yconic - *Really* hate university...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

*Really* hate university...

A photo of duberville duberville
Hello,

I'm currently in my first year at Carleton's Bachelor of Public Affairs and Policy Management. As is current, my grades are A+ (COMM1101),A (ECON1000),A (HIST1707),A- (PAPM1000),B+ (PSCI2003). I really, really, really hate it. It's not that it's hard, in fact, it's too easy. I barely go to class, nor do I study/take notes, and I'm doing fantastically. That is part of the issue - "ease of passage" through the program.

I truly dread going to class. The lectures are dull and simplistic, the student body generally dim witted, and the assignments inane.

I really am hating this, in fact, as Tommy Wiseau would yell, "it's tearing me apart!" If I had the financial resources, I would leave, but alas, I don't. What do you suggest I do to make the program more bearable, or an alternative?

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Zion Zion

@duberville wrote
as Tommy Wiseau would yell, "it's tearing me apart!"

+10000000000000000000

If you're finding it too easy and you can't transfer, then I would suggest taking more challenging courses that still interest you. And if you're only into social sciences, then take more upper-year courses and ones that allow you to do research. Maybe do co-op too. Try finding peers of a similar intellectual caliber, however scarce they may be at Carleton.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of duberville duberville

@Zion wrote

@duberville wrote
as Tommy Wiseau would yell, "it's tearing me apart!"

+10000000000000000000

If you're finding it too easy and you can't transfer, then I would suggest taking more challenging courses that still interest you. And if you're only into social sciences, then take more upper-year courses and ones that allow you to do research. Maybe do co-op too. Try finding peers of a similar intellectual caliber, however scarce they may be at Carleton.

Sadly, within my degree (which is considered on of Carleton's more... proficient degrees), my courses are fixed.

I'm also finding it really difficult to meet people... I don't live in residence, which makes the whole "social life" thing harder.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MaxwellEdison MaxwellEdison

@duberville wrote
Hello,

I'm currently in my first year at Carleton's Bachelor of Public Affairs and Policy Management. As is current, my grades are A+ (COMM1101),A (ECON1000),A (HIST1707),A- (PAPM1000),B+ (PSCI2003). I really, really, really hate it. It's not that it's hard, in fact, it's too easy. I barely go to class, nor do I study/take notes, and I'm doing fantastically. That is part of the issue - "ease of passage" through the program.

Really? I would have expected the opposite from a prestigious school like Carleton U.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
First year courses aren't that interesting, usually, because they're general/intro courses. Things should pick up as you advance, all of my favourite courses in university thus far have been ones I took this year (3rd year).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I don't see why you would be offended by university being easy. If intellectual stimulation is what you're yearning for, then just read books, watch documentaries, join an internet forum (even this one is good for that, to some extent), take philosophy or physics courses or whatever as electives, etc...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jesseyeahh Jesseyeahh
hahaha, I love The Room.

but maybe try to occupy yourself with books or something, in the meantime.
Was this helpful? Yes 0