yconic - Question about Top 6 Average Calculation
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Question about Top 6 Average Calculation

A photo of maynards maynards
What the person above me said
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
What the person above me said
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Super Super
I don't know why you would ask this question when you already answered it in the OP title: "Top 6 Average Calculation"... makes me wonder how you got those 6 courses to 96%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Super Super

@maynards wrote
My average is 92, not 96.
I know they only calculate top 6, but I was worried that since they visibly SEE those terrible marks on the transcript despite not using them, they will still give second hand consideration, especially for good programs like Western Ivey AEO. no?

@maynards wrote
But the 6 courses that are used for calculation have an average of say 96.

This year however, on midterms I have a 92 average.

:scratch:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Super Super

@maynards wrote
U forgot to quote me saying LETS SAY the top 6 average was 96.
what i really did get was 92, i was asking what would happen if someone got 50s and then a top 6 average of 96,(similar to my scenario but slightly different marks)
anyways this is besides the point, can u answer my question

@maynards wrote

I know they only calculate top 6, but I was worried that since they visibly SEE those terrible marks on the transcript despite not using them, they will still give second hand consideration, especially for good programs like Western Ivey AEO. no?

?

Unless you are applying for early acceptance... gr. 11 marks mean nothing. I think it's even in most FAQ's for each of the program's websites.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Super Super

@maynards wrote
U forgot to quote me saying LETS SAY the top 6 average was 96.
what i really did get was 92, i was asking what would happen if someone got 50s and then a top 6 average of 96,(similar to my scenario but slightly different marks)
anyways this is besides the point, can u answer my question

@maynards wrote

?

Unless you are applying for early acceptance... gr. 11 marks mean nothing. I think it's even in most FAQ's for each program's websites.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maynards maynards
but the bad marks are grade 12 courses that i did last year but im not gonna be using for top 6
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
What were the courses in which you received low marks?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Super Super

@maynards wrote
grade 12 accounting and physics. but i'm applying to top business schools :S, should i redo accounting?

Nope. Accounting shouldn't be a prereq for many business programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of finnska finnska

@maynards wrote
For prestigious Canadian universities like McGill, Queen's Commerce, Western Ivey

Lets say I have 4 grade 12 courses that are in the 50s and 60s
But the 6 courses that are used for calculation have an average of say 96.

Will I be able to get into these programs no problem, given that my extracurriculars are stellar? Or will it only affect early admissions?

Or will the bad marks come and bite me when acceptances role around, despite my good marks in top 6.

I am asking this because last year I did a few grade 12 courses and I wasn't serious about anything so I ended up getting 60 in one of the courses.

This year however, on midterms I have a 92 average.

Thanks in advance for responses.

Although they only account for the top 6, but these are the top 6 that are part of the pre req. For example if you are applying to get into science they depending on the school they must look like English, Biology and Math (examples).
Was this helpful? Yes 0