yconic - Refused admission to UofT Life Science, Appeal Letter? Please answer question!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Refused admission to UofT Life Science, Appeal Letter? Please answer question!

A photo of ibraheemnadeem ibraheemnadeem
Ok, I am an American/Canadian citizen in the 12th grade her in America, I am in an American high school, and many of you maybe know that we have to take the ACT exam here. Well I had pretty low scores on my ACT, and that is why I believe I was refused admission to U of T life science, I am very depressed right now, just because I really wanted to go there.

I was accepted to York Biochemistry, and still waiting on some other universities.

My question is: How do I send them an appeal letter asking for them to reconsider my refusal? I was able to maintain a 4.0 GPA first semester of 12th grade, which is all 8 classes of mine with a 95% + average. I just am not a very good test taker when it comes to standardized tests such as the ACT, but at school, I believe I am pretty successful. So who do I contact, or call to send an appeal letter? I also have many extra curricular activities going on for me.

I'm pretty sure if I was in Canada right now, I would have gotten accepted, but being here makes everything so much more complicated due to all the extra requirements.

I am in dire need of help, and any help would be appreciated!

Thank You
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Yes, I can 100% say that had you been completing your studies in Canada you would have been accepted. In fact, I would say you'd receive acceptance to any science/pre-med/life-sci/biomed etc. program you applied to (well, McMaster Health Sciences is another story but I won't get into that.)

I would suggest contacting either by phone or email the U of T admissions office, I'm fairly certain there's contact information available online. I would suggest inquiring about their policy on acceptance reconsideration and go from there, be specific about being an American applicant. Once you know their policy, they will probably inform you of the general process, which will probably (don't quote me on this, I know nothing, just guessing) include a proposal statement/letter, your transcript, and possibly other forms that they may have you fill out, such as extra curriculars, work/volunteer experience, that sort. I would suggest going about this as soon as possible.

What other Canadian universities/programs have you applied to, out of curiosity? :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
Understand the reason for standardized testing in the USA: the high school marks are not seen as reliable (reliable in the pedagogical sense whereby same work at different times and different places should get the same mark). Just because you got such a high average there does not mean it would've happened in Canada. You can appeal the decision, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll change their minds.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ But I would argue that a lot of Ontario grades (i.e. sham private schools) are equally unreliable. But that's another argument...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of alvihabib alvihabib
OP:

I am also a Canadian citizen in the USA; Arizona, to be specific. Last week I got my acceptance to UofT Life Sci with biochem. Haven't heard back from McMaster biochem or Western Chem & Biochem as of yet.

My grades are, although above average, not remarkable. I think my cumulative GPA is around 3.6 (I slack badass-like). However I think I do fairly well on standardized tests (I took the SATs; 97th percentile for my composite). I believe the school that I go to is one of the tougher public schools in the state (we sent 3 kids to Harvard last year; 600 kids total in my graduating year). But I don't think that would make a difference.

I think what happened is the board was under the possibly false impression that your school was "easy," or something due to your ACT scores.

Have you not taken the SATs? Maybe that's your thing. Most colleges here in the USA and in Canada give more weight to SATs over ACTs, as far as I know.

Sorry if this isn't of any use, just thought some statistics from other fellow yanks may better help you assess your situation.

Good luck, home slice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ibraheemnadeem ibraheemnadeem
OK, So I contacted the school, found out I was missing a pre-requisite course requirement. I had one AP Class, and I need 2 AP classes or 2 IB classes. Same reason I got refused admission to MAC. I got accepted to York's Biochemistry program, and think I'm going to end up going there. Any thought about the York Biochemistry program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of commander108 commander108
Why do you want to come to Canada? American universities are so much better. They have smaller class sizes, more funding, better campus environments and much better student life. York is an 80% commuter school meaning you will be going to high school for another 4 years. U of T is also a commuter school with a depressing student life. I would ask you to reconsider coming to Canada for university (otherwise we are a great country to work and live). In addition, York is not considered a very good school in Canada reputation wise. (except for its Schulich Business School).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@commander108 wrote
Why do you want to come to Canada? American universities are so much better. They have smaller class sizes, more funding, better campus environments and much better student life. York is an 80% commuter school meaning you will be going to high school for another 4 years. U of T is also a commuter school with a depressing student life. I would ask you to reconsider coming to Canada for university (otherwise we are a great country to work and live). In addition, York is not considered a very good school in Canada reputation wise. (except for its Schulich Business School).

American universities are also a LOT more expensive. And a "good" campus environment and "good" student life are all very subjective things. I went to a commuter school in my undergrad, and was a commuter, and I had a great experience.
Was this helpful? Yes 0