yconic - Questions about Functions/Calc Semestered (MA4SEM)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Questions about Functions/Calc Semestered (MA4SEM)

A photo of denden denden
Hi, I'm a grade 10 student and I've been looking at grade 12 courses for a while now.

Most of the university programs I want to enroll in require MCV4U which is Calculus and Vectors but my school does not offer it so I want to take MA4SEM as an alternate.
My school is non-semestered.

My questions are -
How does MA4SEM work? Do you take Functions first and then Calc? Does it take up two spots on my time table in one semester or just one? And would it really count for MCV4U?

AND! Is Functions the same as Advanced Functions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of Bscit Bscit
You are kinda screwed if you dont have Calc at your school. Ive never heard of the course code MA4SEM before. Your best bet is probably go to night school or summer school to get a Calc/Vectors Credit.

Functions is Gr11 while Advanced Functions is Gr12
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xAnthonyLeong xAnthonyLeong

@Bscit wrote
You are kinda screwed if you dont have Calc at your school. Ive never heard of the course code MA4SEM before. Your best bet is probably go to night school or summer school to get a Calc/Vectors Credit.

Yeah just take night school or summer school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of denden denden

@Bscit wrote

Thanks for the answer but by Functions, I meant the Functions in MA4SEM. The course is called "Functions and Calculus Semestered"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bscit Bscit

@denden wrote

@Bscit wrote

Thanks for the answer but by Functions, I meant the Functions in MA4SEM. The course is called "Functions and Calculus Semestered"

Then Im assuming your school probably groups the 2 courses together. Is it worth 2 credits? Idk about your situation but youd probably have to talk to your uni about that.
Also, there is always night/private/summer school which are usually a lot easier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TZak TZak

@denden wrote
Hi, I'm a grade 10 student and I've been looking at grade 12 courses for a while now.

Most of the university programs I want to enroll in require MCV4U which is Calculus and Vectors but my school does not offer it so I want to take MA4SEM as an alternate.

My questions are -
How does MA4SEM work? Do you take Functions first and then Calc? Does it take up two spots on my time table in one semester or just one? And would it really count for MCV4U?

I too go to a non-semester school so I actually do have something similar to this. If we take both advanced functions and calculus we take it as if a semester school would have. So just like your "MA4SEM", we take advanced functions first semester and then calculus the other half.

So yes, if you're looking to take calc in grade 12, go for "MA4SEM".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of denden denden

@TZak wrote

@denden wrote

My questions are -

I too go to a non-semester school so I actually do have something similar to this. If we take both advanced functions and calculus we take it as if a semester school would have. So just like your "MA4SEM", we take advanced functions first semester and then calculus the other half.

So yes, if you're looking to take calc in grade 12, go for "MA4SEM".

Thanks for your answer!
So, it is treated as two courses COMBINED or something like civics/careers where it's one course but half credits each?
So Advanced Functions is included with MA4SEM? That means I don't have to take Advanced Functions if I take MA4SEM?

Then Im assuming your school probably groups the 2 courses together. Is it worth 2 credits? Idk about your situation but youd probably have to talk to your uni about that.
Also, there is always night/private/summer school which are usually a lot easier.

Thanks for your answer!
I think it's two credits. And yes, I will have to talk to guidance about this later on.
Summer school is a month and I'm not the fastest learner under stress. But it will be an alternative. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TZak TZak

@denden wrote
Thanks for your answer!
So, it is treated as two courses COMBINED or something like civics/careers where it's one course but half credits each?
So Advanced Functions is included with MA4SEM? That means I don't have to take Advanced Functions if I take MA4SEM?

Yes it's exactly like civics/careers, but instead its one course with a full credit each. If I'm correct, your school offers MHF4U (Advanced Functions) which goes non-semestered, or MA4SEM(AF + Calc) which becomes semestered, because you can't take Calc itself without AF which is it's prerequisite.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of denden denden

@TZak wrote

@denden wrote
Thanks for your answer!

Yes it's exactly like civics/careers, but instead its one course with a full credit each. If I'm correct, your school offers MHF4U (Advanced Functions) which goes non-semestered, or MA4SEM(AF + Calc) which becomes semestered, because you can't take Calc itself without AF which is it's prerequisite.

Thanks for the reply!
And yes my school offers AF.
So AF is a co-requisite with Calc! That's good! I can take MA4 without MHF then. :) Makes life easier!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of denden denden

@TZak wrote

@denden wrote
Thanks for your answer!

Thanks for the reply!
And yes my school offers AF.
So AF is a co-requisite with Calc! That's good! I can take MA4 without MHF then. :) Makes life easier!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JohnC JohnC
It's ok, I'm in a non-semester school too, and I have MA4SEM. MA4SEM=MCV4U+MHF4U, you'll have MHF4U on your timetable until January final exam, after that,MHF4U will be replaced by MCV4U.
Was this helpful? Yes 0