yconic - Question regarding early acceptances
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Question regarding early acceptances

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
I just finished ENG4U in summer school today with a 84%, if I apply for early acceptance will they look at my summer school mark or my grade 11 English mark? I really hope they don't look at my grade 11 mark considering i got 64%

and since calculus is in second semester, will they simply just substitute my grade 11 math mark in place for calculus? Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of chatmike chatmike
They'll look at all of your grade 11 marks and all completed grade 12 courses.

i'm not sure about the cut-offs for your choices excluding Mac, but at Mac you'd need an 85% average minimumto get early acceptance.

And i know you don't want to hear this, but if you got a 64 in english in grade 11, that's going to bring down your early acceptance average by a ton... well that is unless you got 90s in all your other courses.

Don't stress about early acceptance, especially for computer science and engineering, the bulk of the invites are done in april/may.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@chatmike wrote
They'll look at all of your grade 11 marks and all completed grade 12 courses.

i'm not sure about the cut-offs for your choices excluding Mac, but at Mac you'd need an 85% average minimumto get early acceptance.

And i know you don't want to hear this, but if you got a 64 in english in grade 11, that's going to bring down your early acceptance average by a ton... well that is unless you got 90s in all your other courses.

Don't stress about early acceptance, especially for computer science and engineering, the bulk of the invites are done in april/may.

Damn, I was under the impression that they only use grade 11 marks for required grade 12 courses that you have not yet completed
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
Ah, nope, not to my knowledge anyways.

Best of luck with your application!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Does anyone else have any other inputs?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
I agree with chatmike. For early acceptance, OUAC gets anything you completed to that date, and to the best of my knowledge universities use everything OUAC sends. But you don't need to think too hard about early acceptance, really. Whether the programs you apply to accept you early or not, it's the same in the end, even though early acceptance would give you a peace of mind. Also, the more competitive programs would just hold back giving out offers until the last 2 weeks or so. It's mostly because they either want to wait for second semester marks or are busy reading out supplementaries.

@KingKhan wrote

and since calculus is in second semester, will they simply just substitute my grade 11 math mark in place for calculus? Thanks.

No, this will never happen. Even early acceptance is conditional, and if you get it, you can still have your offer withdrawn if your second semester marks are too poor. Universities that don't accept students early are waiting to see the first term marks in semester two, and they will consider you afterwards. This is why most offers are given out in April or May. It's after the first term marks in semester 2 are sent. In addition to that, they also get the final marks in July, when they can choose whether or not to revoke your offer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meridian Meridian
King - one thing to watch for is that your summer school mark actually gets posted to OUAC. Check with your high-school guidance in October timeframe to make sure it shows up.

Your OUAC report that goes to Universities include all grade 11 & grade 12 courses, regardless of when you take them. Unfortunately they will see your 64 in English.
Was this helpful? Yes 0