yconic - QUESTION!!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

QUESTION!!

A photo of foreveryoung foreveryoung
So, do you think it's a better idea to choose a university SOLELY based on the program, or to choose a university based on overall experience there (i.e. including perceptions of social life, the program, fit, etc.)
I'm curious.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Choose the program that you feel will help you reach your goals.

If University X has great recruitment, a great reputation, etc., but the campus is a real dump and has a depressing atmosphere, and you feel will hinder your learning, then maybe it's not the best.

University Y may have solid recruitment and a good reputation, but might not be as obvious of a choice as X but has a great atmosphere and you feel better at it, you feel like you will fit in and be able to reach your goals better than at X. So it is likely the better choice.

In my opinion anyways. I think it goes to a certain extent. Choosing a good school vs a great school because of "overall experience" can be rationalized in some cases. But a poor program vs a great school because of it, not really.

Some people feel that the "university experience" is really important, but I don't think choosing a program mostly based on it being a party school would make sense.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of foreveryoung foreveryoung

@g93 wrote
Choose the program that you feel will help you reach your goals.

If University X has great recruitment, a great reputation, etc., but the campus is a real dump and has a depressing atmosphere, and you feel will hinder your learning, then maybe it's not the best.

University Y may have solid recruitment and a good reputation, but might not be as obvious of a choice as X but has a great atmosphere and you feel better at it, you feel like you will fit in and be able to reach your goals better than at X. So it is likely the better choice.

In my opinion anyways. I think it goes to a certain extent. Choosing a good school vs a great school because of "overall experience" can be rationalized in some cases. But a poor program vs a great school because of it, not really.

Some people feel that the "university experience" is really important, but I don't think choosing a program mostly based on it being a party school would make sense.

Yeah that makes sense. The problem I'm in is that both Ivey and Queens offer amazing business programs, and while Western feels like a better fit (and no, not because of the partying, both schools definitely have enough of that LOL), I personally prefer the program at Queens (a lot). At the same time, I didn't feel the same sense of "belonging" at the Queen's campus as a did at the Western campus.
And there lies the problem...but what you said makes sense, thanks :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0