yconic - Rank these Uni's for each of these criterias
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Rank these Uni's for each of these criterias

A photo of asian123 asian123
McGill, Ivey, Queens, Schulich, Rotman, Laurier

1) Consulting placement
2) IB
3) Finance
4) Difficulty
Was this helpful? Yes 0
26 replies

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
The funny thing is, here in the west (BC), the only familiar name there is Rotman and McGill, somewhat. It's just like how SFU isn't known at all over there, nevertheless has a great business program.

I'm aware of Rotman's difficulty with all the super smart kids + bell curve, so that should be on top.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dreamswharton dreamswharton
What the hell? IB is a sector of finance? What are you asking? I'm going to assume that you are not a retard and you're asking specifics about IB and general about Finance. Fine, fair enough.

Consulting
Ivey
Schulich
Queen's
McGill/Laurier
Rotman

IB
McGill
Ivey
Queen's
Schulich
Laurier/Rotman

Finance
Ivey
McGill
Queen's
Rotman
Laurier/Schulich

Difficulty
Rotman
Schulich
Queen's/Ivey
Laurier
McGill

You're asian so you should go to Rotman. Also I'm assuming you live in the East but if you're comfortable moving around, another great business school is the Sauder School of Business at UBC.

Sauder is much better than McGill, Rotman & Laurier.

Let me add something though,

Overall
1. Queen's - very all rounded business school, tight-knit community, business education starts from Day 1, Goodes Hall is gorgeous, excellent recruiting, 70 partnered international exchange schools, amazing career centre
2. Ivey - close to Queen's, high tuition though but best place for recruiting, lot of partying year 1 and 2
3. Schulich - good business school for accounting and consulting, competitive, beautiful building, best career centre, and they have the best career help centre because students that go there are 95%+ and therefore they're losers with no EC's and social skills, so they need help
4. McGill - not the best business school, but it's McGill University (top university in Canada), easy to get a high GPA because it's a easy program, lots of international opportunities, Montreal is the best city ever
5. Rotman - don't care if Laurier has co-op, outside business Wilfrid Laurier is no name, competitive, difficult, however if you do well that's good for you because UofT's rep will pull you up, downtown Toronto, downside = commuter, not much of uni parties
6. Laurier - it's good, co-op is competitive in second year though, good uni life, the school is unknown outside of Ontario

Hope that helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

thanks for assuming im not a retard and for your help,

my top choice is mcgill for a number of reasons,

easy program as u said, i plan to work internationally, nice city which is away from my family, gud placements.

thanks again
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@dreamswharton wrote
What the hell? IB is a sector of finance? What are you asking? I'm going to assume that you are not a retard and you're asking specifics about IB and general about Finance. Fine, fair enough.

Consulting
Ivey
Schulich
Queen's
McGill/Laurier
Rotman

IB
McGill
Ivey
Queen's
Schulich
Laurier/Rotman

Finance
Ivey
McGill
Queen's
Rotman
Laurier/Schulich

Difficulty
Rotman
Schulich
Queen's/Ivey
Laurier
McGill

You're asian so you should go to Rotman. Also I'm assuming you live in the East but if you're comfortable moving around, another great business school is the Sauder School of Business at UBC.

Overall
1. Queen's - very all rounded business school, tight-knit community, business education starts from Day 1, Goodes Hall is gorgeous, excellent recruiting, 70 partnered international exchange schools, amazing career centre
2. Ivey - close to Queen's, high tuition though but best place for recruiting, lot of partying year 1 and 2
3. Schulich - good business school for accounting and consulting, competitive, beautiful building, best career centre, and they have the best career help centre because students that go there are 95%+ and therefore they're losers with no EC's and social skills, so they need help
4. McGill - not the best business school, but it's McGill University (top university in Canada), easy to get a high GPA because it's a easy program, lots of international opportunities, Montreal is the best city ever
5. Rotman - don't care if Laurier has co-op, outside business Wilfrid Laurier is no name, competitive, difficult, however if you do well that's good for you because UofT's rep will pull you up, downtown Toronto, downside = commuter, not much of uni parties
6. Laurier - it's good, co-op is competitive in second year though, good uni life, the school is unknown outside of Ontario

Hope that helps.

I do not agree with this.

And I do not agree with some of the other stuff.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1

@dreamswharton wrote

Consulting
Ivey
Schulich
Queen's
McGill/Laurier
Rotman

IB
McGill
Ivey
Queen's
Schulich
Laurier/Rotman

Finance
Ivey
McGill
Queen's
Rotman
Laurier/Schulich

Difficulty
Rotman
Schulich
Queen's/Ivey
Laurier
McGill

Overall

Hope that helps.

+1, good post.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
Should've added Accounting to the list.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

If we were to add accounting,

1. Schulich
2. Waterloo AFM-PA
3. Queen's/Laurier
4. Ivey

Haven't heard much about Rotman or McGill's accounting, so you know what that means.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xxMoonCakezxx xxMoonCakezxx
If you don't know which stream you want to work in - where do you go?

Also - by being the best in Accounting, Schulich is known for Accounting specializations?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

one more question, i know rotman and ivey are really hard, but how can u say mcgill is the easiest?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@dreamswharton wrote

Consulting
Ivey
Schulich
Queen's
McGill/Laurier
Rotman

IB
McGill
Ivey
Queen's
Schulich
Laurier/Rotman

Finance
Ivey
McGill
Queen's
Rotman
Laurier/Schulich

Difficulty
Rotman
Schulich
Queen's/Ivey
Laurier
McGill

Overall

Hope that helps.

I do not agree with this.

And I do not agree with some of the other stuff.

what dont u agree with, apart from montreal being the best city?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of excitedloon excitedloon

@dreamswharton wrote

Consulting
Ivey
Schulich
Queen's
McGill/Laurier
Rotman

IB
McGill
Ivey
Queen's
Schulich
Laurier/Rotman

Finance
Ivey
McGill
Queen's
Rotman
Laurier/Schulich

Difficulty
Rotman
Schulich
Queen's/Ivey
Laurier
McGill

Overall

Hope that helps.

You mentioned UBC... how does their business program compare and how is their job recruiting for students that are graduating and looking to find good paying, successful business jobs in Vancouver?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ xxmoonCakezxx

No one knows which stream they want to work in. In high school, you think you know but when you realize the opportunities you have in university, you change your mind. It's really rare that a seventeen year old picks what they want to do and follow through with it for the rest of their life.

Every business school will give you a good background into all streams first year, and then you can decide in later years what you want to do. However, I would suggest going into a very all-rounded business school so the stream you choose has plenty of opportunities.

For example, if you're at Ivey but you want to go into Accounting, it isn't the best place for you. Similarly, if you want to go into Finance, Schulich is definitely not the place for you. I think Queen's very all-rounded in that sense. I don't know how your marks are, but if Queen's is not in your picture perhaps consider Laurier. Students there are pretty diverse in career choices.

Take a loot at this and see how diverse the choices are for Queen's Comm Class of 2011. Feel free to view their resumes too. Check out Andrew Iu, he's intense.

http://business.queensu.ca/recruiting/student_resumes/bcom/index4.php

Yes, by Schulich being the best in accounting, Schulich is mainly known for it's accounting specializations. It's put first because of it's reputation, it's also really good for Consulting. That's why the Big 4 comes there, - KMPG, Ernst & Young, Deloitte, and Pricewaterhouse Coopers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ asian 123

Someone asked me same question in my inbox yesterday. Now, when I mean easy I don't mean easy like those bird courses you have in high school where you know you will get a 95+. University is not 'easy', you were admitted into university because you are an academic and you are smart and so you will be treated and challenged accordingly (even in Nipissing and Lakehead).

Now when I mean McGill is the easiest, I mean McGill management is relatively easier than the other programs. I can say this because McGill isn't known for it's business, it's not as intensive there. Money is funded more into their science programs and McGill's science is known world wide. They aren't really trying to make too much of an effort to improve Desautels.

I've talked to McGill Management students and they claim that first year is relatively easy compared to all the other first year programs at McGill. This makes sense because first, McGill isn't known for it's business programs (doesn't mean it's bad though, just not as recognized as it's amazing science programs). Secondly, you first year at McGill management allows you to take numerous electives. I remember speaking to one guy, and he said he had something like 8 electives.. well whatever, bottom line there are a lot of electives first year! Which means what? You'll be choosing electives based on your interests which means you'll be doing really good. Thus, making the program easy.

Compare this course structure to Queen's where you have to take, business management & communications, financial accounting, management accounting marketing, organizational behaviour, managerial statistics, principles of economics and math analysis for management all FIRST YEAR.

Schools like Schulich, Queen's, & Rotman have a pretty rigorous curriculum and so it's much harder. They have a set of courses that students HAVE to take and it may not be in the student's interest to take these courses. Compare this to the electives that McGill gives you. You will get a much higher GPA if you are taking courses you like. Thus, McGill management is much easier compared to other programs.

If you get into Honours in Investment Management in second year though, that's a different story.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@dreamswharton wrote
@ xxmoonCakezxx

No one knows which stream they want to work in. In high school, you think you know but when you realize the opportunities you have in university, you change your mind. It's really rare that a seventeen year old picks what they want to do and follow through with it for the rest of their life.

Every business school will give you a good background into all streams first year, and then you can decide in later years what you want to do. However, I would suggest going into a very all-rounded business school so the stream you choose has plenty of opportunities.

For example, if you're at Ivey but you want to go into Accounting, it isn't the best place for you. Similarly, if you want to go into Finance, Schulich is definitely not the place for you. I think Queen's very all-rounded in that sense. I don't know how your marks are, but if Queen's is not in your picture perhaps consider Laurier. Students there are pretty diverse in career choices.

Take a loot at this and see how diverse the choices are for Queen's Comm Class of 2011. Feel free to view their resumes too. Check out Andrew Iu, he's intense.

http://business.queensu.ca/recruiting/student_resumes/bcom/index4.php

Yes, by Schulich being the best in accounting, Schulich is mainly known for it's accounting specializations. It's put first because of it's reputation, it's also really good for Consulting. That's why the Big 4 comes there, - KMPG, Ernst & Young, Deloitte, and Pricewaterhouse Coopers.

KPMG, not KMPG (I'll assume that's a typo though :bounce: )

You make some good points. But you make it sound like the Big 4 recruit solely from Schulich, which isn't true. You make it seem like they are on top by a mile for accounting.

I think first year university, most people gain a greater understanding of the business field and are able to make a decision on where they want to go more easily. I know lots of people (not just at my school, all over) who do really well in business classes, but still have no clue how the business world works. Kinda funny how they get through with good marks, and then somethings mentioned and they're like "what?!" and me and some others like "yeah" and they're like "oh, really? And how'd you know". I'm not claiming to know everything, I've still got some learning, but comparatively. It's not everybody, I know some that are similar to me, but others... yikes!

I'm going to stop rambling now.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ excitedloon

Sauder School of Business is an amazing business school. You don't hear from it much in this forum, and I don't know why because there are thousands of people applying there each year. It's probably because a majority of the students on this forum are from the east. But UBC Sauder is seriously competitive, because it's probably one of the only top tier business schools in the west.

It's cut off is 84.. but the majority of students entering the program are well above that. I like how Sauder has some really cool programs to offer. It allows you to specialize in real estate or even transportation & logistics. You can even do a sub specialization in e-business. That's pretty cool. I think Sauder is also pretty all-rounded business school. The majority of the students specialize in Accounting & Finance (a bit more in accounting).

It's definitely up there with the top tier business schools in Ontario. In terms of job recruiting, 92% of students are already employed in the class of 2010. Hmm.. I don't know what it is with the percentage 92, I'm pretty sure Ivey and Queen's have the same employment rate. Weird. Anyways, so that's a pretty good employment rate. I don't know how the job recruiting is if you specifically want to work in Vancouver.

But it should be pretty good, because around 75% of all employed grads are placed in BC. However, the average starting pay you get out of this program is like 41-43K so I don't think you get many high paying jobs in Vancouver. I would way 41-43K starting is not bad at all but comparing it to Ivey the starting salary is 62K so you can see the difference.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@dreamswharton wrote
@ excitedloon

Sauder School of Business is an amazing business school. You don't hear from it much in this forum, and I don't know why because there are thousands of people applying there each year. It's probably because a majority of the students on this forum are from the east. But UBC Sauder is seriously competitive, because it's probably one of the only top tier business schools in the west.

It's cut off is 84.. but the majority of students entering the program are well above that. I like how Sauder has some really cool programs to offer. It allows you to specialize in real estate or even transportation & logistics. You can even do a sub specialization in e-business. That's pretty cool. I think Sauder is also pretty all-rounded business school. The majority of the students specialize in Accounting & Finance (a bit more in accounting).

It's definitely up there with the top tier business schools in Ontario. In terms of job recruiting, 92% of students are already employed in the class of 2010. Hmm.. I don't know what it is with the percentage 92, I'm pretty sure Ivey and Queen's have the same employment rate. Weird. Anyways, so that's a pretty good employment rate. I don't know how the job recruiting is if you specifically want to work in Vancouver.

But it should be pretty good, because around 75% of all employed grads are placed in BC. However, the average starting pay you get out of this program is like 41-43K so I don't think you get many high paying jobs in Vancouver. I would way 41-43K starting is not bad at all but comparing it to Ivey the starting salary is 62K so you can see the difference.

+1

Sauder's underrated on this forum. And I know people who have gotten rejected with averages in the mid-90s.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kargo93 Kargo93
I heard sauder is top at marketing?

Also can someone rank schools for marketing?
:cheers:

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ g93

Hm, I'm so sorry for switching two letters up in a abbreviation. I seriously don't know how I made a mistake of such magnitude. Please forgive me?

Also, me saying Schulich is top by a mile for accounting and you assuming that are two different things. AFM-PA is pretty close Schulich's accounting, because you have a lot more working opportunities. But you don't really get that diverse business knowledge in AFM like you do in Schulich. Guess that's why Schulich gives you a BBA, AFM doesn't. Also, AFM is five years, with only first year summer off. I mean...I don't know about you but I would rather be at a place where it gives me a BBA, and allows me to finish in 4 years and gives me the option to choose if I want to work in the summer or not. Ofcourse, AFM is ahead of Schulich (AFM is in Waterloo, etc..) in some areas but that's not saying much. Also, yes other schools get recruiters from the Big 4, but I mean are they going to hire more people at Ivey or Schulich? The Big 4 know which schools are more interested, and they'll take accordingly to the size of student interest. It's common sense.

And it's good that you are actually learning the way business works. I say keep going because few people, actually learn what's going on in business classes. All they do is memorize and know their sh*t inside out for a test. And then right after they forget everything. To those people that are only getting high marks, it's because Business isn't for them. If it was, when they study for tests they actually learn and remember the stuff because they're interested. And in the real world you'll succeed much more than they do because you'll apply what you've learned in the classroom.

All the best with applications.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@dreamswharton wrote
@ g93

Hm, I'm so sorry for switching two letters up in a abbreviation. I seriously don't know how I made a mistake of such magnitude. Please forgive me?

Also, me saying Schulich is top by a mile for accounting and you assuming that are two different things. AFM-PA is pretty close Schulich's accounting, because you have a lot more working opportunities. But you don't really get that diverse business knowledge in AFM like you do in Schulich. Guess that's why Schulich gives you a BBA, AFM doesn't. Also, AFM is five years, with only first year summer off. I mean...I don't know about you but I would rather be at a place where it gives me a BBA, and allows me to finish in 4 years and gives me the option to choose if I want to work in the summer or not. Ofcourse, AFM is ahead of Schulich (AFM is in Waterloo, etc..) in some areas but that's not saying much. Also, yes other schools get recruiters from the Big 4, but I mean are they going to hire more people at Ivey or Schulich? The Big 4 know which schools are more interested, and they'll take accordingly to the size of student interest. It's common sense.

And it's good that you are actually learning the way business works. I say keep going because few people, actually learn what's going on in business classes. All they do is memorize and know their sh*t inside out for a test. And then right after they forget everything. To those people that are only getting high marks, it's because Business isn't for them. If it was, when they study for tests they actually learn and remember the stuff because they're interested. And in the real world you'll succeed much more than they do because you'll apply what you've learned in the classroom.

All the best with applications.

Just don't want people wandering around saying "KMPG" because they learned it on SA.

Another benefit to the AFM is that you only have to write the UFE. But yes, the BBA I would think is better than the BAFM and MAcc. And Laurier is quite similar to Schulich. BBA as well. Both great for accounting. I don't think the gap is very big.

From what I hear, there is a problem in all areas of work of students coming out of university and sometimes college and thinking they know everything and having very high marks, but when they get to a real-life situation, they can't figure out what to do, or screw up. Sometimes a lack of knowledge of the real world, sometimes a lack of common sense, sometimes both. Also many people that just don't really care enough. (This should go under "what is wrong with our generation thread")

Where are you applying to?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

LOL, I'm a second year student at Waterloo - Nanotech Engineering.

Back then I was undecided if I wanted to go into Engineering or Business so I applied both streams. I chose Engineering over Business because of my parents and because I heard Nanotech was really good at UW. This was probably the worst decision of my life, now I want to get back to business so I've been talking to students and researching. I plan to transfer to Ivey, but that's pretty tough from another school.

If I don't, I'll have to kill Nanotech and work in a quaternary industry. Then kill my GMAT and apply to Wharton.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@dreamswharton wrote

Back then I was undecided if I wanted to go into Engineering or Business so I applied both streams. I chose Engineering over Business because of my parents and because I heard Nanotech was really good at UW. This was probably the worst decision of my life, now I want to get back to business so I've been talking to students and researching. I plan to transfer to Ivey, but that's pretty tough from another school.

If I don't, I'll have to kill Nanotech and work in a quaternary industry. Then kill my GMAT and apply to Wharton.

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JSH10 JSH10

@dreamswharton wrote

Getting into Ivey from another school is not difficult. However, considering the fact that your in a difficult program, that may make it difficult. If you can get an 80% in your first two years at nano, then you can transfer to Ivey no problem (as long as you dont screw up the supp)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

can anyone else comment on the difficulty of these programs, and comment on general to mcgills business program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

bump
Was this helpful? Yes 0