yconic - Question for anyone who has applied to Waterloo Computer Science...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Question for anyone who has applied to Waterloo Computer Science...

A photo of Slates77 Slates77
Hi,

When I went to apply for this program (havent done it yet), there was a section that I think was called program type and it had a drop box and the only option head something like "computer science/teaching coop". I was just wondering what the teaching part meant because for computer science at other schools under that section the dropbox only said computer science under it.

Sorry if this sounds weird im not home right now so I can't say exactly what it said but want to know.

thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@Slates77 wrote
Hi,

When I went to apply for this program (havent done it yet), there was a section that I think was called program type and it had a drop box and the only option head something like "computer science/teaching coop". I was just wondering what the teaching part meant because for computer science at other schools under that section the dropbox only said computer science under it.

Sorry if this sounds weird im not home right now so I can't say exactly what it said but want to know.

thanks

There is no CS/Teaching Option, unless they are adding one for 2012. There is a Math/Teaching Option, which involves a study term at Queen's uni. You have to specify this in OUAC because the math/teaching option has a weird co-op stream to accomodate this. Usually you just specify co-op vs. regular on the app.

As always, don't screw yourself over. Email myapplication@uwaterloo.ca (I think it is) and talk to an admissions officer about these questions.

EDIT: Aha, I am incorrect. There is a CS/Teaching Option. See this website for details:

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/navigation/Current/teachingoption.shtml
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Slates77 Slates77
I just checked it out again and under "subject of major interest" the only option in the dropbox is "mathematics/teaching co-op only" or "----" .

So is this saying if I want to do computer science I have to do teaching as well? Because I really don't want to be a teacher.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@Slates77 wrote
I just checked it out again and under "subject of major interest" the only option in the dropbox is "mathematics/teaching co-op only" or "----" .

So is this saying if I want to do computer science I have to do teaching as well? Because I really don't want to be a teacher.

Select the ---- option for not being a teacher.
That admits you to regular CS with co-op or not, depends on what you chose on the previous form item..
I applied to the same thing so good luck :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0