yconic - Question for IB Students!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Question for IB Students!

A photo of IBKid55 IBKid55
Hello,

I am currently in the IB Programme (Grade 11) in Alberta. I have heard from some people that if say, you get a 6 on the Physics SL IB Exam the IB Coordinator at your school will physically change your Physics 30 Mark to the equivalent to 6 (90-92% I believe.) Or if you were to get a 5 on the Chemistry IB Exam the coordinator at your school will change your Alberta Chemistry 30 Grade to an 80-83%. Of course if your Alberta Course Mark is higher than the IB Equivalent, I would assume they would leave it as is. Is this true? I have wondered this for some time, and I have never received a solid answer. Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
I took IB in Alberta and I know my teachers and coordinators went out of their way to make sure IB NEVER hurt our grades, only helped them. That being said I believe the IB exam marks come out well after your final Alberta marks are in, so there would be no way for your school to change your class mark (unless they used predicted grades). Any policy would be based on your school only, not Alberta as a whole.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IBKid55 IBKid55
Thank you for your reply! In Calgary, in grade 11 we write math/biology/physics (SL) exams because we finish the 30 Level Course by May of that year. You are probably familiar with this. So, we will receive our IB Grades in theses subjects even before starting Grade 12 (in the summer.) So would the coordinator go ahead and make the changes to the marks in the fall, or do the not have power to do physically exchange the IB grade equivalent with the Alberta Course Mark?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Your set up sounds completely different from mine. I wrote all of my IB exams in my grade 12 year.

I have no idea why you're asking this here and not just asking your IB coordinator. We don't know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zxc123 zxc123
I do not believe Alberta Education changes your mark. If you get an 80% in Physics 30, it will stay an 80% even if you get a 6 or 7 in Physics IB. I think what you are talking about is Universities. The U of A amongst others, converts your IB mark into a percentage mark when considering you for admission. So if you get an 80% in Physics 30, and a 6 on your Physics IB, they will convert the 6 to a 90%, and use that for admissions instead of the 80% you got in Physics 30. Alberta Education itself does not change your mark, regardless of what you get in IB.
Was this helpful? Yes 0