yconic - Questions About U.B.C. Sauder Admissions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Questions About U.B.C. Sauder Admissions

A photo of valdore valdore
So I've applied to a few universities, but my "dream school" is U.B.C.'s Sauder School of Business.

I have two questions that I'm hoping can be answered by people on this forum:

1) I have heard, time and time again, that U.B.C. only looks at second term marks (assuming a three term B.C. linear school system). This would be very beneficial to me as me term 1 average (for my four approved classes) was 92%, while my term 2 average will likely be somewhere in the realm of 96-98% (with a little but of luck and a bit more hard work, on the upper end of that range hopefully). However, if I am only reporting my second term grades, and am accepted based on them, will I have an issue when U.B.C. receives my final transcripts and sees that my overall average for the year is more like ~94%? Does anybody here know what grades students are expected to maintain for the rest of the year if they are accepted into Sauder? I don't want to be accepted on the premise that I am a student with a 98%-average when I know my overall marks for the year will not be that high.

2) Based on my above average(s), and the knowledge that my supplementary application was somewhat lacking in terms of extra-curricular activities (I was only able to fill out 5/10 of the slots, though I do believe they are good activities) and awards/achievements (7/10 slots filled in, but 5 of those are in-school awards that probably don't mean much) while my essays should be considered quite strong (at least I hope so), do I have any chance of being accepted into Sauder? I've been told by a few people that I really have very little hope, based on my supplementary application.

Thanks in advance for any responses to this threat.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
The second term part is true.
As for the average you're expected to maintain, it is NOWHERE in the 90's range, it's probably going to be in the 80's range.

As for the supplemental, acceptance isn't based only on grades. They want someone who is well rounded. When someone from Sauder came to my school to present about Sauder, they said that the people looking at your application for admission really only looks at the first few extracurriculars, just put the most important ones at the beginning. They really want someone who is well-rounded, not just being active in school, but around your community as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of valdore valdore

@cyynthiia wrote
As for the average you're expected to maintain, it is NOWHERE in the 90's range, it's probably going to be in the 80's range.

ahaha. Ok, thanks for clarifying that then. It's not even a 90s average that I'm worried about maintaing - it's a 95% or so average that would really concern me.

@cyynthiia wrote
As for the supplemental, acceptance isn't based only on grades. They want someone who is well rounded. When someone from Sauder came to my school to present about Sauder, they said that the people looking at your application for admission really only looks at the first few extracurriculars, just put the most important ones at the beginning. They really want someone who is well-rounded, not just being active in school, but around your community as well.

As far as this is concerned, I have definitely made an effort to have a number of decent things to put in my supplemental (yearbook editor-in-chief, some volunteer work, 2 letters published in the Vancouver Sun, and some other things), but I wonder whether it is possible to get in with a more "average" supplemental (perhaps not great but not terrible).
Was this helpful? Yes 0