yconic - Questions for people in dentistry..
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Questions for people in dentistry..

A photo of harmony harmony
I'm really intersted in that faculty..and I know it's super competitive to get in. Even though I've tried my best to do the research, there are still some questions I have and can't seem to get the right answer.
If anyone knows anything about them, please give me a hand. It'll be appraciated greatly!

1) I know you have take the DAT test. About the carving test and Perceptual portion of the test, do you have to learn these abilities your self? BTW, what kind of figure do u have to carve? I mean..they won't require u to know how to carve a tooth just yet right?

2) How can I get the required GPA? I mean how are u guys' study habits and such..? I know people who want to become a dentist must have good habits and stuff, but what should I do to get those high marks?

3) I want to know especially about the english classes for the 2 preschool years. Are you requried to write a lot of essays? do a whole bunch of critical thinking? because english is my weakest point..If u guys have any tips, please tell me.

4) What other abilities do u have to have in order to have a better chance of getting accepted?

I'm quite nervous, eventhough I'm only in high school right now. I want to know a bit more about this program, and improve my abilities as much as I can, so I'll do good in the pre-school years in university.

If anyone has any tips and hint..be generous and share please. I'll be more than glad to take u guys' words.

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of Reality Reality

@harmony wrote
I'm really intersted in that faculty..and I know it's super competitive to get in. Even though I've tried my best to do the research, there are still some questions I have and can't seem to get the right answer.
If anyone knows anything about them, please give me a hand. It'll be appraciated greatly!

1) I know you have take the DAT test. About the carving test and Perceptual portion of the test, do you have to learn these abilities your self? BTW, what kind of figure do u have to carve? I mean..they won't require u to know how to carve a tooth just yet right?

2) How can I get the required GPA? I mean how are u guys' study habits and such..? I know people who want to become a dentist must have good habits and stuff, but what should I do to get those high marks?

3) I want to know especially about the english classes for the 2 preschool years. Are you requried to write a lot of essays? do a whole bunch of critical thinking? because english is my weakest point..If u guys have any tips, please tell me.

4) What other abilities do u have to have in order to have a better chance of getting accepted?

I'm quite nervous, eventhough I'm only in high school right now. I want to know a bit more about this program, and improve my abilities as much as I can, so I'll do good in the pre-school years in university.

If anyone has any tips and hint..be generous and share please. I'll be more than glad to take u guys' words.

Thanks!

First off, this is a forum catered to high schoolers. The odds of meeting someone in dentistry that is an active poster is slim to none. However, I can try my best to answer your questions, as I've considered dentistry as well too.

1) There are review sessions that you can attend to practice carving. As well, you can buy sample soaps from the creators of the test (the name of the association is not coming to me right now), and practice on your own time. I'm not familiar with the shape that you're supposed to carve, but I'm sure any DAT prep book will be able to tell you the intricacies.

2) Very vague question. GPA for dent is very similar to the GPA needed for medical school. So you gotta work your butt off for the 4 years. Make sure you balance your courseload well, take the right courses with the right profs, and everything will fall in place, assuming you work hard, and play hard as well.

3) Not sure why you're asking about English classes, as they are not required for Science degrees, or are required for Dentistry in Ontario

4) Dentistry is mainly GPA-based + interview. So obviously, you need to be personable and smart. Less emphasis on extracurriculuars, but you should still be active and involved in some sort of interests you have.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Reality wrote

@harmony wrote

Thanks!

First off, this is a forum catered to high schoolers. The odds of meeting someone in dentistry that is an active poster is slim to none. However, I can try my best to answer your questions, as I've considered dentistry as well too.

1) There are review sessions that you can attend to practice carving. As well, you can buy sample soaps from the creators of the test (the name of the association is not coming to me right now), and practice on your own time. I'm not familiar with the shape that you're supposed to carve, but I'm sure any DAT prep book will be able to tell you the intricacies.

2) Very vague question. GPA for dent is very similar to the GPA needed for medical school. So you gotta work your butt off for the 4 years. Make sure you balance your courseload well, take the right courses with the right profs, and everything will fall in place, assuming you work hard, and play hard as well.

3) Not sure why you're asking about English classes, as they are not required for Science degrees, or are required for Dentistry in Ontario

4) Dentistry is mainly GPA-based + interview. So obviously, you need to be personable and smart. Less emphasis on extracurriculuars, but you should still be active and involved in some sort of interests you have.

Thanks for the explination. I'm planning to apply to UofA's dentistry program..after a I complete my pre-school..On UofA's page, they require u to take english courses..so I'm a little concerned about that...
PS: I don't quite get what the "review sessions" are..do u mind explain it to me in more detail?

Thanks again.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh, okay. Most of the forum is Ontariocentric, and I usually respond with that in mind; I didn't know you were from Alberta.

There are review sessions run by different companies that publish DAT test prep materials, such as Kaplan. So it's basically like a course, in which instructors will run through everything you need to know for the DAT. It's pretty pricey though, and lots of people do manage to self-study for standardized tests like these.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Reality wrote
Oh, okay. Most of the forum is Ontariocentric, and I usually respond with that in mind; I didn't know you were from Alberta.

There are review sessions run by different companies that publish DAT test prep materials, such as Kaplan. So it's basically like a course, in which instructors will run through everything you need to know for the DAT. It's pretty pricey though, and lots of people do manage to self-study for standardized tests like these.

Ahhh. Now I get it..
I didn't know those classes exist..
Hmm..then I guess I'll have to study my self some point in life..
I think it's quite weird Universities require something they never taught before..
Thanks for the info!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@harmony wrote

@Reality wrote

Ahhh. Now I get it..
I think it's quite weird Universities require something they never taught before..
Thanks for the info!

Yep, these classes exist - there are plenty of advertisements you can find at your school's campus.

Some schools, such as UofT don't take into account carving scores. You gotta check up on UofA's website if they do or not. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Reality wrote

@harmony wrote

@Reality wrote

Ahhh. Now I get it..
Thanks for the info!

Yep, these classes exist - there are plenty of advertisements you can find at your school's campus.

Some schools, such as UofT don't take into account carving scores. You gotta check up on UofA's website if they do or not. :)

Okay. Thanks. UofA said they look at carve, PAT and RC. I dont know if the rest matters to them then..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mary1am Mary1am
I did not know you had to carve a tooth for the dat test?!!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Mary1am wrote
I did not know you had to carve a tooth for the dat test?!!!!

Well, now u do. It's only for the Canadian DAT unfortunately..and if u suck at it. U r basically doomed..well..pretty much..
Was this helpful? Yes 0