yconic - Rejected to Mcgill =(
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Rejected to Mcgill =(

A photo of sammyz18 sammyz18
Please if anyone has been accepted to chemical or mechanical engineering can you tell me your mark. I had a 90.2 average and i was positive i would have gotten in for at least one of them =(. It was my first choice now i guess i have to go to Queens or UBC
Was this helpful? Yes 0
18 replies

A photo of caesar caesar

@sammyz18 wrote
Please if anyone has been accepted to chemical or mechanical engineering can you tell me your mark. I had a 90.2 average and i was positive i would have gotten in for at least one of them =(. It was my first choice now i guess i have to go to Queens or UBC

McGill, in general, is pretty prestigious. A 90.2 average may have been borderline this year (consider the amount of competition in other universities as well).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tom1nat0r tom1nat0r
i heard mcgill engineering only requires a 78% average to get in. i dont know how in the world you got rejected.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah i realize that. I'm just pretty rattled that i didnt get into chemical at least. The previous average was 88, how much did it fluxuate in one year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mechboyy mechboyy

@sammyz18 wrote
Yeah i realize that. I'm just pretty rattled that i didnt get into chemical at least. The previous average was 88, how much did it fluxuate in one year?

i dont know about that.. mcgill can't have a higher average than waterloo
Was this helpful? Yes 0

http://www.mcgill.ca/applying/standards/canada/

Look at the averages for last year. Chemical Engineering required an 88, ive seen people get in last year with an 88.4, the i get rejected the next year with a 90.2? Im pretty onfused
Was this helpful? Yes 0

http://www.mcgill.ca/applying/standards/canada/

Look at the averages for last year. Chemical Engineering required an 88, ive seen people get in last year with an 88.4, the i get rejected the next year with a 90.2? Im pretty confused
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caesar caesar

@mechboyy wrote

@sammyz18 wrote

i dont know about that.. mcgill can't have a higher average than waterloo

McGill probably has a lot more international applicants in comparison to Waterloo. Thus, there is more competition for less spots.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mechboyy mechboyy
why do the admission averages vary drastically?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mechboyy wrote

I wish i knew man, like, i was so shure, sooo shure i was getting in. I think thats what makes ths rejection so bad, i thought i was in for sure. Then to get hit by a rejection, i dont even know what to say..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caesar caesar

@mechboyy wrote

The admission averages they list are for consideration. The actual cut-off is defined by competition, which varies every year. Competition almost always increases annually, increasing the cut-off average with it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@caesar wrote

@mechboyy wrote

The admission averages they list are for consideration. The actual cut-off is defined by competition, which varies every year. Competition almost always increases annually, increasing the cut-off average with it.

Yeah of course, my question is by how much? Did it honestly increase over 2% this year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of fruitpunch9 fruitpunch9
I got in w/ a very high 2nd semester midterm average with two 97s, and they accepted me right after OUAC update. What I'm thinking of is that marks other than your top 6 are considered as well...I also have this feeling that McGill is very competitive. I'm going to uoft though so there's another spot for you guys.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Im in alberta so its only top 5 for us. And im all my prerequisites or required courses are all above the minimum averages necessary... I guess the averages just went up ridiculously high this year.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zaidpass zaidpass
I was researching on Mcgill and if your an Ontario applicant it is much harder to get into Mcgill compared to a Quebec resident. For Ontario students you need low 90's because there are really few spots available.

I think, I am not 100% sure, but I know I read it on their website. You can also search their last year admission average
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Posai Posai
Man, I am so sorry for you....You actually added an aditional stress to me..cause my average is not that far from you..95% for my top 6 and today they asked about my 9-12 grades which were not that high (82-85)% so I dont know if they will take in consideration these marks as much as my top 6...Formally, tomorrow is the last day for ontarian students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
So if you go to McGill do you have to learn to speak French?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of civilboy civilboy
I also got rejected 90.2 average buy civil but the minimum was a 88 that's ok il just take my 40 grand from UBC nd go there come!!! UBC is better than queens:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0