yconic - RBC Essay Questions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

RBC Essay Questions

A photo of Stratton Stratton
For those of you who have done or are doing the RBC application, are your essay responses formal or informal?

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
27 replies

A photo of experiencer experiencer
I don't think it really matters. As long as you don't use profanity and slang, it should be OK.

I would think the responses can have a "friendly" tone to it as they are personal responses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 351351 351351
I'm doing the RBC application too. My essays aren't really formal but they don't have slang words or anything like that. Just think of how you write your essays in school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of highxonxsplenda highxonxsplenda
The questions require a personal response so I don't think it's super formal. Instead, make it sound like your voice and it'll be more engaging to read.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
just remember not to use contractions!!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gracelin gracelin
TECHNICALLY, you're the author. Therefore you may create your own diction.
Whatever you feel comfortable with, just don't use swear words every other sentence ok?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sweetmilly sweetmilly
I agree with what's been said so far, just use your own voice. I don't think it has to be 'formal', persay, but it should be professional. IE, don't use slang, profanity, etc. And be engaging. Sell yourself. At least, that's what I'm doing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of linglam1 linglam1
Just a question to add about this scholarship:

For your role model, did you use someone famous or someone you know personally?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@linglam wrote
Just a question to add about this scholarship:

For your role model, did you use someone famous or someone you know personally?

I wrote my essay about someone I know personally, but I don't think it matters if you write it about someone you know versus a celebrity. It didn't really specify. If you are still unsure maybe you should contact them to clarify.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
If you do a good job explaining who your role model is, and what makes them a role model, you'll do fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dancingvet dancingvet
I am answering the questions in an informal way. My role model is someone I know, didn't even think of considering a celebrity. Good Luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of graemebenjamin graemebenjamin
Most role models are people you know, so it definitely shouldn't be formal.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@graemebenjamin wrote
Most role models are people you know, so it definitely shouldn't be formal.

I don't see why this necessarily excludes a formal essay.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DAW93 DAW93
I don't think it has to be formal and I think it can be anyone, whether or not you know them personally.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Depending on what you find more comfortable I guess because there was no requirement for it to be formal
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hkbialik hkbialik
My inclination would be to endear the reader to you, make them feel like you're a real person and compel them to empathize with you. They're asking personal questions, after all.

As for the celebrity vs someone you know, I think you can tell a more touching and personal story about someone you know. When you admire someone famous, you don't have that two-way relationship, so it tends to be more shallow than an ordinary person who's really touched your life. Again, I think this makes you seem like a real person because you're expanding into other areas in your life, such as your meaningful relationships.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CanadaBoy CanadaBoy
The role model essay is a hundred words or fewer. It doesn't make much of a difference whether it's formal, based on someone you know, etc. You'll be hard pressed to even answer the question in so few words.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hearrts hearrts
So true! It's so hard to write less than 100 words.. and it's confusing as to whether or not to use formal/informal writing.. T____________T
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Wendy_D Wendy_D
Woo hoo! Just submitted mine! :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of marygao marygao
Kept it formal, but not formal like an essay. At least punctuations are correct.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Just submitted mine yesterday afternoon. :D
My essays weren't too formal, they just sounded like regular narrative essays.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Harby Harby

The role model essay is a hundred words or fewer. It doesn't make much of a difference whether it's formal, based on someone you know, etc. You'll be hard pressed to even answer the question in so few words.

You have no idea how many times I had to re-write my essay for it to be the right number of words haha. Also, I'm having issues with the volunteerism/extracurriculars part where it asks you for how many hours you participated. I mean, I was working on it all year but I can't very well put 24hours*365days can I? (That's a joke, I'll figure something out.)

Nothing like waiting until the last minute before putting everything together. :bom:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Shannie Shannie
I was going to apply for this scholarship, but I was busy helping a friend.....I DIDN'T REALIZE THE CUT-OFF TIME WAS 6:00PM >.< .................oh well on to the next one :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ClarksonMark ClarksonMark
I kept mine extremely formal, it is an essay after all, and when it was worth that much of your percentage, it couldnt have hurt
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of amneetak amneetak
I kept it formal, but not like an essay. Just made sure punctuation was correct.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of academicchica academicchica
OMG I submitted mine, right before the deadline! But I used a combination of both formal and informal. I mean although you are answering the questions, you still want to portray your personality.
Was this helpful? Yes 0