yconic - Question in regards to Waterloo Entrance Scholarships
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Question in regards to Waterloo Entrance Scholarships

A photo of LooMech LooMech
Hey guys,

I was just going through waterloo's scholarship page and had a question. Lets say i get the scholarship that is given if u have an early may avg of 90-94.99 % ,does that mean my final avg also has to be above 90 so that they dont take it back?

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of GainTheHedge GainTheHedge
Scholarship offers will change according to your latest marks. So yes if you happen to sink below 90 for finals then scholarship level status changes as well. BUT if you get 95+, then you get more money of course :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of seasharp seasharp
I forget what Waterloo's policy is, but some schools say something like "If your average falls below the cut-off, you will still keep your scholarship. If your average goes above into the next "level," we'll adjust your scholarship to reflect this."
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose
I believe they have three tiers of guaranteed entrance scholarships.

You initially get offered a scholarship of whatever tier based on your midterm marks with your acceptance. If your marks increase up to the next tier by the time your final marks are submitted, they will give you the better scholarship. If your marks drop, so long as you're still admissible, you keep the scholarship you were initially offered.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Vingilot Vingilot
does it really matter with waterloo? I mean isnt the only advantage for 95+ a potential scholarship in your later years? No first year benefit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maelong maelong

@LooMech wrote
Hey guys,

I was just going through waterloo's scholarship page and had a question. Lets say i get the scholarship that is given if u have an early may avg of 90-94.99 % ,does that mean my final avg also has to be above 90 so that they dont take it back?

Thanks.

wow you have over 90 average, but haven't gotten into mcgill electrical engineering at least?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
The person at Open House said, "We will never take money away from you, only give you more if applicable". If you can keep your admission offer, you can keep your scholarship.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of seasharp seasharp

@ninetyfour wrote
The person at Open House said, "We will never take money away from you"

Isn't that part of their "pay us for your tuition, residence, etc." model? :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

@Vingilot wrote
does it really matter with waterloo? I mean isnt the only advantage for 95+ a potential scholarship in your later years? No first year benefit.

yeah.. if you have 95+ you get the same scholarship as the 90-94.5 kids, and you get a potential international or research scholarship if you keep your average 80%+ in first year. but it's pretty useful, esp if you do coop in USA or other countries, do an exchange, or do research.

I'm pretty sure the scholarship amount will not drop if they see your final marks have lowered into the next level. i have not really heard of anyone experiencing such a thing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LooMech LooMech
Thank you for responding!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of krankd krankd
On the Waterloo site it says "Your early May admission average, including required courses, must be 90 - 94.9% for the program for which you’ve received and accepted an Offer of Admission. Your admission average will be calculated using your top 6 Grade 12 U or M courses (based on marks available in early May), including all required courses for the program(s) to which you’ve applied. "
Good news for me, my submitted average was 91, but my final mark average will probably be 88 or so :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0