yconic - Real Co-Op Programs
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Real Co-Op Programs

A photo of ateen ateen
Hi - which mechanical engineering programs have real co-op.
I think only Waterloo and Conestoga have co-op work terms
scheduled in between school terms. Other schools talk about
taking 3rd year off to work for a year. Can someone please
share their knowledge about co-op in engineering. Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of Ferinthul Ferinthul
mcmaster, ryerson and waterloo and uoft scarborough offer co-op for engineering programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of n0y0x n0y0x
Waterloo alternates between co-op and school terms every 4 months. By the time you graduate, you'll have gone through 6 co-op terms, with potentially 6 different employers and experiences. This totals for 2 years of experience.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ateen ateen
Real co-op. That's what i'm talking about. I only see it at Waterloo and Conestoga.
I want real co-op. I can't stand the idea of 4 years of professors - blah, blah, blah.
I need to see some real world examples, not just theory.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
I don't understand what you mean by "real co-op".. McMaster has "real co-op" too, I guess the only difference between Mac and Waterloo is that Mac's co-op for Engineering is optional. Western offers Summer co-op or internship.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of butakun butakun
I see that you and I aim for the same kind of program, one with co-op in-between study terms. Is that what you mean by saying "real co-op"?

I've found that except the schools you cited, Ottawa, Windsor, McMaster, Concordia in Quebec and Victoria in BC have such programs. Some of these require co-op, while others have another, co-op version program, which has slightly different study term sequence from the non co-op program.

As far as I can remember, in UOIT, Western Ontario and U of T you can do summer co-op as an option. Hope this helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
University of Alberta also has what you would call "real co-op". You also have 4 month summers every year where you can work
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kylepohl kylepohl
Mandatory co-op at waterloo is the best you can get. I'm half way through mech eng at waterloo and I landed a sick position with Suncor making $30/hr. Highly recommended.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of whatthe whatthe
University of Toronto, offers a 12-16 month workterm called PEY, after your second year, you are eligible if you maintain a 2.0 GPA or higher, and they also offer summer 4 month work terms. Unlike waterloo, this doesn't open as much opportunities, forcing you to have 6 workterms. Jesus christ..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of drexu drexu
If you really want a "real co-op" education, you are better off going to a technical college. Typically, most of their degrees takes 2 years to finish.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CeeVeeCee CeeVeeCee
Waterloo offers stream 4 Co-Op (4 months in school,4 months of co-op) for:

•Environmental Engineering
•Geological Engineering
•Mechatronics Engineering
•Systems Design Engineering

Stream 4 is also possible for:

•Chemical Engineering
•Computer Engineering
•Electrical Engineering
•Mechanical Engineering

But with those you don't get to choose, you assigned either stream 4 or stream 8.
Was this helpful? Yes 0