yconic - References to extra curriculars
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

References to extra curriculars

A photo of heyppl123 heyppl123
how often do universities call the reference number?
wat do they ask for on application form?
wat do they ask ur reference person?
do they ask based on name or student #? cuz have to sort that out with the reference stuff
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of Chara Chara

@heyppl123 wrote

Never
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TKBCOM14 TKBCOM14

@Chara wrote

@heyppl123 wrote

Never

idiot, when i applied to Ivey AEO, they contacted couple of my references via phone.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@TKBCOM14 wrote

@Chara wrote

@heyppl123 wrote

Never

idiot, when i applied to Ivey AEO, they contacted couple of my references via phone.

None of mine were contacted.

To the OP, they don't call everybody, just some. I'm not too sure how they decide though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TKBCOM14 TKBCOM14

@Username81 wrote

@TKBCOM14 wrote

@Chara wrote

@heyppl123 wrote

Never

None of mine were contacted.

To the OP, they don't call everybody, just some. I'm not too sure how they decide though.

probably because i claimed to have raised $20,000
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chara Chara

@TKBCOM14 wrote

@Chara wrote

@heyppl123 wrote

Never

When I applied to Ivey they didn't contact anyone.

Maybe you were right on the cutoff line or maybe your marks were so bad they had to make sure your ecs were legit. Or maybe your essay was written in such a pretentious way they wanted to make double sure you weren't BSing the whole thing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mh99 mh99
Depends on the program. Many Ivey/Rotman applicants I know had their references contacted. I'm pretty sure it's random, or if you're close to the cutoff. It's an easy way of narrowing down applicants for highly competitive programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
As far as I know, every one of my friends that applied to Ivey had a reference check. It would be pointless for us to fill out all that detailed information about the contacts for EACH extracurricular if they are not even going to call one of them. Queen's didn't call, and for Schulich even if you were to put that you were the President of the U.S. they wouldn't care they just need a 90. Ivey is pretty much the only one that checks up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@goldmansachs wrote
As far as I know, every one of my friends that applied to Ivey had a reference check. It would be pointless for us to fill out all that detailed information about the contacts for EACH extracurricular if they are not even going to call one of them. Queen's didn't call, and for Schulich even if you were to put that you were the President of the U.S. they wouldn't care they just need a 90. Ivey is pretty much the only one that checks up.

Ivey didn't check mine. I think they judge it by the quality of your EC's. If they seem really good perhaps they want to check to ensure you're not lying. If the EC's aren't stellar then the applicant probably isn't lying. Like TKBCOM14 said, he claimed to have raised $20,000....That's worth checking up on because, let's face it, not many of us have raised a quarter of that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I raised 11K :$
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@goldmansachs wrote
I raised 11K :$

Sorry, not many people have raise 3/5 of $20,000 ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

lmao
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mxfire mxfire
Ivey didn't call any of mine, but they did for a few of my friends. I'm going to say it's completely random. However, you don't want to take the chance of being the unlucky soul that gets caught lying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0