yconic - REALLY low midterm marks - do I still have a chance of going to university?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

REALLY low midterm marks - do I still have a chance of going to university?

A photo of Voltex Voltex
So, midterm report cards were handed out today, and I'm completely devastated. I guess I deserved these marks cause I didn't really put any effort into it. Here are my midterm marks (I'm in Grade 12):

Accounting ---------------> 59
Advanced Functions -------> 66
International Business ---> 82

I know, these marks are absolutely horrible. I'm determined to raise my marks now cause I plan I know I can do a lot better in Accounting if I put in a bit of effort. Advanced Functions, on the other hand, I don't think I'll be able to raise that mark up by much. I'll be super happy if I can raise it to a 70 by the end of the semester (my teacher marks REALLY hard; the whole class is getting 60s-70s). International Business, I'm not too worried about. I know I can raise that mark up easily with just a little bit of effort. I'm just worried that my Accounting mark is too low now and that I won't be able to raise it up high enough by the end of the semester.

Here are my projected marks for the second semester:

Organizational Studies -----> 90
English --------------------> 80
Calculus and Vectors -------> 75

I'm really freaking out right now because of the horrible midterm marks. Did I really just screw up my life? Will I still be able to go to university? I was originally planning on going to Ryerson for Business Management, but after seeing these low marks, I'm just completely out of it.....
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
You're too optimistic with your 2nd term projections.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred
Seriously, you might have. What the hell were you thinking? Putting in no effort, you expected good marks? You didn't even get *decent* marks. Good luck going to school.

Either redo them, or try and work your ass off to get a low 80s average and hope they eat up the sob story you'll tell them and let you in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MrTwiggy MrTwiggy

@Voltex wrote
So, midterm report cards were handed out today, and I'm completely devastated. I guess I deserved these marks cause I didn't really put any effort into it. Here are my midterm marks (I'm in Grade 12):

Accounting ---------------> 59
Advanced Functions -------> 66
International Business ---> 82

I know, these marks are absolutely horrible. I'm determined to raise my marks now cause I plan I know I can do a lot better in Accounting if I put in a bit of effort. Advanced Functions, on the other hand, I don't think I'll be able to raise that mark up by much. I'll be super happy if I can raise it to a 70 by the end of the semester (my teacher marks REALLY hard; the whole class is getting 60s-70s). International Business, I'm not too worried about. I know I can raise that mark up easily with just a little bit of effort. I'm just worried that my Accounting mark is too low now and that I won't be able to raise it up high enough by the end of the semester.

Here are my projected marks for the second semester:

Organizational Studies -----> 90
English --------------------> 80
Calculus and Vectors -------> 75

I'm really freaking out right now because of the horrible midterm marks. Did I really just screw up my life? Will I still be able to go to university? I was originally planning on going to Ryerson for Business Management, but after seeing these low marks, I'm just completely out of it.....

No, you did not "screw up your life" xD. Mid-Term marks for the first semester does not mean you can't go to university. There are a lot of things you can do and different opportunities.

Universities only look at mid-term semester one reports for early admission. On top of that, if you work hard and bring up your marks a bit, and get the marks you are hoping for next semester, I have no doubt you will get into university. Besides all that, there is always the option of dropping accounting right now and re-doing it next semester if you think you will get a better mark. Also, if you aren't able to do those things, you can always try to do a victory lap and tack on another year to get better/increase your marks.

I honestly don't know who that person is to say 'Good luck going to school,' but that is ridiculous. Having two low marks in first semester MID-TERM is not the end of the world by a long shot.

EDIT: Also, mid-term marks aren't always weighted as 50% and are often in the 30-35% range when you take into account summatives and exams. So with that in mind, getting a 60 in mid-term report and then getting an 80 on consecutive assignments/summatives/exams means that you're average will be more in the 75% range. 80% is definitely enough to get into a decent university, albeit it not one of those 'prestigious' ones.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
"Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent with a minimum of six Grade 12 U or M courses including the following program specific requirements (a minimum overall average of 70% establishes eligibility for admission consideration; subject to competition individual programs may require higher pre-requisite grades and/or higher overall averages):

English/Anglais (ENG4U/EAE4U preferred)
Mathematics [One of: Advanced Functions (MHF4U), Calculus and Vectors (MCV4U) or Mathematics of Data Management (MDM4U)]
The minimum grade(s) required in the subject prerequisites (normally in the 70% range) will be determined subject to competition"

Try and get your Advanced Functions mark as high as you can, not just to a 70%. If you work hard, it isn't impossible to do well. That being said, these are midterm marks first semester as MrTwiggy said, so if you work your butt off for the rest of the semester, your prospects are not bad. Start second semester off better than this one, your second semester midterm marks are essential as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of christinakwan1 christinakwan1
Accounting—I've been there. If your teacher allows it, hand in any late assignments that you can. I went from a 60% to 88% within a month or two, you can do it:)
and as for Advanced functions, good luck. I tried so hard the whole semester, then messed up on my exam real bad. I ended up getting an 80% at least.
Was this helpful? Yes 0