yconic - Questions for an AEO2
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Questions for an AEO2

A photo of BigBMan BigBMan
Hey,

I think everyone should have made a decision on where they're going by now, so I decided to make this thread for anyone who will be coming to Western as an AEO1.

If you guys have any questions on first year, academic programs and courses, extra-curricular involvements, residences, Western life in general, or anything else, feel free to ask.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
42 replies

A photo of gnazarkin gnazarkin
Thanks for making this thread, I'm sure it will help a lot of people like me.

1. How is the course load?
2. How many hours on average should you put into extra curriculars per week?
3. Has Ivey given you feedback on your first year yet?

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

1. How is the course load?
Not bad at all. It obviously depends a bit on the electives you choose to take, but I didn't see anyone struggle with their course load. It's very manageable.

2. How many hours on average should you put into extra curriculars per week?
I couldn't give you even an average number of hours, but you should try to get involved as much as you can. You'll eventually strike the right balance but between any intramural team you choose to join and perhaps a few exec positions, you could be kept busy enough. Also, unless you're joining an organization that's not associated with the Western USC Clubs, as a first year, I doubt you'll have to do more than attend meetings and spend a couple of hours here and there outside the meetings to fulfill your duties.

3. Has Ivey given you feedback on your first year yet?
No, not yet. I believe we're supposed to get it sometime this month.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of TruthfulTruist TruthfulTruist
Hey perfect, you're in PoliSci too.

Here's a question, I'm trying to figure out my electives. One of my concerns is making sure I've taken the electives to prepare me for Ivey. However, since I'm doing a Poli Sci program, there are certain requirements that I don't necessarily need.

Thus, while certain guys will take Micro/Macroeconomics, Calculus - do I necessarily have to? Any tips you can give me? I'm trying to figure out if I should take these courses as an elective over other social science/humanities options.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SKing16 SKing16
Hey, had a few questions too..

1. You probably ask this a dozen times, but for a relatively smart student, is maintaining 80% in BMOS an easy task, from what you know or have heard?

2. What's the best residence for social science kids?

3. Have you heard of anyone losing AEO because they did not maintain enough extra-curriculars? How do you know if you have enough EC's and what not? what if you cant' get any exec positions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@SKing16 wrote
for a relatively smart student, is maintaining 80% in BMOS an easy task

Lol I think the majority of AEO students are relatively smart :p

But in the end it'll come down to your work ethic as much as anything.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of mvplayur mvplayur
How many clubs were you involved in this year? What were they, and how did you manage your time?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17
Hey, I'm an AEO2 also, and I'm just posting in regards to TruthfulTruist's elective questions, to supplement BusterBaxter's excellent response:

There are no required first year electives that are guaranteed to help you either get into, or to do well at Ivey. Personally I recommend Business 1220 as I took it and thought it was an amazing course, not to mention it introduces you to the case study method, but it's not a prerequisite for anything. But from me it goes HIGHLY recommended.

Econ though, I've heard, is just a big pain in the butt sometimes. I didn't take it, but I know there are online quizzes all the time, and although it's a wonderful course I'm sure, isn't reeeeeally necessary or all that helpful when you get to Ivey. Personally I'd recommend taking a course you're more interested in instead, and getting a better mark in it. Just my thoughts.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Subtle Subtle
Do you think going to the SAO appointment is extremely necessary? Because I won't be in the country for the most of the summer so the schedule is gonna be tight.

Also, how strict is Ivey in regards to maintaining the conditional offer? I entered with 92.2 but say I drop to 90% or something is that going to be an issue?

Thanks!!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@Subtle wrote
Do you think going to the SAO appointment is extremely necessary? Because I won't be in the country for the most of the summer so the schedule is gonna be tight.

Also, how strict is Ivey in regards to maintaining the conditional offer? I entered with 92.2 but say I drop to 90% or something is that going to be an issue?

Thanks!!!!

It's not necessary, but it's certainly helpful - I'd recommend calling in and doing your SAO appt by phone if you can, they do offer that as an option.

And I can't speak for Ivey, but I would imagine that would be just fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@TruthfulTruist wrote
Hey perfect, you're in PoliSci too.

Here's a question, I'm trying to figure out my electives. One of my concerns is making sure I've taken the electives to prepare me for Ivey. However, since I'm doing a Poli Sci program, there are certain requirements that I don't necessarily need.

Thus, while certain guys will take Micro/Macroeconomics, Calculus - do I necessarily have to? Any tips you can give me? I'm trying to figure out if I should take these courses as an elective over other social science/humanities options.

I didn't take Micro or Macro economics, nor did I take Calculus. If I were to do it over again, I would take Micro/Macro but I don't really see the use of Calculus. I instead took 2 courses that focused on Statistics and one that was part statistics, part probability.

I've spoken to a ton of people in HBA1 and HBA2 from all kinds of programs in first/second year and I haven't come across one person who has said that they found themselves at an advantage with BMOS courses and courses like first year economics and calculus. They instead recommended I take Statistics to form a good foundation for a course in first semester, first year Ivey. However, it obviously won't hurt to know basic economics and basic calculus, so go for it. I would especially recommend economics, just because it is good knowledge to have. Other than that Business 2257 is supposed to teach you all you need to know for Ivey and I would recommend you take Business 1220, just because it's a very interesting course and it gives you a head start on the case-study method and case-study exams.

@SKing16 wrote
Hey, had a few questions too..

1. You probably ask this a dozen times, but for a relatively smart student, is maintaining 80% in BMOS an easy task, from what you know or have heard?

2. What's the best residence for social science kids?

3. Have you heard of anyone losing AEO because they did not maintain enough extra-curriculars? How do you know if you have enough EC's and what not? what if you cant' get any exec positions?

It's easily manageable. The one thing that will always stay true for school will be: if you do your work, your readings and everything you're required to, you'll get a good mark. It gets difficult to manage other things with all the required work sometimes, but you'll find your balance and you'll learn how to manage your time. Just come with a good attitude, and you'll be more than fine!

Depends on what you want from your residence. I stayed in Perth, it was quiet most of the times but there were still some great people there so it didn't turn out bad. There'll be social science kids in every rez though, more than enough in every rez actually, so don't worry about not finding people in the same program as you. You will also find tons of AEOs around you haha :p

Getting involved is first of all, more than just getting exec positions. Just make sure to get involved with things you're interested in and keep on the lookout for good opportunities and excel and be the best you can be within these activities and organizations and you will do just fine. That being said, I haven't heard of anyone getting rejected because of ECs but I can imagine that, that is just because AEOs already like to get involved so they continue their involvements. And you fill out an AEO1 activity report, for which you get some feedback from Ivey.

@Subtle wrote

Thanks!!!!

It's really not. I just went to it because I was somewhat too lazy to figure out how to register for the courses myself. That being said, it is still somewhat helpful so if you can make some time and don't mind going up to London, you should go. Otherwise, talk to the Student Success Centre and see what other options are available, and like BeyondSection17 said, doing it on the phone might be a smart idea.

Btw, you guys are so lucky :p. You're getting 3 opinion for each question ahah
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@BusterBaxter wrote
I know quite a few people on SA and on the UWO facebook group make their own schedules week(s) before SAO. If you're one of these people, and you feel confident about your schedule, then I don't see a reason to go to SAO. The only reason you would go is to seek reassurance and/or drop off your tuition deposit (due within 10 days of registering for your first course).

I'm sure once the UWO 2011-2012 Timetable comes out and you browse SA you'll be able to make a great schedule all by yourself, without having to go to London.

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of linlinlin0109 linlinlin0109

@BusterBaxter wrote
I know quite a few people on SA and on the UWO facebook group make their own schedules week(s) before SAO. If you're one of these people, and you feel confident about your schedule, then I don't see a reason to go to SAO. The only reason you would go is to seek reassurance and/or drop off your tuition deposit (due within 10 days of registering for your first course).

I'm sure once the UWO 2011-2012 Timetable comes out and you browse SA you'll be able to make a great schedule all by yourself, without having to go to London.

how much is the deposit?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of linlinlin0109 linlinlin0109

@BusterBaxter wrote
last year, I believe it was ~450; they should have it listed somewhere in your SAO materials/emails.

Edit: the 2011-2012 timetable is out now, I suggest everyone draft a couple of timetables prior to SAO.

https://studentservices.uwo.ca/secure/Timetables/mastertt/ttindex.cfm

Thanks.
And the timetable is really helpful! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Angiem Angiem
I am really worried about my final average. When I got AEO offer my average was 92-92% I ahd few bad tests in Math(functions), now my average would be around 88%. My program is Health Science, I would be fine there but I am really worried about AEO.

1. My questions are, could they revoke the offer, although it doesn't say anything about average in the offer?
2. Would they take Functions marks in counting final average? I read on IVEY FAQ that they consider th Prerequisite marks for the program you are in and Math is pre requisite for Health Scinces and at one place they say we take the top 6. If they take Top 6 then I am fine.

Please answer if anybody knows about this
Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Any courses you guys would recommend taking in AEO1?

Furthermore, I was reading my UWO viewbook for 2010 and under the description for the dual degree from Ivey it is listed as a 5-year degree. So far I've had the impression it was 4 years - am I getting something wrong?

And if it's ok to share, what were your timetables like in AEO1?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@braveandblue wrote

Furthermore, I was reading my UWO viewbook for 2010 and under the description for the dual degree from Ivey it is listed as a 5-year degree. So far I've had the impression it was 4 years - am I getting something wrong?

Yes, it's 5 years for two degrees. They've never advertised it any other way.

Course I would recommend taking: Business 1220.

And I'd post my timetable but it's too much work, so just know that I had a ton of class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Angiem wrote
I am really worried about my final average. When I got AEO offer my average was 92-92% I ahd few bad tests in Math(functions), now my average would be around 88%. My program is Health Science, I would be fine there but I am really worried about AEO.

1. My questions are, could they revoke the offer, although it doesn't say anything about average in the offer?
2. Would they take Functions marks in counting final average? I read on IVEY FAQ that they consider th Prerequisite marks for the program you are in and Math is pre requisite for Health Scinces and at one place they say we take the top 6. If they take Top 6 then I am fine.

Please answer if anybody knows about this
Thanks

You should be fine with an 88.

Unless it has changed, Ivey only requires that you complete a Math credit. It doesn't have to be included in your Top 6 average for AEO. Only english has to be included for AEO. Also, even though they consider the average with your program's pre-reqs, they consider both averages and I'm almost completely sure that they take the higher of the two. Might want to check-up on that though, I might be wrong about that.

@braveandblue wrote

Course Recommendations: Business 1220, Political Science with Jones, Statistics 1024, Both Economics, Statistics 1023 (With Dr.White), Comp Sci 1033

They are all 5 years.

Started class at 11:30 all year long and ensured that I wouldn't have too many breaks in between classes. Everyone is different but personally, I knew I would be very inefficient during long breaks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TruthfulTruist TruthfulTruist
So for my schedule, I think I went a bit crazy, let me know:

Business 1220E
Poli Sci 1020E
History 1401E
Philosophy 1130F (1st term)
Economics 1225A (Microecon, 1st term)
Math 1225B (2nd term)
Economics 1226B (Macroecon, 2nd term)

I'm wondering if maybe I should ditch the Philo/History if they are going to destroy my marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of BRISK BRISK
I suppose I'm the only AEO2 who didn't get an 80% average in first year, haha. Note to self: never take English again.

Right now I'm in Social Science, majoring in Psychology. I might consider changing my major though, not sure yet.

Can any of you AEO2s recommend bird courses for second year? I know, I know, difficulty depends on how much you enjoy the course, blah blah, but obviously some courses have less work load than others. I don't want to make the same mistake of taking courses that are hard to get good marks in, like I did in first year.

Was this helpful? Yes 0