yconic - Reference for Entrepreneurial Venture - Ivey
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Reference for Entrepreneurial Venture - Ivey

A photo of maynards maynards
I'm in a dilemma. I self initiated a drop shipping business on ebay since grade 9 and made $3000 in profit.

However, i was my own boss so i don't have a higher authority that can reference for me on this activity..

I did however at one point hire two employees(friends) and I would pay them to help me manage things.

Would my employee be a suitable reference? Should I attach a screenshot of some of my transactions on paypal with my application to prove my activity?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of Businessboy Businessboy

@maynards wrote
I'm in a dilemma. I self initiated a drop shipping business on ebay since grade 9 and made $3000 in profit.

However, i was my own boss so i don't have a higher authority that can reference for me on this activity..

I did however at one point hire two employees(friends) and I would pay them to help me manage things.

Would my employee be a suitable reference? Should I attach a screenshot of some of my transactions on paypal with my application to prove my activity?

I think it is a very good idea, it displays how much initiative you have taken in sense that you have started a business.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nehalkazim nehalkazim
Would a reference from a teacher be insufficient? I would speak to the department head for business, explain what you accomplished and your intentions with Ivey.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

thanks for your input. However, would it be suitable to have a teacher reference even though the teacher has never been involved or knew about my venture until now?

Because I can use my friend employee as a reference but Im scared they will find it sketchy as it afterall is a FRIEND that I hired.

and on the application im not sure where it is suitable to attach a .jpg file of my transaction proof :S

@nehalkazim wrote
Would a reference from a teacher be insufficient? I would speak to the department head for business, explain what you accomplished and your intentions with Ivey.

should i call them BEFORE i submit my app? what would I say? "is giving an employee(friend) reference sufficient proof of my venture?"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

lol, I see what you mean.

That's the only reason I was suggesting a teacher/department head because they are credible wehre your friend who will write exactly what you want him to may not be as credible.

In terms of proof, what are you considering to submit? Are you submitting financial statements? Shopping cart screenshots?

There is no harm in asking. I would ask if references from employees are legitimate. Also, what are the type of references that they prefer or see most frequently.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I would be attaching a screenshot of my PayPal account. with numerous transactions of the stuff I sold with their name and amount of each item.

Yeah. thanks for your suggestion, I think getting a teacher to reference for me is a lot better but under the "Position of reference" what would be suitable to write? if i were to use my friend, i could write Employee in that category.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

bump
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ndrwzheng ndrwzheng
Hey man, I actually can relate to you, as I used to run this eBay business too. You see, the AEO application really screws you over as they don't have a SEPARATE part where you can talk about your entrepreneurial ventures. For me that would've been great too, as I'm an entrepreneur myself.

I think I read somewhere that you can't attach anything with the application, but I could be wrong.

Best of luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

hey that's cool. but i already wrote my essay on the ebay business, so what do you suggest i do?
are you using the ebay venture as one of your 3 activities? cause i did.

Im thinking of using my business teacher as reference, i'd just have to tell him everything i did over the years, i figure that would be more legitimate than using my friend(past employee of mine)

please let me know what you're doing/would suggest
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ndrwzheng ndrwzheng

@maynards wrote
hey that's cool. but i already wrote my essay on the ebay business, so what do you suggest i do?
are you using the ebay venture as one of your 3 activities? cause i did.

Im thinking of using my business teacher as reference, i'd just have to tell him everything i did over the years, i figure that would be more legitimate than using my friend(past employee of mine)

please let me know what you're doing/would suggest

I'm not using the eBay business as I've actually started my own business that has been more successful (www.euphonymusic.ca if you're interested). Luckily for me when I started Euphony Music was that it was in cooperation with the Summer Company program run by the Gov't of Ontario. So that pretty much solves my reference problem. My suggestion for you would definitely be your business teacher. Go to the one that you have the strongest connection with as he/she will be the most optimistic about you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I would use the teacher as an "advisor". Explain your business and show the fact that you directly implemented the content from the business/accounting/economics/etc courses you have taken. This highlights the fact that you're leveraging school/class content and you've illustrated your ability to comprehend content to make it actionable.

Not sure if you're able to attach anything with your application. I just PM'ed you with a template for a balance sheet, income statement and cash flow statement in excel. If you input the numbers into those and can attach it, I know most people will not go as far as doing that. Plus, it makes you look legit, lol.

Hope it helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0