yconic - Really?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Really?

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
Okay, so today when I visited Waterloo, I came across something insanely weird - a statement that just blew my mind...

So here is what happened. While we were visiting different faculties, we also visited Engineering building since few of my friends are planning to go into Engineering at Waterloo.

One of the classes were open for high school students to check out how things are taught in Uni. This wasn't an actual Uni class/lecture, so there were all high school students, not Uni students.

When we went into the class, some Robotics lecture was going on. Within few mins of the lecture, the lady professor made this statement...

"If you go to Public School, then you'll have to work harder in University."

WTF is this supposed to mean? :/

I go to Public School, and I was honestly offended. I know people who go to Private School just to get better/easy marks. On the other hand, we struggle our ass off here In Public School.

What a retarded thing to say that we, "Public School'ers will have to work harder in Uni." (LMAOO) :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Private school often = easy marks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1

@johnnycanuck wrote
Private school often = easy marks

True, but what she said was the exact contradiction.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oops, read that wrong. Well, obviously she's missing a few screws.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512
Before I joined SA, I too had the perception that public schools were easier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
BS.
:batman:
I have friends in private school but I go to public school and I work ten times harder than they do.
They get spoon fed all their answers.
DISLIKE.
:batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
Private schools don't necessarily mean those sketchy pay4mark schools some of our friends go to...

My friend's cousins go to a private school in America where they're already doing college credits (American college, which is our University :p) in High School.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IanSharer wrote
Private schools don't necessarily mean those sketchy pay4mark schools some of our friends go to...

My friend's cousins go to a private school in America where they're already doing college credits (American college, which is our University :p) in High School.

There are some fine institutions, but many are quite sketchy. I guess it's possible the prof only had experience with fancy, good private schools and not the sketchy pay4mark ones.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Nyx Nyx

@IanSharer wrote

It's called Advanced Placement :bball: It's offered in some public schools in Canada too, so I'd assume there must be many many public schools in the US that have AP courses
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of slader23 slader23
It all depends on where you go...I went to public school until the 8th grade and wasn't challenged whatsoever. Private school was the total opposite not only was I getting challenged if my averaged dropped to low I would be on academic probation. The private schools you hear of being easy are just newer institutions with poor educational standards. The school I am currently attending is the oldest Co-ed boarding school in Canada and utilizes very rigorous educational standards to ensure the progressive development of every student. Every course provided in my private school is Academic and most of my teachers are very highly educated most with Masters in relation to their respected courses. This year 100% of my graduating class has been accepted to University and all will attend. This isn't some summer school pay4mark system...It's NOT EASY I have been through both systems and trust me it is a shock how hard it is compared to public school...you may not believe me but you should understand where that woman is coming from...not only will I be slightly more prepared academically I have experienced years living away from my parent's in residence and can easily adapt and manage my time as a result of this when I go to University. I will clarify one thing though I totally agree with you when you say that some people go to private school just to get easier marks but those are the newer, cheaper and less reputable institutions...the general rule of thumb is the older and more known / reputable schools will be more expensive but will provide better education and that is where the difference between pay4mark and work4mark is made.
I just want you guys to understand that us in private school are struggling our asses off just as much as you are in terms of academics and maybe even more....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@Nyx wrote

@IanSharer wrote

It's called Advanced Placement :bball: It's offered in some public schools in Canada too, so I'd assume there must be many many public schools in the US that have AP courses

You beat me to it.

Most American high schools (whether public or private) have AP courses. And more and more Canadian schools are getting them now too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
There are two types of private schools. One kind is the legit kind, where you pay for your education and may or may not have to work harder than at a public school. The other kind is the sketchy kind, where you pay for your marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well, I think many people who go through public schools are not destined to do great things. Waterloo doesn't deserve your money. Choose another school with a good rep like U of T or Western.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
That professor is wrong. UW ranks schools individually, not by public or private status.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@LRooke wrote
That professor is wrong. UW ranks schools individually, not by public or private status.

Heh? He obviously wasn't speaking on behalf of Waterloo's admissions office, it's just his personal bias.
Was this helpful? Yes 0