yconic - Questions for OVC program at gulph
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Questions for OVC program at gulph

A photo of ineedsomehelp ineedsomehelp
These questions are for someone who is in the program already! I am really looking for them to be answered!
1. If you are already in the OVC program would you mind sharing the marks you got in your pre-req courses in the university you went into?
2. What university did you go into?
3. Were your highschool marks really high before you went into the pre-req university courses? What were they (If you don’t mind sharing?)
4. Is going into university like highschool? You pick the pre-req courses you want right? Like the science ones? Do you do them all in one university or do you have to do them each in different universities?
5. What university would you recommend to me?
6. What should I do right now as a highschool student to be able to go into OVC? To be honest I don’t have any pets and I am looking to volunteer at vet clinics in the summer. I am also taking co-op right now and I am going to do it in a vet clinic. Is that helpful?
7. Do you have to do OVC before going into DMV or can you just go into DMV right after you do the pre-req courses?
8. Is the interview hard to get into the OVC program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I'm in my 1st year at OVC.

1. I got 87% in statistics, 90% in genetics, and 95% for the other 6 prereqs.

2. McMaster University

3. Yes, I graduated with a top 6 avg of 99.2% but I was in IB so I benefited from the marks translation (would have had a ~97% without it)

4. Yes in uni you pick which courses you want to take. Some of them will be mandatory for your program and some of them will be electives. You typically stay at one university but can take online/summer/distance ed courses at other schools (I took genetics at Waterloo because I couldn't get into the Mac genetics course I wanted).

5. Any that has the program you want to go to

6. Yes any vet experience is extremely helpful. When you apply to OVC you'll have to list all your vet and animal experience. So start volunteering at vet clinics and gaining diverse experience if all possible (ie. small animal, large animal, research, zoo/wildlife, food animal etc). They want to see that you've explored the field and know what's out there because you also have to indicate which field(s) of vet med you're interested in going into. Make sure you have a lot (at least couple hundred) hours of VET experience in that area.

7. I think you mean DVM (Doctor of Veterinary Medicine). When you graduate from OVC, you get a DVM degree. OVC = vet school.

8. Kinda I guess, it's MMI (multiple mini interview) style, so you rotate through 8 stations with different scenarios at each one. Mostly they test your ability to think on your feet, express your ideas clearly in a limited amount of time (you only have 2 mins to read it before going to face the interviewers) and problem-solving/creative/empathy/ethical skills. If you don't have any of those skills then it's hard. It's harder to get an interview though, only the top 200 applicants receive an interview invite, the rest of the applicants are rejected based on marks/MCAT alone.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@inthemaking wrote
I'm in my 1st year at OVC.

1. I got 87% in statistics, 90% in genetics, and 95% for the other 6 prereqs.

2. McMaster University

3. Yes, I graduated with a top 6 avg of 99.2% but I was in IB so I benefited from the marks translation (would have had a ~97% without it)

4. Yes in uni you pick which courses you want to take. Some of them will be mandatory for your program and some of them will be electives. You typically stay at one university but can take online/summer/distance ed courses at other schools (I took genetics at Waterloo because I couldn't get into the Mac genetics course I wanted).

5. Any that has the program you want to go to

6. Yes any vet experience is extremely helpful. When you apply to OVC you'll have to list all your vet and animal experience. So start volunteering at vet clinics and gaining diverse experience if all possible (ie. small animal, large animal, research, zoo/wildlife, food animal etc). They want to see that you've explored the field and know what's out there because you also have to indicate which field(s) of vet med you're interested in going into. Make sure you have a lot (at least couple hundred) hours of VET experience in that area.

7. I think you mean DVM (Doctor of Veterinary Medicine). When you graduate from OVC, you get a DVM degree. OVC = vet school.

8. Kinda I guess, it's MMI (multiple mini interview) style, so you rotate through 8 stations with different scenarios at each one. Mostly they test your ability to think on your feet, express your ideas clearly in a limited amount of time (you only have 2 mins to read it before going to face the interviewers) and problem-solving/creative/empathy/ethical skills. If you don't have any of those skills then it's hard. It's harder to get an interview though, only the top 200 applicants receive an interview invite, the rest of the applicants are rejected based on marks/MCAT alone.

This is very helpful thank you! But wait, what are the senerious generally about? Do you have likely chances to be accepted if you get 85's in most of your pre-req courses? What are all the pre-reqs that you have to do inorder to go into OVC? Are there any other schools that offer the OVC program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What about math do you need math inorder to get into OVC? What approx avergge do you need in grade 12 to get into McMasters?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I can't say exactly what the MMI scenarios were about (confidentiality agreement) but generally they place you in a situation where you have to make an ethical decision to see how you would respond.

The mean/median admission average each year is usually around 85-87% so yeah mid-high 80s is a pretty safe bet.

There are 8 prereqs for OVC: statistics (which must have a calc prereq), genetics, biochemistry, 2 social sciences/humanities, cell biology and 2 biological sciences.

OVC stands for Ontario Veterinary College, it's just the name of the vet school in Ontario. There are 5 other vet schools in Canada where you can obtain a DVM degree but if you are an Ontario resident then you can only apply to OVC (unless you meet the residency requirements at the other 4 schools, usually this means you must have lived minimum 12 months in that province without being in university). Montreal only teaches in French though, so unless you're bilingual then you won't apply there either. You can also apply internationally to US/UK/Australian/Carribean schools but obviously those are a lot more expensive and more paperwork is involved (have to get student visas etc).

Math is not required for OVC. But since the stats prereq requires that the stats course you take has a calculus prereq (grade 12 or uni-level calc, doesn't matter), you will have to take at least calculus down the road. It's confusing to explain so basically what it means is that whatever stats course you take to fulfill the prereq for OVC must have calculus listed as a prereq for taking that course. Eg: I took a stats course at Mac that listed 12U calculus as a prereq.

As for what grade 12 average you need for Mac, it depends on what program you're applying to. I was in the health sci program at Mac which requires a minimum 90% average. Life sci at Mac doesn't have a minimum but typically the admission average is around 85-88%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0