yconic - Rejected from Queen's Science?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Rejected from Queen's Science?

A photo of bioboy bioboy
Hey guys,

I have a 86.3% average and I just saw on MyQueen's that I got rejected from the program. I saw that people with 85% got waitlisted on this forum. Why wasn't I competitive for this program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Probably the PSE. i got waitlisted with an 85
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
it also depends on your program
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Fawlkes Fawlkes
Queen's has what they call a 'floating automatic admissions point'. Basically they start with the top students and all applicants who have an average above whatever the magic number is, are offered a spot. Below that is what they call the 'competitive range'. These people are close to the automatic addmissions point, and thier addmission is based on a combination of grades and PSE. The number of spots offered on the basis of the PSE depend on the number of spots that go to the automatic admissions group. You would have fallen into the competitive range,then your PSE was evaluated and the desision made. The people with the 85 must have had a stronger PSE. In my case I got into ConEd with an 89 though one of my friends did not get in with a 92. And of course there is the possibility of grade modification based on the high school you attend. Waterloo is the only school to admit to grade ajustment, but it is possible that more schools do it, including Queen's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mxfire mxfire

@Fawlkes wrote
Queen's has what they call a 'floating automatic admissions point'. Basically they start with the top students and all applicants who have an average above whatever the magic number is, are offered a spot. Below that is what they call the 'competitive range'. These people are close to the automatic addmissions point, and thier addmission is based on a combination of grades and PSE. The number of spots offered on the basis of the PSE depend on the number of spots that go to the automatic admissions group. You would have fallen into the competitive range,then your PSE was evaluated and the desision made. The people with the 85 must have had a stronger PSE. In my case I got into ConEd with an 89 though one of my friends did not get in with a 92. And of course there is the possibility of grade modification based on the high school you attend. Waterloo is the only school to admit to grade ajustment, but it is possible that more schools do it, including Queen's.

Queen's does indeed do it. I was speaking to one of my teachers and she told me that Queen's had contacted our school a couple years ago and informed them that they allowed students applying from here a 2~3% boost depending on their PSE.
Was this helpful? Yes 0