yconic - Questions?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Questions?

A photo of schulichgirl schulichgirl
Hey Forum,

I'm a first year Schulich BBA student.. just finished my exams and so I've some spare time :) If you have any questions regarding Schulich.. please free to ask!

During my final year of high school, I also applied to Queen's Commerce, Ivey, Rotman and Waterloo AFM, and some science programs (got into everything except AFM-PA (deferred to FM) and Health Science @ MAC).

Feel free to ask questions about any of those programs as well :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
38 replies

A photo of SamayyL SamayyL
Mind sharing your reasons for choosing Schulich over the other B schools you got accepted into?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Here are some questions I answered in my inbox sent from a user. Feel free to read.

1. How's the social interaction between your peers and professors? Do you get to know your professors or is it somewhat distant?

Almost every one that I think of at Schulich is fairly social. In class, if you sit beside someone and you say something to person or ask a question.. chances are you two will be walking out of the class still talking. Remember, it's first year and every one wants to have friends and have a network. However, you'll always have those couple of kids that go home straight after class ends and are sharp nosed and you'll find that in any program and at any university so that is not much of a worry. The profs are great here... in class they try to engage everyone but courses like microecon.. stats there's not much interaction with the professor. If you want to get to know your professors..stay after class and introduce yourself.. after a couple of weeks later they will remember your name:P

That's what I do... like I pretend that I don't know an answer to a question and stay back after class to talk to the prof. All of my profs know me now haha, it's all a game :)

2. Would you say the school promotes and stresses mainly on Accounting? How are the prospects for finance?

No, I don't think Schulich promotes and stresses only on accounting. It's called Schulich School of Business for a reason right haha? But there is a lot of opportunities for accounting at Schulich like the Big 4 accounting firm comes here almost every month for networking events and lots of other opportunities so I think that's what lead to Schulich students going into Accounting more than the other streams.

Prospects for finance? Haha, yeah I want to major in finance too. The prospects for finance at Schulich are pretty good but not the best like Ivey. There are some networking events where CIBC & TD come.. but if you want to do Finance you need to go out yourself and hunt. Which I don't really mind doing because Schulich is Toronto, North America's 3rd largest financial district! Like I know this guy in the iBBA who interned with TD Securities, Goldmansachs, Deloitte at his time at Schulich... and there is a guy in the BBA who has a pretty good chance at full-timing with GS next year.

3. Relates to Question 1, but how is the social scene? How friendly are your peers, and is there a strong sense of competition amongst your peers? Would you say it is healthy competitiveness or is it more cutthroat?

The social scene is alright, but I prefer to hang out with my friends at York. There are house parties and stuff every week, and only a few Schulich students come to those. Most of these Schulich students are really nice people but sorta nerdy at the same time you know what I mean? So people at York know how to party, but at Schulich obviously not with the exception of a few people:)

Well, I think there is a sense of competition within everyone at Schulich but no one expresses it. Everyone wants to be at the top right? But it's healthy competition to keep you motivated nothing too dangerous:P Not like UofT where people hack their friend's computer or something haha.

But like once you're in upper year.. and you're trying to get those internships.. like some students don't tell their peers about the opportunities just so they can get it.. you know what I mean? That kind of competition is there in the upper years.

4. Why did you choose Schulich, and not your other choices? If you could go back and choose again, would Schulich still be your pick?

I chose Schulich because of it's reputation, location, and cost. I got $12,000 in entrance scholarship with York, plus 5K of scholarships externally and 3K in bursaries. So like 20K was cut out for me right there.. and I realized I just need an extra 10K in loans and I'll debt free so soon.

I would like to be debt free so I save money to apply for an Ivy league MBA in the States.. hopefully Stanford, Wharton, Harvard, Booth etc. So honestly for me undergrad doesn't matter.. just need a decent job that pays me well so I can save up.

Queen's Commerce was a coin toss from happening, because I was debating between Queen's and Schulich for the longest time.. and I did so much research that I just didn't know what to choose! It sounds crazy.. but it was May 30th and I needed to make my decision. So I just let fate handle it, and it was Schulich :) I kind of appreciate it now because if I was at Queen's I would be paying like 100K for an undergrad. Also there program isn't that diverse if you have noticed...and I lived in Toronto all my life so I was use to different cultures and I liked that..though I'm Caucasian myself.

5. I know you have just finished 1st year, and may not be knowledgeable in regards to internships/career opportunities, but if you can: How well is the career center in terms of preparation, and how successful are internship placements?

I think it's really good! If you would like they help you professionalize your resume, give you good interview tips, run mock interviews with you and so on. They even give you your own Schulich business card ;) which made me feel really cool haha. And a lot of the staff there are past recruiters, I know this really nice guy who use to recruited at Frito Lay and did one year at CIBC as well so some people are very knowledgeable and they'll tell you the right things. And guess what.. through his networks I was able to get a summer analyst position at Frito Lay.. not bad for first year eh?

Internship placements should be getting better and better every year but again are more focused on upper year students. Like the really good ones at banks and stuff ask for more upper year students.. because they have more of a background right? The accounting opportunities are about the same every year which is amazing, and finance is adding on a little bit too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SamayyL wrote
Mind sharing your reasons for choosing Schulich over the other B schools you got accepted into?

Hey, I think that's Question 4^ above. Let me know if that answers your question :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
You said you weren't sure whether or not to choose Queen's or Schulich...Why wasn't Ivey in the debate?

And if money wasn't an issue (like you didn't care about debt/scholarships/bursaries), would Schulich still have topped your list?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote
You said you weren't sure whether or not to choose Queen's or Schulich...Why wasn't Ivey in the debate?

And if money wasn't an issue (like you didn't care about debt/scholarships/bursaries), would Schulich still have topped your list?

Hmm... I should say more like AEO wasn't a debate. The 2+2 structure really did it for me, I didn't want to do MOS where the two years would be a waste. Uhmm.. also the opportunities for MOS students weren't that great and you were only exposed to Iveys networking and opportunities in 3rd year. I would also like to do exchange at my time at university.. and I realized that if I did exchange at Ivey I would be missing a quarter of my education that I'm paying for. Again, it's just personal satisfaction right, I think Ivey probably has the best stats out of any business school in Canada but realized that after I did my MBA.. my 100K tuition for undergrad would be a waste.

Your second answer is sort of hard to answer because I've never thought of it that way. I was thinking of an MBA and that's how I made my decision. However, if a student wants to do Finance and doesn't want any further study there are better choices than Schulich such as Ivey, Queen's, Sauder and even McGill to a lesser extent.

Like for Accounting, Marketing & even consulting I don't understand why someone would pay so much where Schulich with a cheap tuition can cop some pretty good placements(more or so in accounting and marketing).

Hope I answered your question!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey Schulichgirl,
How do you like Schulich?
How's the 1st year workload?
I've heard of not being able to achieve a GPA of 7.0+ due to bellcurving and such. Is that true?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you! :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mercenary mercenary
Would u recommend staying on campus?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1

@schulichgirl wrote
Here are some questions I answered in my inbox sent from a user. Feel free to read.

1. How's the social interaction between your peers and professors? Do you get to know your professors or is it somewhat distant?

Almost every one that I think of at Schulich is fairly social. In class, if you sit beside someone and you say something to person or ask a question.. chances are you two will be walking out of the class still talking. Remember, it's first year and every one wants to have friends and have a network. However, you'll always have those couple of kids that go home straight after class ends and are sharp nosed and you'll find that in any program and at any university so that is not much of a worry. The profs are great here... in class they try to engage everyone but courses like microecon.. stats there's not much interaction with the professor. If you want to get to know your professors..stay after class and introduce yourself.. after a couple of weeks later they will remember your name:P

That's what I do... like I pretend that I don't know an answer to a question and stay back after class to talk to the prof. All of my profs know me now haha, it's all a game :)

2. Would you say the school promotes and stresses mainly on Accounting? How are the prospects for finance?

No, I don't think Schulich promotes and stresses only on accounting. It's called Schulich School of Business for a reason right haha? But there is a lot of opportunities for accounting at Schulich like the Big 4 accounting firm comes here almost every month for networking events and lots of other opportunities so I think that's what lead to Schulich students going into Accounting more than the other streams.

Prospects for finance? Haha, yeah I want to major in finance too. The prospects for finance at Schulich are pretty good but not the best like Ivey. There are some networking events where CIBC & TD come.. but if you want to do Finance you need to go out yourself and hunt. Which I don't really mind doing because Schulich is Toronto, North America's 3rd largest financial district! Like I know this guy in the iBBA who interned with TD Securities, Goldmansachs, Deloitte at his time at Schulich... and there is a guy in the BBA who has a pretty good chance at full-timing with GS next year.

3. Relates to Question 1, but how is the social scene? How friendly are your peers, and is there a strong sense of competition amongst your peers? Would you say it is healthy competitiveness or is it more cutthroat?

The social scene is alright, but I prefer to hang out with my friends at York. There are house parties and stuff every week, and only a few Schulich students come to those. Most of these Schulich students are really nice people but sorta nerdy at the same time you know what I mean? So people at York know how to party, but at Schulich obviously not with the exception of a few people:)

Well, I think there is a sense of competition within everyone at Schulich but no one expresses it. Everyone wants to be at the top right? But it's healthy competition to keep you motivated nothing too dangerous:P Not like UofT where people hack their friend's computer or something haha.

But like once you're in upper year.. and you're trying to get those internships.. like some students don't tell their peers about the opportunities just so they can get it.. you know what I mean? That kind of competition is there in the upper years.

4. Why did you choose Schulich, and not your other choices? If you could go back and choose again, would Schulich still be your pick?

I chose Schulich because of it's reputation, location, and cost. I got $12,000 in entrance scholarship with York, plus 5K of scholarships externally and 3K in bursaries. So like 20K was cut out for me right there.. and I realized I just need an extra 10K in loans and I'll debt free so soon.

I would like to be debt free so I save money to apply for an Ivy league MBA in the States.. hopefully Stanford, Wharton, Harvard, Booth etc. So honestly for me undergrad doesn't matter.. just need a decent job that pays me well so I can save up.

Queen's Commerce was a coin toss from happening, because I was debating between Queen's and Schulich for the longest time.. and I did so much research that I just didn't know what to choose! It sounds crazy.. but it was May 30th and I needed to make my decision. So I just let fate handle it, and it was Schulich :) I kind of appreciate it now because if I was at Queen's I would be paying like 100K for an undergrad. Also there program isn't that diverse if you have noticed...and I lived in Toronto all my life so I was use to different cultures and I liked that..though I'm Caucasian myself.

5. I know you have just finished 1st year, and may not be knowledgeable in regards to internships/career opportunities, but if you can: How well is the career center in terms of preparation, and how successful are internship placements?

I think it's really good! If you would like they help you professionalize your resume, give you good interview tips, run mock interviews with you and so on. They even give you your own Schulich business card ;) which made me feel really cool haha. And a lot of the staff there are past recruiters, I know this really nice guy who use to recruited at Frito Lay and did one year at CIBC as well so some people are very knowledgeable and they'll tell you the right things. And guess what.. through his networks I was able to get a summer analyst position at Frito Lay.. not bad for first year eh?

Internship placements should be getting better and better every year but again are more focused on upper year students. Like the really good ones at banks and stuff ask for more upper year students.. because they have more of a background right? The accounting opportunities are about the same every year which is amazing, and finance is adding on a little bit too.

Nice post. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
How well do you think they prepared you for interviews and business scenarios (ie. Are there a lot of case-based discussions?).

Would you say the top banking jobs are mainly for those on the high GPA end, or just generally for those who network best?

Also, if it's not too personal, why are you so keen on getting an MBA?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of amhsirak amhsirak
How much more difficult is it to get into the iBBA as opposed to the BBA program at Schu? Are we talking a couple of percent, or a few decimal places?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Gemmadoyle wrote
Hey Schulichgirl,

I've heard of not being able to achieve a GPA of 7.0+ due to bellcurving and such. Is that true?

I love Schulich. I've met some extremely smart and fascinating people during my time as a first year. Almost everyone I know here has something they're really good and have their own set of experiences to share. I know this girl who organized a fashion show at Italy, I know this guy that came 3rd in a world chess tournament at Turkey.

You can have some intelligent conversations with all of these people, and what's amazing is that I've only met probably 1/3rd of my class personally, next year I'll meet more people and learn their experiences. It's a really stimulating environment and it motivates you, that's why I love Schulich.

Ooooh, it's tough! You have to get use to it...coming straight out of high school I was just shocked how within in the first week I had like 100+ page readings from courses. If you want to do well first year, you have to put in a lot of effort and do the readings, stay on top, ask for clarification. This is easier said than done, haha trust me I've been through it but I got use to it by the winter semester.

I would recommend you guys to take Data Management(oh well too late now:P)..first year Stats is pretty tough if you don't have any previous knowledge, it'll be a bit easier if you have some background.

LOL where do you guys hear this stuff? Nope, it's not true. A 7 is not that bad but if you put into a lot of effort you can even get 7.5 -7.8, I'm hoping to end with a 7.6-7.7. I think 8.0+ is TOUGH as hell and if you do get a 8.0+ every company will literally be on your *** to hire you. I think in iBBA it's harder for people because of the language course and the globally focused elective which may or may not be in favor of students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mercenary wrote
Would u recommend staying on campus?

Yes, I would recommend staying on campus. You will save lots of time, make more friends, will be able to attend more networking events which otherwise would be hassle if you were to commute especially if they are in the evening. I know some of my friends that finished classes @ 2 and then were too lazy to come to PwC's dinner which is dumb.

Also the social aspect as well right, if you are big on that? It's an entirely new experience and you can learn a lot about yourself by living on your own. Things like: Are you independent? Are you controlling? and Etc. Cram sessions are also a lot of fun late at night =P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
i pm'd u something if u have time look at it pls thnx (and respond in pm :))
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ManUtd123 ManUtd123
I'm wondering if I will get accepted to Schulich even without many ECs? I'm predicting to have around a 95 average in grade 12. I literally have no ECs and im in grade 11. I'm probably going to be on the soccer team on grade 12 but that's about it. You think it's possible to get accepted into Schulich, and how likely would that be? Also, do grade 11 marks matter that much because they aren't so great, so far; or are grade 11 marks only needed for early acceptances?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IanSharer wrote
How well do you think they prepared you for interviews and business scenarios (ie. Are there a lot of case-based discussions?).

Would you say the top banking jobs are mainly for those on the high GPA end, or just generally for those who network best?

How well do you think they prepared you for interviews and business scenarios (ie. Are there a lot of case-based discussions?)

Good question. The Career Center is great, they really know what they are doing in there. It depends stream to stream, for example investment banking interviews will have some brain teasers, a lot of the time staff accountancy interviews will have ethics questions.

For my Frito Lay interview, the questions were very straight forward but I think I got lucky because the the career guy that worked at Frito Lay previously gave me a rough sketch of the possible questions they might ask. If you're interviewing for a junior analyst position.. questions are going to be pretty soft but it's how you respond, how you dress, how involved you are. I want to do Investment Banking right, so I tried a mock interview with the Schulich Career people and I got slaughtered lol..

"What's the cube root of 69? Approximate Answer?"

"If a clock face reads 1:20, what is the degree of the angle?" <--- I GUESSED THAT ONE RIGHT LOLLL! Answer is 80 degrees.

It's a combination of both right? No point of having the highest GPA if you don't network and similarly no point of networking if you don't have the marks. But yes generally a higher GPA will be preferred over networking.. but you should have both. Because for finance at Schulich, those students network on their own.. through Linkedin..fam connections, physically showing up at the banks.

LOL, I'll pm you this later :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@amhsirak wrote
How much more difficult is it to get into the iBBA as opposed to the BBA program at Schu? Are we talking a couple of percent, or a few decimal places?

Yeah, it's a tinsy winsy bit harder to get into the iBBA because of the less spots but the acceptance rate is almost the same due to less applications. Schulich hides this, I think the cut-off for iBBA is probably 1% higher.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@schulichgirl wrote

LOL where do you guys hear this stuff? Nope, it's not true. A 7 is not that bad but if you put into a lot of effort you can even get 7.5 -7.8, I'm hoping to end with a 7.6-7.7. I think 8.0+ is TOUGH as hell and if you do get a 8.0+ every company will literally be on your *** to hire you. I think in iBBA it's harder for people because of the language course and the globally focused elective which may or may not be in favor of students.

What? Really? 8.0 seems a little low... for example, to apply for co-op at Laurier you need a core GPA of at least 8.0 :scratch: This claim of yours seems a little odd.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
oh btw, the pm post i made before was directed at u schulichgirl x)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of A23C A23C
I'm guessing you were on SA last year, what's the chances of me being accepted to BBA with 91.6, decent EC/Essays.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What percentage of people get Big 4 jobs? CATO jobs?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote

@schulichgirl wrote

What? Really? 8.0 seems a little low... for example, to apply for co-op at Laurier you need a core GPA of at least 8.0 :scratch: This claim of yours seems a little odd.

Schulich is out of 9.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster

@schulichgirl wrote

"If a clock face reads 1:20, what is the degree of the angle?" <--- I GUESSED THAT ONE RIGHT LOLLL! Answer is 80 degrees.

Isn't the answer 45 degrees?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@schulichgirl wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

@schulichgirl wrote

Schulich is out of 9.

Oops, my bad. That makes much more sense.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Haha yeah ^

70 - 74 = 6
75 - 79 = 7
80 - 89 = 8
90+ = 9
Was this helpful? Yes 0