yconic - Questions for current Rotman Commerce students
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Questions for current Rotman Commerce students

A photo of SantaS SantaS

1. How do you guys find the program ? How hard is it? How hard is it for a student to achieve 85+

2. Can you share your marks in ECO100,RSM100,and MAT133? (or pm me)

3. Do you know any person who got an internship after first year?? How common for people
to get an intership in second year?

4. Do you think Rotman is going in a direction to become one of the best business program
in Canada.? Are you excited about the new building ?

5. Which college offers more scholarships? tells us about your college experience

6. can you tells us about your experience in elective classes. Marks (pm?)?

7. Are you involved in any EC(s)?

It will help a future business student to make a great choice.
:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@SantaS wrote

I will try to help. Don't go into Rotman. Make a great choice and don\t go there. The program is too overpriced. Your high GPA will be too hard to achieve. Your social circle will revolve round the librarian on the 3rd floor. Aaand you will regret spending the extra $30 Rotman charges for its sup. form. :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21

@MINTOK wrote

@SantaS wrote

I will try to help. Don't go into Rotman. Make a great choice and don\t go there. The program is too overpriced. Your high GPA will be too hard to achieve. Your social circle will revolve round the librarian on the 3rd floor. Aaand you will regret spending the extra $30 Rotman charges for its sup. form. :D

+1

I haven't heard good stuff about rotman's undergrad (commerce). There MBA program is much better. If distance is a problem then try for York.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chr1s50 chr1s50

@SantaS wrote

1. How do you guys find the program ? How hard is it? How hard is it for a student to achieve 85+

2. Can you share your marks in ECO100,RSM100,and MAT133? (or pm me)

3. Do you know any person who got an internship after first year?? How common for people
to get an intership in second year?

4. Do you think Rotman is going in a direction to become one of the best business program
in Canada.? Are you excited about the new building ?

5. Which college offers more scholarships? tells us about your college experience

6. can you tells us about your experience in elective classes. Marks (pm?)?

7. Are you involved in any EC(s)?

MINTOK has no idea what he is talking about, except for the part about the overpriced tuition. I am going into my third year, and I can tell you that the first year is relatively easy if you go to class and can spare a couple days before each test/exam to cram. During the term, you will have an ample amount of free time. Here is my best attempt at answering your questions:

1. The first year program is just as general as any other business program. You take your intro to calc, economics and business. The other 2.0 (assuming you will do 5.0) credits are free for you to choose. I took astronomy and introductory french as electives. But the elective requirements have changed as of last year so I don't know if you can fulfill those requirements with astro/french. ECO is by far the hardest of the three classes, but with the help of past tests and maybe ECOMAN (I don't find him particularly useful, other than for more past tests/answer keys) you should be able to pull off at least a B. MAT is a review of high school plus a little linear algebra and intro to multivariable calc. RSM is a useless class which spends each week covering a different topic in business (ie. marketing, strategy, operations management, etc.). Basically, memorize the slides and text (and I mean memorize, your MCQ's are full of random details picked out of textbook pages). Overall, I'd say if you put in the time before midterms/finals, getting A's/B's is not that hard to achieve. I basically did no work during the term (other than the few assignments and problem sets) but had 1-2 weeks of straight studying in Oct, Dec, Feb, Apr.

2. My marks: RSM100: A, MAT133: A, ECO100: A-.

3. I do know of some students getting internships after first year, but most of them had connections and did not get it through Rotman's Career centre (as it is only available after first year). The Career Centre has postings for 2nd year students and I heard of quite a few students getting positions in accounting and marketing. Personally, I found a position on my own as I did not have any luck with the postings.

4. Many of the Rotman Commerce professors are also Master's level (ie. MBA) professors at Rotman/UofT Economics Dept. So I'd say if you can consider Rotman's MBA top tier, then the Undergrad does have some value. However, I admit it is not on the same level as Ivey, especially if you're pursuing consulting or investment banking.

From my understanding, the new building is only for Master's programs. RSM classes are mainly in Woodsworth college. ECO classes are spread out, depending on class size.

5. I am part of Innis college and I can tell you that it's not a good college for scholarships. I'd look into Vic college if you have >93 average, one of my good friends has a pretty good scholarship that is renewable each year if he keeps a high GPA.

6. As I mentioned earlier, AST101: A-, AST201: A+, FSL102: A-, FSL121: A-. Fairly straight forward classes (especially ASTs)- easy to achieve at least a B.

7. I am a commuter student who also works 24 hours a week at a part-time job and tutors twice a week, and I admit I have not been too involved with the program (personal choice). However, there are many opportunities out there, through the various clubs in Rotman and U of T.

All I can say is: the second year is much more rough. Classes like ECO204, RSM220 (if you have no accounting background) are much more difficult. I don't know why Rotman gets such a bad rep from this forum, when I'm sure it easily compares to Schulich/Laurier. The only issue with first year is the extremely large class sizes, but by second year they are reduced to 50 for RSM classes and up to 150ish for ECO.

My 2 cents: If you can, go to Ivey or Queens. I chose not to because (at the time, and I totally regret this) I did not want to move away. Between Schulich/Rotman, I'd say its a personal choice, just know you will spend quite a bit more money for Rotman (is it justified? At this point, I couldn't tell you). Personally, I love being in the city and HATE HATE HATE the York campus. Also, Laurier is not a bad option if you want to move away but keep the costs low. Give or take a few thousand, I'd say Laurier and Rotman are the same cost, except for Rotman I'm only counting the tuition fees. Plus, Laurier has a co-op program.

Good luck, and remember for an Undergrad degree, the name isn't everything! If you get into any one of these schools, I'm sure you will be successful. It's about where you think you will have the best possible experience.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
^Solid Post.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@chr1s50 wrote
MINTOK has no idea what he is talking about, except for the part about the overpriced tuition.

Pardon me for being sarcastic. lols I've spoken to too many Rotman students who dislike the program very much and either wish they went somewhere else or are planning to transfer out in the near future. All that I mention is just a slight hyperbole of their reasons to do so. However, I am glad you're not against the program. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The fact of the matter is, everyone knows Rotman's admission standards are lower than that of Ivey, Queens and Schulich and most of the students who go to Rotman are the ones who didn't get into Ivey, Queens and Schulich. Most students will not choose Rotman over IQS.

With that being said, your undergraduate degree won't matter too much. If you're talented and motivated, all of the mentioned programs in this thread are solid and will give you the opportunities to find success.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MINTOK wrote

@chr1s50 wrote
MINTOK has no idea what he is talking about, except for the part about the overpriced tuition.

Pardon me for being sarcastic. lols I've spoken to too many Rotman students who dislike the program very much and either wish they went somewhere else or are planning to transfer out in the near future. All that I mention is just a slight hyperbole of their reasons to do so. However, I am glad you're not against the program. :)

By no means was I trying to be rude, in case I came across that way. I am just saying that a decent GPA is easily manageable (especially first year!) and your social circle is what you want it to be. Most of the students do not spend that much time in the library other than right before tests or the night before a big assignment is due. And that's because the workload is not that rough during the term, allowing you lots of time to be sociable. By no means is the program perfect, but it will supply you with a decently reputable BComm, just as any of the other schools I mentioned earlier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SantaS SantaS
Thank you so much chr1s50 for your insightful answers.
I asked theses questions because the SA people have a negative attitude towards Rotman Commerce program. Especially maintaining a good GPA. And it's affecting my view of Rotman Commerce.

But why do you think so many people get kicked out of the program and barely pass the courses with low GPA?
--(international students having difficulties to catch up to the lessons?)
--(admitting incoming students with mid 80s average ?)

You have said "All I can say is: the second year is much more rough."
Are you in Accounting stream? do you mind sharing your gpa :albino: ??

Did you get an intership?

Schulich is one of my option, but I hate York campus, too...looks ugly...
Would you rather choose Laurier BBA + Waterloo BMath DD program over Rotman Commerce?

Ivey and Queens aren't my options.. too much money.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Rotman is pretty expensive man. I believe it's like somewhere between 11-13K. My numbers may be a little inaccurate but I believe QC is 15-16, Ivey is 21-22 (But only in years 3 and 4 when Years 1 and 2 is 5-6K).

The Double Degree with WLU BBA and Waterloo Math is a solid program but if you're only considered undergrad Bschools, is your math good enough to do the DD?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SantaS SantaS
I know that Rotman's tuition increases to 11-13k in second year.
But if I go to Rotman, I wouldn't have to pay for the residence and meals since I will be commuting like most of the people.

I love math....I have been getting mid 90s from elementary school to gr 11..
But Waterloo math scares me... :!:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@SantaS wrote
I asked theses questions because the SA people have a negative attitude towards Rotman Commerce program. Especially maintaining a good GPA. And it's affecting my view of Rotman Commerce.

But why do you think so many people get kicked out of the program and barely pass the courses with low GPA?

Would you rather choose Laurier BBA + Waterloo BMath DD program over Rotman Commerce?

I have a few friends at Rotman, both domestic and international. They say international students own domestic students at Rotman when it comes to academics. :)

With regards to the campus, to each is own. I love the concrete and glass of the York campus. I also love the fact that we do have a campus and everyone can see it, visit it. UofT St. George campus is invisible. UofT building are just scattered all over downtown and I never really get the feel of the university. I just see separate buildings of different faculties and libraries. Just more structures of Toronto. However, I've got to admit: UofT has some of the most beautiful buildings in Toronto. I love the Trinity hall.

I really recommend you to go to bot places and take campus tours. Try to meet students from both schools in person so you can see which vibe you like better and which culture you associate with more. Visit the spring gala at Schulich too. :)

Laurier is a great school and I would recommend that experience over Rotman anytime. You're spend your 4 years in a great atmosphere and in a solid business school. Co-op only sweetens the deal. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SantaS wrote

I am in the Finance/Economics stream. But second year is similar for all Rotman Commerce students: In my 2nd year, you had to take a full year of intermediate microeconomics (ECO204Y: one of the most difficult courses in the program) and statistics (ECO220Y). Also, two accounting classes (RSM220H, 221H) and baby finance (RSM230H- a complete joke) and another 1.5 credits that are your choice (finance students also need a full year of intermediate macro, ECO209Y).

From my understanding, the curriculum has changed quite a bit for the upcoming first year students. I suggest looking at: http://www.artsandscience.utoronto.ca/ofr/calendar/crs_rsm.htm just to get an idea of how the program is structured.

My cumulative GPA is 3.82. I did get an internship (after 2nd year) but as I said in my previous post, I found it on my own through a contact outside of the university.

Here's a rough breakdown of the tuition: Year 1: 6k, Years 2-4: 13k each year. Good news is, and here's what others on here won't tell you, if OSAP gives you less than the full amount of tuition in years 2-4, UofT will give you a grant for the difference (ie. you don't have to pay it back, its called UTAPS). In my 2nd year, I received a $5500 grant, so I only owe ~ 7k for my second year.

With regards to the DD program, I spoke with one of the students who is doing a co-op term where I am doing my internship. He said the workload is overwhelming and the math courses are pretty tough, so you better love math and remember its a 5 year program. But as MINTOK mentioned, you are (almost) guaranteed co-op and I think that earning a double degree in 2 great fields will add some serious strength to your resume.

You should definitely go to all three campuses and speak with students about their experiences. Remember, MINTOK and I represent less than 1% of the student population in our respective programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@chr1s50 wrote
Remember, MINTOK and I represent less than 1% of the student population in our respective programs.

Just a fun fact: iBBA class is so small that I actually represent more than 1% of the students from the class of 2015. :D

chr1s50, thanks so much for your timely and precise responses. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0