yconic - Recommended Electives for a Health Sci/Life Sci/Bio- Med Student?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Recommended Electives for a Health Sci/Life Sci/Bio- Med Student?

A photo of bonafide603207 bonafide603207
What are you guys planning on taking? I need to limit my choices..Anyone taking organic chem first year?
What have you heard of specific courses? Difficulty, interest levels?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
You most likely won't be able to take orgo in 1st year because 1st year chem is a prereq for it. Most people take it in 2nd year, and the smart ones take it in the summer in between 1st and 2nd year (unfortunately I wasn't one of them). Orgo is easier in the summer when you don't have 4 other courses to juggle and can devote all your time to it (which you'll need unless you're naturally very good at organic chem).

Popular 1st year electives in my program (health sci): physics, economics, English/languages, psych, calculus. I took intro psych, physics and calculus in my 1st year.

It's a good idea to think ahead about what upper year electives you're interested in taking or if you want to pursue a minor to ensure you have the prereqs for those (eg. I knew I wanted to do a psych minor, which is why I took intro psych, since it would allow me to take upper level psych courses).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of slaughter slaughter

@inthemaking wrote
Popular 1st year electives in my program (health sci): physics, economics, English/languages, psych, calculus. I took intro psych, physics and calculus in my 1st year.

Psych sounds interesting but how are those 3 courses you took in terms of difficulty?
And just in general, to complete a psych minor would that require staying for all 4 years of the bhsc honours degree (eliminating the option of leaving after 3 years if you get into med school)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1
Wait is orgo Chemistry 1A03?
or Chemistry 1AA3? or something else... If its chem 1aa3 can't be take 1a03 in first sem. and the 1aa3 in second?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking

@slaughter wrote

@inthemaking wrote

Psych sounds interesting but how are those 3 courses you took in terms of difficulty?
And just in general, to complete a psych minor would that require staying for all 4 years of the bhsc honours degree (eliminating the option of leaving after 3 years if you get into med school)?

All 3 were pretty easy. 1st year courses are not very hard in general since they're all intro courses. No you could complete a psych minor in less than 4 years (at least at Mac), all you need is to take 24 units worth of psych courses (aka 8 courses). Of those 8 courses, only 2 of them have to be 3rd/4th courses. So you could complete it by the end of your 3rd year.

@safarhealthsci1 wrote
or Chemistry 1AA3? or something else... If its chem 1aa3 can't be take 1a03 in first sem. and the 1aa3 in second?

Orgo I is CHEM 2OA3 and orgo II is 2OB3. First year chem is CHEM 1A03 and 1AA3. Both are necessary to take CHEM 2OA3, which is why you can't take orgo till at least the summer after 1st year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1

@inthemaking wrote

@safarhealthsci1 wrote

Orgo I is CHEM 2OA3 and orgo II is 2OB3. First year chem is CHEM 1A03 and 1AA3. Both are necessary to take CHEM 2OA3, which is why you can't take orgo till at least the summer after 1st year.

Thanks for clarifying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0