yconic - References for Scholarships!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

References for Scholarships!

A photo of jaymeshaughnessy jaymeshaughnessy
Hey everyone!

So i'm sure many of you are planning to apply for scholarships this year.

Do you think it would be alright if I asked my references to write a general reference letter for me, instead of asking them each time to change the name of the scholarship I am applying for?

Since most of my references are always busy and aren't too happy if I ask them multiple times to write me references.

Hence, would it be ok, if I asked my references to write:

"my name" is a good candidate for this scholarship/award, instead of writing:

"my name" is a good candidate for the Loran Award/RBC Scholarship/TD Scholarship etc.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725
I think it would be better to have a reference letter specifically tailored to each scholarship, but not absolutely necessary. For example, if a scholarship takes creativity into consideration, then it would definitely be beneficial to have your reference comment on your creativity. Same goes for leadership or character or acamdemics, etc. However, since many scholarships have similar criteria, a generic letter isn't too bad as long as it mentions the important stuff.

If you plan on using the same person for all of your references, make sure you ask them to save the letter. That way, they can easily insert the name of the scholarship before they print.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
They should be able to quite easily modify their general letter to be a bit more specific.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
I had the same issue, one of my main references went on maternity leave right when I was trying to get scholarships done. What I did was get her permission to change the name of the scholarship on the electronic copy she provided.
Was this helpful? Yes 0