yconic - Questions about UWO Health Sci? Ask me!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Questions about UWO Health Sci? Ask me!

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17
Hey everyone - I just finished my first year at Western.

I was in Biomed first semester, but switched into Health Sci for second semester, took the remaining prerequisite courses and I'm enrolled in the BHSc program for second year.

If you have questions, I'm sure I can answer them :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of Bowchickawowwow Bowchickawowwow
Why did you switch? Why did you chose biomed in the first place? What is your end goal/career?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17
Well I plan on being in Ivey in third year, so it didn't really matter what program I was in for my first two years at Western. Science/Biomed are full of people who mostly aspire to be doctors, or in research, and I didn't want to do either of those things. Health Sci, also, is much more applicable in combination with a business degree, so it made more sense for me.

As for why I applied to biomed in the first place, I thought that doing anything but that would be a waste of the science courses I took in high school. I made the mistake of doing a program I felt like I should be doing, rather than what I was genuinely interested in. :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Marble Marble
what's the main difference between health science and biomed at western?
like courses-wise in the four years
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo

@Marble wrote
what's the main difference between health science and biomed at western?
like courses-wise in the four years

It's ridiculous how much you can learn by just doing a little bit of internet searching.

http://www.uwo.ca/bmsc/PDF/BScBMScBHSc_webversion.pdf

http://www.westerncalendar.uwo.ca/2011/pg404.html
http://www.westerncalendar.uwo.ca/2011/pg586.html
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emotycka emotycka
Have fun with your second year classes.....I just finished second year Health Sci.....the prof for research methods is great....nut the class is basically stats.....Promo is boring, but Irwin is the best prof ever........childhood was horrible....worst class ever lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Angiem Angiem

@beyondsection17 wrote
Well I plan on being in Ivey in third year, so it didn't really matter what program I was in for my first two years at Western. Science/Biomed are full of people who mostly aspire to be doctors, or in research, and I didn't want to do either of those things. Health Sci, also, is much more applicable in combination with a business degree, so it made more sense for me.

As for why I applied to biomed in the first place, I thought that doing anything but that would be a waste of the science courses I took in high school. I made the mistake of doing a program I felt like I should be doing, rather than what I was genuinely interested in. :)

I plan to do BHSc, I also have been accepted into AEO. My biggest worry about BHSc is to keep high GPA. I am not that much interested in HBA but I am going to keep that option open because I got into AEO. My ultimate goal is Law with or without HBA. I need high average for law but I am not ready to leave Sciences yet. Everybody tells me to do Sociology or Pol Scie if I want to go to law. But I want to do BHSc as back up plan as long as I can keep high GPA. Could you please let me know how hard it is to keep high GPA in BHSc? How easy or hard are the couses? Are the courses interesting or boring? How much elective choices you get after taking requit=red Health Sciences courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nickanm nickanm
Yeah i'm also wondering about the difficulty of the BHSc program. For me, I'm stuck between York U and Western. I plan on going for graduate school, so i definitely need a high GPA and I'm trying to find the right program.
I know a lot about York kin, and I know for a fact that its probably one of the easiest programs you can do in university. I've heard conflicting answers from different people suggesting that UWO BHSc is just as easy in which case I would go without hesitation to UWO. I feel like York U is lacking any kind of University experience and i would be commuting so I would rather move out. However, I'm not prepared to make my life more difficult with BHSc (if it happens to be harder than kin at York) just to gain the university experience.
So back again to the real question: Is BHSc easy (Health studies)?

Also, on a side note, I got accepted for Kin at UWO and not Health studies. I plan on switching and people have told me that there should be no problems. Can you confirm that? Also, which one is easier at UWO: Kin or health studies?

Ummm and I was just wondering why you switched out of biomed. Is it because it was hard or were really just more interested in other things?

Last thing (sorry for so many questions) would you post your high school avg is and what your GPA is after first year? I have an 88% avg and I just want an idea as to where you're coming from and how much my GPA should change in university

THANK YOU!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

So the thing about health sci at Western is that you can do well, very well. People either are consistent overachievers or slackers. It's like any other faculty, if you put in the time you'll get the rewards. I just finished my second year and am planning on going to law school when I'm done my undergrad. I definitely have the average for it right now.

That being said, if you're not planning on going into a science career after undergrad, consider not taking some of the heavier, average killing courses like Chemistry (AT ALL, most people I know barely got a 65, Calculus, first year English. Instead pick courses that actually have some overlap with health Sci. It will make everything connect better and you'll have some overlap that you can bring to discussions and essays. i really recommend Sociology, I'm doing an Honours Spec, plus a second major. My second major is in Soc. There is tons of overlap and the first year class is interesting. If you do take Soc, take the essay one. there are fewer exams and you literally only need to write two short essays all year.

Take courses that interest you, and you will do well.

Switch as soon as you get to campus. Literally, most Kin classes don't count for anything in other faculties, so if you are in Kin, just sign up for the Health sci required courses and speak to the Academic Councillor about switching faculties. Shouldn't be a problem. I know someone that switched out of nursing into Health Sci the first day of school.

Actually a lot of people switch out of bio med and into health sci, and vise versa. They are completely different, but most first years don't know the difference between them.

Im not sure about everyone else posting, but I had, I believe a 89 or a 90 coming out of highschool, something like that(but I did my high school in Alberta, so the grading system is a little different- we have provincial exams worth half of our overall mark that get rid of grade inflation.... By the end of first year i had a 79, but by the end of second, my cumulative average is at 85, so it does go back up again. How much your GPA changes depends on how much effort you put in. It's not dependent on your high school mark, it's dependent on time and effort. First year I slacked, second year didn't, you can tell the difference.

And take what you're interested in before law school, you'll get more out of it and do way better.
The number of electives you get varies from year to year and on what else you're taking. If you're taking a and honors spec and a minor, you'll have more electives than if you take a double major, or an honors spec and a second major.
Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about courses or the program itself. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stella406 stella406
Is it easier to switch from science into biomed or health sci into biomed?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo

@stella406 wrote
Is it easier to switch from science into biomed or health sci into biomed?

It all depends on what courses you take. A health science student can take all the courses required for biomed and take first-year health science as his or her elective and then switch seamlessly into biomed after first year.

What courses do you plan on taking in first year? The ones that most pre-med students take? Furthermore, do you want to learn about how the body works normally, how bodily processes change in disease states, and how drugs are used to treat disease states, OR do you want to learn about the Canadian health care system, social determinants of health, health ethics, health promotion, etc...? Health science and biology/medical science are actually two very different programs. I get pissed off when I hear that people choose the wrong program because they didn't take 5 minutes to find out the differences between the two.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stella406 stella406
From what I've researched, they say the requirements are
1.0 course*: Biology 1001A and 1002B, or the former Biology 1222 or 1223.
1.0 course: Chemistry 1100A/B and 1200B, or the former Chemistry 1020, 1050, or 023.
1.0 course from: Calculus 1000A/B or 1100A/B, Calculus 1301A/B or 1501A/B, Mathematics 1600A/B or the former Linear Algebra 1600A/B, Mathematics 1225A/B, 1228A/B, 1229A/B, Statistical Sciences 1024A/B, Applied Mathematics 1201A/B or the former Calculus 1201A/B, Applied Mathematics 1413, or the former Mathematics 030.

and they told me I needed a minimum 75% in my overall year 1, and 78% avg in those three courses. However, realistically speaking, how high should I aim for?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@stella406 wrote
From what I've researched, they say the requirements are
1.0 course*: Biology 1001A and 1002B, or the former Biology 1222 or 1223.
1.0 course: Chemistry 1100A/B and 1200B, or the former Chemistry 1020, 1050, or 023.
1.0 course from: Calculus 1000A/B or 1100A/B, Calculus 1301A/B or 1501A/B, Mathematics 1600A/B or the former Linear Algebra 1600A/B, Mathematics 1225A/B, 1228A/B, 1229A/B, Statistical Sciences 1024A/B, Applied Mathematics 1201A/B or the former Calculus 1201A/B, Applied Mathematics 1413, or the former Mathematics 030.

and they told me I needed a minimum 75% in my overall year 1, and 78% avg in those three courses. However, realistically speaking, how high should I aim for?

You're talking about biomed, right? Because for Health Science You don't need Chemistry or Math. You need to take first year Health Sci( now two classes) and first year biology (again now 2 classes). For some of the specializations you need more (eg. physiology for rehab, math and chemistry for health sci with bio, soc for community rural health development). The minimum average for a health sci honors spec is 70, but for the limited enrollment specializations, you should aim for much higher.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bailey1d bailey1d
Hey,

Currently I am entering my first year at western for science and this is going to be my 2nd degree, however I am very interested in switching to health sciences, I am trying to pick the courses needed which are the social and personal determinist of health but there full my question is you said you switched after 1st semester I was just wondering how I would go about doing this, and right now im currently registered in the bio courses is there any other courses that I should take to better my chances.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted