yconic - "Business or Economics?" Ivey vs. UBC Economics vs. waiting a bit
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

"Business or Economics?" Ivey vs. UBC Economics vs. waiting a bit

A photo of LoganGraham LoganGraham
I've been accepted to Ivey. I will more than likely be accepted to UBC Econ/Comm, as I just have yet to report my grades.

I don't know which to go with: business, or economics? Business has always been my default position, as it is so wide-ranging; I am more and more attracted to economics every since I chatted with an econ doctorate/professor.

Anybody here an econ student that can persuade me?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Noghi Noghi
I am not in economics I am studying finance in Europe but I know people that have gone in economics and have done really well. What exactly do you want to be persuaded on? I know people that did an honours economics degree (BA) and are now in Trading in IB's. If you are sure you want ecnomics rather than accounting/finance than yeah go for it, there are plenty of career possiblities. If you are unsure I would say go for commerce, its easier to transfer into an economics degree than to transfer into a commerce one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Serendipity Serendipity
Consider the Ivey 2+2 program, do your first years in Economics, if you like it continue with it, if not, do the Ivey HBA program.

The 2+2 program let's you keep your options open ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Noghi Noghi
^^ hey I was excepted into NYU Stern for starting last year (got rejected by Columbia). Congrats on getting in. Although I turned it down for a European school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of axiom2true axiom2true

@Noghi wrote
^^ hey I was excepted into NYU Stern for starting last year (got rejected by Columbia). Congrats on getting in. Although I turned it down for a European school.

"Excepted"? Meaning you didn't get in? :study:

Which European school do you go to? That's cool, as I don't know many Canadians who are going to European universities - I assume you're Canadian?
Was this helpful? Yes 0