yconic - Questions for current Engineer Students
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Questions for current Engineer Students

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
For Engineering

In terms of course work, is there a lot of reading? What are the classes, labs and lectures like? Is it similar to high school where you take notes in class and lectures, and for our labs we write them up and gather info and hand in everything by the end of the time given?

I'm curious because I don't enjoy reading, unless; however, it's on a subject I enjoy which will most likely be the case.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

Also, any information that you want to share about Queen's, University of Waterloo and the University of Toronto would be nice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato
Most concepts are taught directly in class, but some classes has assigned readings to be done before the lecture. All classes have problem sets assigned to be completed after the lecture. Many labs require several hours of prep-time.

If you don't like readying, join the Arts Department :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sevln sevln
From classes so far, there's not much reading (ie: hardcore textbook reading), the most reading up-to-date has only been for our engineering design course.

If there is any reading, it's usually textbook content you might decide to look over after the prof has taught or will teach in lectures.

As Plato said, there will be problem sets (for a few classes) and lab prep (not all courses have labs). The time you spend on them will definitely depend on how comfortable you are with the material being covered and for labs, what the procedure is and what course the lab is for - some take longer than others.

Labs are conducted and submitted in one session (for first years, it's usually 2 hours), unless the TA allows extra time.

In terms of lectures, I personally take notes, but I've seen many classmates who don't and still do fine. It all depends on what fits you best in learning the material. Some profs may upload their lecture notes prior-to so you can print them out and fill them in, while others upload them after for reference.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
No there is not a lot of reading at all. The lectures were similar to high school, you just sit there, listen and take notes. Labs/tutorials varied. Sometimes you would do an experiment and then a lab report. Sometimes you would do an experiment and then fill out some questions. Sometimes you would just do an assignment or quiz.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike

@plato wrote

If you don't like readying, join the Arts Department :p

If you do more readings in engineering than an Arts/Soc sci/Humanities major, something's wrong there.

I'm all for bashing artsies (because it's soooo fun!) but thats the one situation where they out-do us.

edit: d'oh, as ktel pointed out it appears my sarcasm detector is broken, carry on!

To OP,

Basically this is the way i see it. It's not that university work is SO much more difficult then high school work (because really there aren't any expansive jumps in math and science courses, there's just always small gradual incremental advances)but more so the fact you are bombarded by the sheer amount of stuff you have to learn. Like right now i have 6 courses per semester compared to the 3 courses per semester i had in high school (woot spare!) and the literal DOUBLE amount of work made it quite difficult to adjust to in september.

Tbh, most readings are supplementary, not mandatory unless it's specified (IE memorization courses). I'm not a big reader either and i've done fairly well in just attending all my classes and keeping up with the suggested problems without reading the subsequent chapters in the textbook.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ You missed the sarcasm.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Is the Technical Presentation for ECE in Waterloo difficult?
Was this helpful? Yes 0