yconic - Regarding Co-op and UBC
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Regarding Co-op and UBC

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey, so I'm transferring into second year at UBC. By September 15, I will have needed to apply for co-op (or not). I'm undecided yet whether I want to do it or not. Another year on to the degree sounds like a lot when I could just get internships over the summer anyway. So... My question is: How important is it to do co-op for engineering (I'm doing civil)?

For honours?
For your CV?
To be considered for graduate schools around and outside of Canada?
To be considered by employers?

So, basically if you really want to be considered a top student coming out of UBC, do you pretty much have to take co-op for engineering?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
My school (U of A) offers co-op and non co-op. While it is possible to get summer jobs when you're not in co-op, I can't tell you how many companies told me they only hire co-op students. Which is stupid. I had the grades, etc. to be in co-op, but couldn't because it would have affected my ability to play varsity rugby.

However, if you have good connections and can get yourself a summer job easily, then co-op is totally unnecessary.

In summary:
For honours? - I'm not sure what you mean by this
For your CV? - Co-op will make your CV look awesome if you can't get jobs by yourself
To be considered for graduate schools around and outside of Canada? - Graduate schools want to see research experience more than work experience, unless you're going for a course based Master's or something
To be considered by employers? - Same as CV
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ninetyone11 ninetyone11

@Anonymous wrote
Hey, so I'm transferring into second year at UBC. By September 15, I will have needed to apply for co-op (or not). I'm undecided yet whether I want to do it or not. Another year on to the degree sounds like a lot when I could just get internships over the summer anyway. So... My question is: How important is it to do co-op for engineering (I'm doing civil)?

For honours?
For your CV?
To be considered for graduate schools around and outside of Canada?
To be considered by employers?

So, basically if you really want to be considered a top student coming out of UBC, do you pretty much have to take co-op for engineering?

Hey, if you don't mind me asking what was your average GPA for being accepted into UBC? What courses did you take? Where were you coming from?
Was this helpful? Yes 0