yconic - Questions about renting an apartment near UTSG
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Questions about renting an apartment near UTSG

A photo of Quilia Quilia
I just got accepted by UofT (New College) as a transfer student. However I didn't get an offer of residence.I don't have problems renting apt in general (since now I'm living off-campus with my boyfriend). It's just now I'm living abroad and I have no clue about the situation in Toronto. It'd be great if somebody can help me out with some of my questions!

1. Is it really hard to rent a bachelor apartment near St. George campus around the end of August (school starts at September)? cuz I can only arrive then due to visa problem. But if it really takes a long time to find a good apt i guess i may try to arrive earlier.

2. What's a legitimate price in general for a small, single-bedroom, furnished apartment near that area? (Or this situation doesn't exist and im absolutely dreaming?)

3. Compared to living in dorms, is it worth it to rent an apt? especially price-wise.

From my experience, renting an apt is extremely hard for couples, since it's rly awkward for other roommates if they share an apt together. So right now I really don't know what to do. Any suggestion would be great! Thanks a lot in advance!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
If you're willing to move slightly farther out of downtown into North York, your costs would reduce a lot. UTSG is right on the subway line, so commuting isn't as bad as it seems if you live on or near a subway line.
Also
http://www.padmapper.com/
Have you tried that? I just randomly found it yesterday somehow (I seriously have 0 idea, it was juts open in one of my tabs) and it seems relevant so :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Since you're moving with your boyfriend, why do you even need a roommate? I live with my boyfriend off campus and we split the rent. We have a two bedroom near St Clair West station for $1250 a month including parking. Some smaller basement apartments and whatnot are definitely cheaper ($1000 or less). As for if you will be able to find something, I sure hope so, but I will say it took us a while to find this place. The rental market is very saturated. That being said, something will probably be available.
Was this helpful? Yes 0