yconic - RCMP/CSIS + Bachelor of Computer Science = Help!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

RCMP/CSIS + Bachelor of Computer Science = Help!

A photo of ClayTanner ClayTanner
Hey all, I'm new here so if I posted this in the wrong section, sorry! This was the only forum I knew of that I thought would be a reasonable place to post this. I just finished my first year towards a Bachelor of Computer Science and am finally starting to develop an idea of what career path I would like to follow. I am /extremely/ interested in working for the RCMP or CSIS performing computer forensics and security work. I was curious if anyone could offer me any advice on the topic. I am starting to feel as though a Bachelor of Computer Science was not the best path to take in pursuit of these careers? While this would be unfortunate, I'd like to find out sooner than later and get back on track! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

NOTE: I mention RCMP and CSIS as they are the only two I am aware of. If someone knows of anything similar, I would definitely be interested.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
What specifically do you want to do with the RCMP or CSIS?

RCMP careers are here: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/recruiting-recrutement/index-eng.htm

CSIS careers are here: http://www.csis-scrs.gc.ca/index-eng.asp

I have spoken with human resources personnel in both agencies. For CSIS, they said my application is personally reviewed (not by a computer) and they really want to know why you're special and why they should bother interviewing you. Remember, this is the elite security agency of Canada, and you're not going to get in just being average. You also have to be Canadian and have a clean background (no suspicious traveling outside of the country).

For the RCMP, their applications are reviewed by a computer, so be sure to use lots of good descriptive and action words (led, organized, managed, developed, etc.). Also, they're the elite policing unit of Canada, so same as above: tell them why you're special and why they need to hire you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Phase Phase
I don't know about the RCMP, but sounds like you want to do cryptography work for CSIS. Anyways, computer science is good from what I've from them, but you might want to double major in math as well. You may need a math phD as well, and the screening process is very rigorous. I believe you need to take a drug test, polygraph, psychological evaluation, and thorough background check to be eligible for the security clearance and hence employment with them. If you make it, you get to work with very interesting, top secret, classified projects.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for the replies so far. In regards to what I want to do, I don't have an exact answer for that. I want to do something that's going to use computers to solve and prevent crimes or at least help people. I /don't/ want to be the guy that helps the RCMP with their tech problems. I don't know what types of positions there are like this so I figured maybe computer forensics would be a good place to start?

Double major in math is good news as I just registered for ten math courses this year!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ClayTanner wrote
...I don't have an exact answer for that. I want to do something that's going to use computers to solve and prevent crimes or at least help people. I /don't/ want to be the guy that helps the RCMP with their tech problems. I don't know what types of positions there are like this so I figured maybe computer forensics would be a good place to start?

Double major in math is good news as I just registered for ten math courses this year!

Why don't you check their websites above and see what job opportunities they have available then?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quiz Quiz

@ARMY101 wrote

@ClayTanner wrote
...I don't have an exact answer for that. I want to do something that's going to use computers to solve and prevent crimes or at least help people. I /don't/ want to be the guy that helps the RCMP with their tech problems. I don't know what types of positions there are like this so I figured maybe computer forensics would be a good place to start?

Why don't you check their websites above and see what job opportunities they have available then?

Bachelor of Artsie spotted wandering around in the math, engineering, and computer science section. Mind=blown.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Quiz wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@ClayTanner wrote

Bachelor of Artsie spotted wandering around in the math, engineering, and computer science section. Mind=blown.

Excuse me, I am a law student who graduated on the Dean's Honour Roll for such impeccable marks throughout my entire career.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Yeah you and hundreds of other students...But it's nice to have that. I graduated "With Distinction" and with First Class Standing. Woohoo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I have already looked at the careers listed on both organizations websites. I didn't find what I was looking for, hence why I am here. I know the careers I am describing exist, I just need a shove in the right direction.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SiVisPacemParaBellum SiVisPacemParaBellum
Look for jobs with "data analyst" or "systems analyst" in the title. Cryptography is another area of employment you might what to consider.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah cryptography sounds like it might be my sort of thing. I have been telling people that data analyst/systems analyst was my intended career but I wasn't sure if that was really the right title. I'll have to look into that some more.
Was this helpful? Yes 0