yconic - Questions about applying to business schools
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Questions about applying to business schools

A photo of cocoappleli cocoappleli
Do business schools do early acceptance? As in do they look at your mid terms for grade 12 and give you an early offer, or do they wait until you received your report cards for semester one and mid term for semester two, then take the average of the top six plus the required courses then decide?
For people who are in business schools right now, when did you get your acceptance? How high was your average?
I got 94 in grade 11 as my average, but I don't know what average I will get this year. Let's just say that I get an average lower than 90 (I hope that doesn't happen...), would I still have a chance of being accepted to Rotman Commerce or Schulich? Those two are the ones I really want to apply for.

I also don't have a lot of leadership opportunities. All I have are some extra-curriculars and volunteering. Can I still get in?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of jelly jelly
Its possible to get your acceptance before your second semester marks are in. I know someone who had a ~93 average (final) first semester and got accepted to Ivey and Schulich. Not sure when they got accepted to Rotman though. Pretty sure you won't get into Schulich with a <90 average, but Rotman is definitely possible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Hey cocoappleli,
jelly is right. Business schools do early acceptance. For Schulich, that's in March, whereas the normal round is in May. For Rotman, there's one round of early acceptance really early on...January? Feb? I don't remember. Then the next round is very late (May or June if I recall correctly). If you have an average lower than 90, chances of you getting into Schulich is very slim even if you have stellar ECs. Rotman is possible. If you don't have leadership positions, you need to bs your supplementary for Rotman and make it seem like you gained lots of leadership experience in your ECs :p

Anyways, keep your average high, and you'll be fine. Above 92 if you can for Schulich. (:

Best of luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aeryn wrote
Hey cocoappleli,
jelly is right. Business schools do early acceptance. For Schulich, that's in March, whereas the normal round is in May. For Rotman, there's one round of early acceptance really early on...January? Feb? I don't remember. Then the next round is very late (May or June if I recall correctly). If you have an average lower than 90, chances of you getting into Schulich is very slim even if you have stellar ECs. Rotman is possible. If you don't have leadership positions, you need to bs your supplementary for Rotman and make it seem like you gained lots of leadership experience in your ECs :p

Anyways, keep your average high, and you'll be fine. Above 92 if you can for Schulich. (:

Best of luck!

Do universities look at your first term mark or do they look at your top six?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
You mean midterm marks? They look at your final marks for first semester + midterm marks for second semester. From those marks together, they calculate your top 6.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aeryn wrote
You mean midterm marks? They look at your final marks for first semester + midterm marks for second semester. From those marks together, they calculate your top 6.

oh really? Thanks~
and do they care a lot about the essays or leadership opportunities?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jelly wrote
Its possible to get your acceptance before your second semester marks are in. I know someone who had a ~93 average (final) first semester and got accepted to Ivey and Schulich. Not sure when they got accepted to Rotman though. Pretty sure you won't get into Schulich with a <90 average, but Rotman is definitely possible.

I'll try my best to get at least 92%....Do they look at your midterm and final marks, or do they look at your top six grade 12 marks?
As for the essay etc that you need to write to apply for any of those two schools, are they really important? Does it hurt if you have extra curriculars but not leadership experiences?

As for the supplementary forms, are there a different deadline for them? Can we send them anytime between when we received them and the deadline?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
You can send supplementaries anytime between the date they release it to the deadline. Since quality>quantity,leadership experience is a huge bonus, but don't be discouraged if you only have EC's. The essays for Schulich are really important. The supplementary for Rotman is a joke though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aeryn wrote
You can send supplementaries anytime between the date they release it to the deadline. Since quality>quantity,leadership experience is a huge bonus, but don't be discouraged if you only have EC's. The essays for Schulich are really important. The supplementary for Rotman is a joke though.

So I need to concentrate on getting a 92% average and the essays?
Also, I still don't quite get it... do they look at your top six or your mid term and final marks? Do they ask for the 92% average to be on your top six or your mid term etc...?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
They take your top six marks out of the group of all your first semester final and second semester midterm marks. The cutoff average, around 91, is for your top six, which includes marks from both your finals and your midterm.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aeryn wrote
They take your top six marks out of the group of all your first semester final and second semester midterm marks. The cutoff average, around 91, is for your top six, which includes marks from both your finals and your midterm.

But do they ever look at just the mid terms or finals? Or do they just look at your top six?
I took advanced functions in grade 11, so will they automatically include that mark in their calculation of top six?

Another thing is that for Schulich, I know they require you to take either Data Management or Calculus. I chose both. I'm taking Data right now and calculus next semester, will they just include calculus for my top six or will they include data, too?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555

@cocoappleli wrote

@aeryn wrote

But do they ever look at just the mid terms or finals? Or do they just look at your top six?
I took advanced functions in grade 11, so will they automatically include that mark in their calculation of top six?

Another thing is that for Schulich, I know they require you to take either Data Management or Calculus. I chose both. I'm taking Data right now and calculus next semester, will they just include calculus for my top six or will they include data, too?

Yes they will include AF pretty much no matter what now.

If you have calc second semester, what they will do is for first round which came out last year before 2nd sem midterm, they will include data as your second math and factor that average into your top 6. once they do 2nd and third rounds, and your calc midterm comes out, they will take the highest mark to factor into ur average (calc or data)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jack555 wrote

@cocoappleli wrote

@aeryn wrote

Yes they will include AF pretty much no matter what now.

If you have calc second semester, what they will do is for first round which came out last year before 2nd sem midterm, they will include data as your second math and factor that average into your top 6. once they do 2nd and third rounds, and your calc midterm comes out, they will take the highest mark to factor into ur average (calc or data)

But how will they calculate the top six if I didn't have marks for the other grade 12 courses from second semester?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
they dont (if offered before 2nd sem midterm)

you can get a conditional offer based on your first 3 final marks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jack555 wrote
they dont (if offered before 2nd sem midterm)

you can get a conditional offer based on your first 3 final marks

Was this helpful? Yes 0