing compared to Toronto and especially Vancouver. I was actually just talking to my friend who attends McGill and he told me he found a great apartment just five minutes away from campus. Only $700 per month, and the two of them are splitting the rent.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ghana1994 ghana1994
Thanks prmly.
:D
Was this helpful? Yes 0