yconic - Question regarding pre-med school decisions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Question regarding pre-med school decisions

A photo of powerproxy powerproxy
Hi, I am a grade 12 student and I wanted to ask you guys about the following question: Which ontario program provides you with the best scope of knowledge to prepare you for medical school?

Life Sciences
Kinesiology
Health Sciences
Biomedical Science
or other?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Any of those programs would prep you for med school. I'd say health sci/kin moreso than life/biomed sci though, because there's a heavier emphasis on learning anatomy and physiology (which is pretty much the basis of med school) in those streams. Biomed sci is more geared towards research and life sci is more general.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of powerproxy powerproxy
Ok let's say that you are going into the Life Sciences program. Can you pick courses that are offered for the other programs, say Kinesiology so you can enhance your knowledge of anatomy while you are still in Life Sciences?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
If you have the prereqs for it, yes you can take courses from other programs. Life sci students at Mac can take the first year Kin anat&phys courses, don't know about other schools. However, the kin anat&phys is different from the health sci anat&phys (at least at Mac). Theirs is focused more on MSK and they don't have access to the main cadaver lab whereas the health sci/nursing/biomed eng/midwifery anat&phys has more of a broad focus and covers every system and we do have access to the main cadaver lab.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Alikat Alikat
Which school are you wanting to attend? I know that I have been peeking around the McMaster DeGroote School of Medicine website quite a bit lately, and one of the things they emphasize very clearly is that you shouldn't choose an undergrad program based solely on what you think will prepare you the most. You should still take courses that will help prepare you for the MCATs, but what Mac wants to see is that you are passionate about something. Even if that means you do a majour in drama with a minor in biochem, it shows you care about something, and that will do you more good than doing something with life sciences that you don't really care about.

Of course, if life sciences is something that you are passionate about, then completely disregard this comment :bigsmurf:

Good luck :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0